Rain Forest Tour Before Cruise?

tasbm1

I am looking for recommendations for a tour guide that will pick us up at our hotel Sunday morning, take us to the rain forest and then drop us off at Adventure of the Seas later that day. Thanks! Terri

tasbm1-

We did El Yunque on the day we returned from AOS (Sunday, July 3). We did not go as a tour, as we rented a car and spent four more days on the island.

A couple of recommendations--- go early and pick a tour company that doesn't use big buses. 9-passenger vans would be about as big as I would recommend. The streets are very narrow and when you get up into the forest, it's very windy roads. If you have anyone who has carsickness tendencies, leave them behind in Old San Juan! Big buses may not even be a possibility, because I don't even remember seeing any, up in the park.

Since we got off the boat and went in the afternoon, it was VERY crowded. Every turnout/parking lot was full. The rangers were even discouraging people to come into the park at the entrance. Perhaps it was because it was a long weekend (July 4 was on Monday), but traffic all the way from San Juan to the turnoff was heavy.

On the "plus" side, since the National Parks have taken over, they have cleaned this place up. We lived in PR 30 years ago, and our unfortunate memory of El Yunque was ALL of the litter. This has changed for the better. The visitor's center is nice as well (it's the only place we found a parking space).

Enjoy AOS. It is an incredible ship! :cool:

• 2 months later...
tasbm1-

We did El Yunque on the day we returned from AOS (Sunday, July 3). We did not go as a tour, as we rented a car and spent four more days on the island.

A couple of recommendations--- go early and pick a tour company that doesn't use big buses. 9-passenger vans would be about as big as I would recommend. The streets are very narrow and when you get up into the forest, it's very windy roads. If you have anyone who has carsickness tendencies, leave them behind in Old San Juan! Big buses may not even be a possibility, because I don't even remember seeing any, up in the park.

Since we got off the boat and went in the afternoon, it was VERY crowded. Every turnout/parking lot was full. The rangers were even discouraging people to come into the park at the entrance. Perhaps it was because it was a long weekend (July 4 was on Monday), but traffic all the way from San Juan to the turnoff was heavy.

On the "plus" side, since the National Parks have taken over, they have cleaned this place up. We lived in PR 30 years ago, and our unfortunate memory of El Yunque was ALL of the litter. This has changed for the better. The visitor's center is nice as well (it's the only place we found a parking space).

Bump this up - I would like to know this as well. We are on the AOS 11/27 - flying in on 11/26 and we want to do this tour before we board the ship - unfortunately it doesn't look like RCCL would offer this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

tasbm1-

Bump this up - I would like to know this as well. We are on the AOS 11/27 - flying in on 11/26 and we want to do this tour before we board the ship - unfortunately it doesn't look like RCCL would offer this. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We are flying in Thanksgiving day (11-24) and staying 2 nights precruise (Serenade OTS). Have a car rented Sat 11/26 thru Hertz (pickup at Sheraton Old San Juan) near our hotel. Medium size suv w/unltd. mileage for $ 57.00 for the day. We plan to drive up ourselves and hike to La Mina waterfall and picnic and then back to hotel, then ship by 4:00.

It is 45 minute drive from San Juan, 40 minute hike down to La Mina and back and we are allowing 2-3 hrs. extra . Ship does not leave until 10:00 pm but want to have dinner (early seating) onboard.

Try these www.hechoenpuertorico.org/yunqaue/hik_elyu.htm for different hiking trails.

also : www.fs.fed.us/r8/caribbean/recreation for info from us federal park dept. which runs El Yunque

Good luck

My two cents is that if you have been to Hawaii, don't bother with El Yunque. The path is narrow and uneven. The foliage is all green. There was no blooming foliage when we were there in July. It is quite a hike. The waterfalls, when we were there, were full of people, couldn't even take a decent picture. I am not trying to sound so negative, I am just trying to not let people make the same mistake that we did. A rainforest sound so good, but this one doesn't compare to Hawaii. If you haven't been to Hawaii, you'll probably like it. (IMHO)!

Unfortunately I havent had the opportunity to get to Hawaii - YET !

So still looking forward to El Yunque. We are going with our best friends and any time away from work and with them is a great time !

Haven't been fortunate enough to get to Hawaii yet, either, so we want to see the rain forest, also - just trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Try Jerry at Coqui PIE. I believe the PIE stands for Personal island Excursions. He also has a website. He picked us up at 9:00 a.m. at our hotel (Wyndham Condado) and we went to El Yunque just my wife and I in his Jeep Laredo SUV. We then spent the next 7 hours with Jerry experiencing what I consider one of the highlights of our trip. We did El Yunque, the beach near El Yunque, The old Spanish Cemetery, Old San Juan and then we went to the hotel and got our bags and he dropped us off at the AOS about 4:00 p.m. Would do it again in a flash. Highly recmmended.

Try Jerry at Coqui PIE. I believe the PIE stands for Personal island Excursions. He also has a website. He picked us up at 9:00 a.m. at our hotel (Wyndham Condado) and we went to El Yunque just my wife and I in his Jeep Laredo SUV. We then spent the next 7 hours with Jerry experiencing what I consider one of the highlights of our trip. We did El Yunque, the beach near El Yunque, The old Spanish Cemetery, Old San Juan and then we went to the hotel and got our bags and he dropped us off at the AOS about 4:00 p.m. Would do it again in a flash. Highly recmmended.

Do you remember the website and how much did it cost? That's exactly what we're looking for.

Do you remember the website and how much did it cost? That's exactly what we're looking for.

Well I emailed him and a reponse came back quickly that he was away from PR until July 16th (does that mean 2006?). He recommended an Alvin Robles - anyone know anything about him?

Hi, I just posted this info on another thread...for what it's worth here is our experience...

We took a tour to El Yunque in Dec 2002, but we were staying in PR for two days at the time before boarding the Adventure of the Seas for 7 nights So. Carib.

The tour operator we used was E & B Tours and Transportation (Eva and Ben). email: vanytours@aol.com. The half-day tour at that time was $40 per person...but it was SO worth it! Tel: 787-603-4067 and 787-603-4069.

Ben picked us up at 10am at our hotel (Tres Palmas), then picked up two other couples at another hotel and took us all up to El Yunque. He showed us the highlights (need vehicle to drive around park, highlights include La Coca Falls and Yokahu Tower) and let us hike a path in the forest to La Mina Falls that was beautiful and refreshing (bring a suit and towel or two). We did not get to the top of El Yunque Peak as this is a long hike, you probably need a VERY early start.

After the EY tour, we mentioned going to Luquillo beach and he took us there, but not before stopping for banana snacks and a roadside dinner place first because we were hungry. He was personable and knowledgable, we bought him lunch and tipped well.

I can't remember how long were were on this "half-day" tour, but I fell asleep on the ride back. It was one the second best tour I ever had on vacation (second to Cave Tubing in Belize).

I'm sure they can drop you off at the boat if you want.

We are booked on the tour on November 4th - the day before our cruise. We booked with http://www.shoretrips.com.

I can give an update after I return from this cruise if that will give you enough time to book before your cruise.

Are they also transporting you to the ship? I'm sure the tour will be good, but what we need is a tour the day we embark the ship and then someone that will drop us off at the pier.

We are in San Juan from 2pm- 10pm is that enough time to visit the rain forest? Or should we just hang out in the shops in old San Juan, have a coctail in one of their bars and head back to the ship for 8:30 dinner?

Went to the fort last time. Any suggestions?

If your ship docks at 2 : you wouldnt really be off until 2:30, then about an hour drive to rainforest = 3:30. The most popular hike is to La Mina waterfall (about 45 minutes EACH WAY) and then another hour drive back. That puts you back into port area at 6:30. Do-able but rushed (might get dark).

Are you talking tour or drive yourself? Would probably need private tour to custom fit your time frame. You didnt say what time of year you will be there but it may get dark early (check out www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=226 ) this will give you sunrise and sunset for san juan. For your specific date use the custom view option at the top.

juliew -

shoretrips replied to my e-mail and advised that we leave our luggage at the hotel while we are on the Rainforest tour and the tour guide will stop back at the hotel to pick up the luggage and take us to the ship - but will charge the same fare as the taxi fare from the hotel (Marriott) to the ship (Serenade).

juliew -

shoretrips replied to my e-mail and advised that we leave our luggage at the hotel while we are on the Rainforest tour and the tour guide will stop back at the hotel to pick up the luggage and take us to the ship - but will charge the same fare as the taxi fare from the hotel (Marriott) to the ship (Serenade).

Yes, I received an email from Shoretrips as well - they said they could do it. I have also had contact from an Alvin at Island Boy Tours who is being recommended by Jerry(?) from Copquie(Sp?) - personal tour for $65 including drop off at pier - I like his description of what will occur. Just a little nervous because I don't know much about him although he sounds very nice. I'd like to get some confirmation from others who may have used him though. I need to make a decision soon. Shoretrips tour is $84.00 - but I know they are reputable.

Well I emailed him and a reponse came back quickly that he was away from PR until July 16th (does that mean 2006?). He recommended an Alvin Robles - anyone know anything about him?

I haven't used Alvin yet but have tours booked with him for our Destiny cruise in December. He too was referred to me by Jerry. He's quick to respond with emails, we're all set to go. : )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I haven't used Alvin yet but have tours booked with him for our Destiny cruise in December. He too was referred to me by Jerry. He's quick to respond with emails, we're all set to go. : )

Remember our conversation about Alvin - well I decided to go with him and we had email confirmation as of the end of October.

I have emailed him now 3 times to confirm for this next week 11/27 - and he has yet to email me back to confirm. Now I'm starting to get nervous.

What do you think?

We went on the tour with shoretrips on Nov. 4th. Our tourguide was Hilda and she was wonderful - what a trip (both Hilda and the rainforest). Hilda called several times to confirm pickup time and location. She had a Pathfinder so she was not able to take the luggage for the four of us so we stored the luggage at the Marriott and she took us back there to pick it up. Took a taxi to the cruise ship - taxi was at the Marriott within minutes.

Have you paid Alvin for the trip? If you haven't, based on what you said, I would cancel with him and book with Shoretrips.com

We went on the tour with shoretrips on Nov. 4th. Our tourguide was Hilda and she was wonderful - what a trip (both Hilda and the rainforest). Hilda called several times to confirm pickup time and location. She had a Pathfinder so she was not able to take the luggage for the four of us so we stored the luggage at the Marriott and she took us back there to pick it up. Took a taxi to the cruise ship - taxi was at the Marriott within minutes.

Have you paid Alvin for the trip? If you haven't, based on what you said, I would cancel with him and book with Shoretrips.com

No - he said because it wasn't a busy time of the year prepayment wasn't needed. He came recommended by Jerry and I enjoyed the content of the emails and really liked the type of tour he was providing. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow, I'm going to email Shoretrips again - I got info from them and my gut instinct was go to with them - but I thought I would be a little bit more adventuresome this time - guess I chose wrong. I may be too late now to set something up at all.

Archived