San Juan excursion ideas - dock at 3:30pm

cman67

We are cruising Celebrity for the first time on the Silhouette next January 4th.

We are looking for ideas for our day in San Juan. The ship docks at 3:30pm so daylight will be an issue.

We've never been there so we're open to anything but we have one person in our group, my dad, that's will be in a wheelchair. He can transfer, the chair is foldable and he can walk short distances.

Any ideas? I'm think some time at a fort. Which one and can we get there easily from the pier.

Thanks!!

San Juan Food and Culture Tour is an option. It is very well reviewed online. We had booked this tour for our last week's arrival aboard the Breakaway. Unfortunately we were unable to complete the tour. We were given gift certificates and have listed them on eBay at significant savings. Just search Flavors of San Juan Food Tour on eBay and check out their website. It seems that a lot of people really enjoy it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are cruising Celebrity for the first time on the Silhouette next January 4th.

We are looking for ideas for our day in San Juan. The ship docks at 3:30pm so daylight will be an issue.

We've never been there so we're open to anything but we have one person in our group, my dad, that's will be in a wheelchair. He can transfer, the chair is foldable and he can walk short distances.

Any ideas? I'm think some time at a fort. Which one and can we get there easily from the pier.

Thanks!!

The forts close at 5, so time may be an issue to see them. It is easy to walk to, but it is all uphill, so for your dads chair it might be hard to get to. I would suggest you take a taxi to Fort San Cristobel. You can get around most of the fort in a chair. The sidewalk to El Morrow from San Cristobel is easy for a chair, fairly level and wide. The streets and sidewalks are very easy to walk, but I would not call all of them wheelchair friendly. There is also a very nice walk along the bottom of the old city wall, that is very wheelchair friendly and is such a nice place to be at sunset. If there are people to help and since your dad can walk short distances he should be able to get around.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were planning to do San Juan on our own and tour the forts which I understand are not far from the cruise port. Apparently the Forts close at 5:00 pm which leaves very little time. What are some other suggestions for San Juan with a 3:00 pm scheduled arrival?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How long are you in port for? We took a tour called Night Tales of OSJ with Legends of Puerto Rico. It was from 6:00 until 8:00 pm. We were there the night before our cruise so we thought it was a great introduction to Old San Juan. They say most of it is accessible but you should discuss it with them before you book. For $35 per person, we thought it was great. We didn't go into any of the forts as they were closed at that time. The meeting place is near San Cristobel if you wanted to try and go in there first.

OSJ is a really nice place to walk around and look at things. With that time in port, I would suggest heading over to San Cristobel to see at least one of the forts before they close. If you're quick you might get to both, but I think we spent about an hour at San Cristobel. I'm not a big military history buff, but I really enjoyed the forts. After that you might want to just walk around and go somewhere for dinner and drinks. Or, if you book ahead of time, go on the Legends of Puerto Rico night tour. You could do the fort, then grab a bite, then do the tour, or go for dinner after the tour. It ends at 8:00. We covered a lot of ground and saw some things we wouldn't have seen just walking around on our own.

The forts close at 5, so time may be an issue to see them. It is easy to walk to, but it is all uphill, so for your dads chair it might be hard to get to. I would suggest you take a taxi to Fort San Cristobel. You can get around most of the fort in a chair. The sidewalk to El Morrow from San Cristobel is easy for a chair, fairly level and wide. The streets and sidewalks are very easy to walk, but I would not call all of them wheelchair friendly. There is also a very nice walk along the bottom of the old city wall, that is very wheelchair friendly and is such a nice place to be at sunset. If there are people to help and since your dad can walk short distances he should be able to get around.

I went to San Juan last Febuary and I am in a chair and you can make it from the dock to El Morro if you keep to the left and go outside the wall

which is awsum and thru the big ass red door and make a left. The problem is a big hill and cobblestone streets, few cut-outs and the sidewalks are as about as wide as your chair. You can see most of the fort in a chair. The fun part is going back to the ship, all down hill. Have fun

Edited by QuickieGlenn