Penguin tours in South America

poodle dog

If you only have one chance to see/be close to the penguins, this is it. We did this tour, it was excellent, on a rainy day. We will go again in February and probaby do a city tour (or what's available). It was a miserable, rainy, cold day waiting to get back on the ship, so we will make sure that we have a firm excursion, rather than wandering.

Hi, no-one seems to have mentioned Pira Tours in Ushuaia. If you are Port for preferably 8 hours or more, then there is sufficient time to get to Martillo Island where there are a lot of Magellanic Penguins, a small number of Gentoo Penguins, and on my last visit in February this year, there were even a couple of King Penguins too. There are only 20 people allowed on the Island at any one time, so it is a real privilege to get there. Check them out on Trip Advisor etc.

Would you recommend the day tour in Ushuaia even if this is the first time there? I wanted to see Tierra del Fuego--green lagoon, beaver dam,wooden stairs to view the mountains, Latatai Bay,...so if the tour to Martillo Island takes 8 hours don't thing I could see anything else. We dock at 10 am and leave at 7pm. Thanks for your recommendation

JJ

Bluff Cove Lagoon on the Falklands is excellent.

We got penguins and dolphins and some delicious cakes!

The drive out with a local driver who provided a really interesting commentary added a really good insight into life on the islands.

We also had some time left to wander around Stanley.

As far as I know, you can book directly with them if your ship doesn't offer the excursion, but most do.