Questions about Prague Uniworld River Cruise

Cruisenmike711

Hello! I have a preliminary booking on a 2015 Danube Discovery & Prague in May with Uniworld on the River Ambassador and just had a couple of questions:

1. Is there any real pros/cons about which direction we take from the first day til the end? Right now we are booked so that we start at the hotel in Prague and then cruise to Vienna.

2. My wife has been wanting to visit Prague for years, so we will probably be extending that portion of the trip. Is May a good time of year to visit?

3. As of today, we have booked a suite. Is having the suite worth it on this cruise?

Thanks!

There may be some (small) advantage to going in the direction you are since you're going in the direction the river flows. The distances aren't that great, so it really doesn't impact port time very much.

This cruise covers the "between" part of the Danube we haven't cruised. Our first ended in Nuremburg with an extension into Prague, the next picked up in Passau on to Budapest.

The provided tours allow you to see the highlights and you will have some time to explore on your own. It really depends on how much you want to see and do that's not included in the tours.

I can't speak to time of year, we've always cruised in fall.

For the suite, if the extra space is important to you and you can afford it, the suites are very nice. However, we discovered the days are fairly full and we spend very little time in the cabins, so we try to economize there (as long as we get at least a real window). Even when you're cruising, we'd prefer to be on top or in the lounge so we could see both sides of the river. The normal cabin size is very small, the suite gets you more floor space and a little more space in the bathroom.

We did Brussels to Nuremberg, with Prague extension in 2012 on the River Ambassador - so a different route to you, but still with the Prague extension. We did Prague at the end. Don't think it would have mattered much which way around, but that departure suited our other Europe travel.

Prague is gorgeous. This was our second time there, and we would go back again. How much free time you have there depends on how many of the optional tours you do. We just did the included city tour, with none of the optionals, so we had plenty of time to wander on our own, which we enjoy. Depending on your interests some of the optionals sounded quite good.

We have done two cruises with Uniworld (third coming up) but have never travelled in a suite. We would never pay the extra for the suite, as we seem to spend very little time in the cabin on a river cruise, so it would not feel like value for money.

Don't know about time of year. We are limited to always doing Europe travel in August/September because of our business.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the replies! We've decided to go with a Category 1 (category right below the suite) as it doesn't sound like the upgraded space will be put to good use during our trip. Also, we've decided to end in Prague and extend the stay in Prague when it becomes available. Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it :)

Roaming_kiwi, I'm making a comfortable assumption that since you're doing your third cruise with Uniworld that you like their brand, lol. It seems like they have great offerings. Is there any other selling points they have over another line from your POV? I was just curious...