Water taxi to Caye Caulker - nice relaxing day!

blue_water

Really enjoyed our day last week on CC, the 45 minute water taxi is very easy and inexpensive at $45/couple roundtrip, just walk out of the port area and walk to the left for the San Pedro Express water taxi. We were in port 10 hours and spent 4 hours on CC followed by a couple hours in the port area of Belize. You can also fly between CC and the muni airport not far from the port area but be sure to allow for taxi time.

We enjoyed relaxing at the Lazy Lizard, beer was $2.00 and the burritos and nachos were excellent. The girls had a Lizard Juice ($5 each) and loved them. The LL is a 10 minute leisurely stroll from the water taxi pier, and we took a golf cart taxi back for $10 for the 4 of us. You can also find some very nice rosewood and mahogany carvings at shops along the way at reasonable prices.

We've been to Goff's Caye and enjoyed the beauty there. This visit we wanted to relax while seeing something different and we all enjoyed the day. There is no proper beach at LL, but the water colors and views from the upper deck at LL are stunning, and the people there are very friendly. We watched as guys filled their small boats with sand in the Split for a nearby homeowner's beach. They filled the boat until it appeared it would sink, but they disappeared around the far end of CC still afloat! We also saw a dog swim the Split with no problem and climb the short ladder out of the water.

Just a nice, relaxing day with amazing water views where you can also swim, and we would recommend this for singles and couples and even families during the day. There are a few spots to lay on the sand,on the nice pier, or at a table and enjoy the day.

Edited by blue_water

I have been going round and round what to do here on our third trip. One minute I will have decided on water taxi to cc and next independent tour to Goff's Caye and next ship excursion to beach break ( not sure if it still goes to Bannister island) Have done cave tubing and altun Ha/river wallace in the past. Ahhh... the pros and cons of each are making me crazy.

Did you buy your water taxi ticket ahead of time? I want to be able to leave on which ever one is soonest after I get to shore. Not sure I want to be tied down to a particular company?

No worries, just buy water taxi tickets when you arrive at the office. We docked at 8AM (7 Belize time) and took the 10AM taxi (9 Belize time). We were the only ship in port and could probably have made the 9AM taxi if we wanted to rush.

There are a few vendors along the short walk but no one was pushy at all.

We took the 1:30 return ferry which left us 3 hours in port if we wanted that.

We don't usually take land tours unless we are staying in a destination to allow more time and flexibility. So the water taxi to CC was perfect for us. If you want more history to see you'll want the mainland, if you want a nice little spit of beach with great snorkeling look at Goff's. You can also take a shark/ray excursion off CC since it's close to shore there.

Thanks for this review!! We have this exact plan when we are at Belize the beginning of April. I have 2 young kids 5 and 3, did you feel the water taxi was safe? I am bringing their puddle jumpers so they will have life jackets on for the trip over to CC. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you have any idea as to how punctual and reliable the water taxis to Caye Caulker operate?

From the trip reports I've read on tripadvisor and what we saw this one day they appear to be extremely timely and reliable. The crew is also very nice. They have different model boats, we were in an enclosed boat but you may get one that you can ride on top.

Edited by blue_water

Yay!! I was waiting for you to report back. Did you see alot of your fellow shipmates taking the watertaxi with you? Was the watertaxi crowded on your way back from CC? We are less than a month away and we still don't know what to do!!!!!!!! :eek:

Edited by fab4cruisers

Yay!! I was waiting for you to report back. Did you see alot of your fellow shipmates taking the watertaxi with you? Was the watertaxi crowded on your way back from CC? We are less than a month away and we still don't know what to do!!!!!!!! :eek:

We saw no other cruisers taking the water taxi that day. We shared the taxi to CC with 2 couples staying in Belize City, and 4 or 5 locals going to work on CC. We returned on the 1:30PM taxi and there were only a handful of locals with us. These taxis hold at least 30 - 40 ppl. The last taxi back may be fuller but that's too late for you anyway.

There are also flights back and we considered that to get more time but that return time was too close to the last tender time.

Edited by blue_water

Need a little clarification. A few weeks ago I had researched the price of round trip tickets to Caye Caulker. You took the San Pedro Water Taxi for $45 per couple, correct?

I had previously recorded that Belize Water Taxi was $45 per couple, and San Pedro was $40. These prices came from their websites so maybe they are out of date? I'm really Type A when it comes to having exact change and knowing exactly how much I will be taking to shore. Thanks for the clarification! We'll be there in a little over two weeks.

That's the water taxi nearest the tender pier. $22.50 US RT pp.

There is another water taxi company about 2-3 blocks further up Front Street next to the swing bridge called Caye Caulker Water Taxi. Similar schedule. A tad cheaper.

http://www.cayecaulkerwatertaxi.com/

Thanks! I had seen this one, too, but was a little hesitant to rely on it since it leaves BC at 8am. Although we arrive at 8am, ship-time, I'm not sure we'll get the first tender out and be able to get to the terminal that quickly. No matter which we use, I'll report back to the board. Thanks for the response!

Really enjoyed our day last week on CC, the 45 minute water taxi is very easy and inexpensive at $45/couple roundtrip, just walk out of the port area and walk to the left for the San Pedro Express water taxi. We were in port 10 hours and spent 4 hours on CC followed by a couple hours in the port area of Belize. You can also fly between CC and the muni airport not far from the port area but be sure to allow for taxi time.

We enjoyed relaxing at the Lazy Lizard, beer was $2.00 and the burritos and nachos were excellent. The girls had a Lizard Juice ($5 each) and loved them. The LL is a 10 minute leisurely stroll from the water taxi pier, and we took a golf cart taxi back for $10 for the 4 of us. You can also find some very nice rosewood and mahogany carvings at shops along the way at reasonable prices.

We've been to Goff's Caye and enjoyed the beauty there. This visit we wanted to relax while seeing something different and we all enjoyed the day. There is no proper beach at LL, but the water colors and views from the upper deck at LL are stunning, and the people there are very friendly. We watched as guys filled their small boats with sand in the Split for a nearby homeowner's beach. They filled the boat until it appeared it would sink, but they disappeared around the far end of CC still afloat! We also saw a dog swim the Split with no problem and climb the short ladder out of the water.

Just a nice, relaxing day with amazing water views where you can also swim, and we would recommend this for singles and couples and even families during the day. There are a few spots to lay on the sand,on the nice pier, or at a table and enjoy the day.

Blue_ we are currently booked thru island mktg for Goff's Cay, but I am reconsidering and thinking about CC instead. I have 2 major concerns, the kind of boat we take to Goff's Cay…I hear it is enclosed and that could be an issue for my DD depending on the size of it. I looked at going through Carnival because it looks like they use an open CAT for transport, of course that could be a stock photo they use. Have yet to get anyone's response on this. can you offer up any info that may help us decide which place to visit? On CC you say there is no beach at LL, is there access to a 'beach' anywhere? Or is the split the only access? We definitely want a little beach time, lunch and cold beer/cocktails and snorkeling…….Goff's Cay looks amazing but the whole CC experience sounds awesome but I haven't seen a beach there to compare. Any thoughts or suggestions?:confused:

Hi Lily,

I responded to your other post but I thought you had booked Goff's through the ship. I see now that you are going through IM.

There is a sandy area at LL but not a proper beach. People sit on a towel in the sand and get into the water (from the dock) to swim and snorkel but it's nothing like Goff's or Water Caye. And the water taxis are also fully enclosed.

I understand your concerns and wish we could help.

If you have time I would look at reviews on tripadvisor for Caye caulker. There was one a few months ago from a couple who stayed at a cabana and had a beach, not sure how nice it is. But there you could learn about the beach and snorkel situation from folks who are experts on CC.

Sorry not more help!

Hi Lily,

I responded to your other post but I thought you had booked Goff's through the ship. I see now that you are going through IM.

There is a sandy area at LL but not a proper beach. People sit on a towel in the sand and get into the water (from the dock) to swim and snorkel but it's nothing like Goff's or Water Caye. And the water taxis are also fully enclosed.

I understand your concerns and wish we could help.

If you have time I would look at reviews on tripadvisor for Caye caulker. There was one a few months ago from a couple who stayed at a cabana and had a beach, not sure how nice it is. But there you could learn about the beach and snorkel situation from folks who are experts on CC.

Sorry not more help!

thanks....I'll keep researching!