Belize Zoo?

SpoonerCruizer

a couple of weeks ago. Diving was cancelled due to the weather, so we went to the Zoo. If you love zoos like I do, it's a great way to spend the day. It's small, and nothing but native animals in native habitat. If you like big, fancy modern zoos (which I also like), it may not be for you. If you just love zoos, I recommend it. It's a little over an hour drive from Belize City. They have a very nice cafe right there at the zoo. The admission was $5 US I think. We enjoyed it very much. The Mods won't like this suggestion, but I would ask on the board for the cruise line you will be sailing with, (or any other line) but phrase your question as "Has anyone ever taken the Belize Zoo excursion offered by Carnival (your cruise line here)" or your post wil be bounced back here where you will not get a great response. :( It was about $45 US through Carnival, which included trasportation and admission. You probably won't save much doing it on your own. Hope this helps...

Absolutely agree with the poster above. We did the tubing and zoo combo and had a great time at the Zoo. We loved the fact that the animals are well taken care of the you can see that just by observing and listening to the zoo staff. Our kids had a lot of fun too...many of these animals we do not get to see that often...

Went to the zoo in December as part of a very good Celebrity excursion that also included a boat ride on the Old Belize River (lots of birds and animals) and lunch at Bacab. We only had about an hour and a half at the zoo; I would have liked a bit more time. It only houses species that are native to Belize, some of which I had never even heard of before (such as a tayra). I think most of the animals were injured or orphaned in the wild and then brought to the zoo. Very interesting, well-maintained facility. Well worth a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to the Belize Zoo last week. It's a wonderful place with a great story behind it. Please google it and see if it's to your liking. You'll see all the animals and plants indigenous to Central America and the animals are so well-cared for. We booked our tour through Carnival for $65 each. It covered guide, bus transportation, and entrance fee - not lunch. You could also take a bus on the Western Highway to the zoo (45 minutes if there are no stops). However, I wouldn't try this when you have to get back to the port in time.

• 4 months later...
We're leaving next Sunday and have a private excursion booked to both the Zoo and the Howler Monkey Sanctuary. It includes transportation, admission to both and lunch for $85/person.

I thought I understood admission to the zoo to be $15.

Who did you book your private excursion through? (I'm hoping you or someone else who knows is still following this and can give me an idea) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Next NOS cruise will be in Belize in December. Been there before and just stayed local. This time we are thinking of doing something and will be with friends. I have been out to Trip Advisor. The zoo gets rave reviews. You can access the reviews here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d300169-Reviews-or20-Belize_Zoo-Belize_City_Belize_District.html#REVIEWS

I found two places that do tours.

Tuff N Nuff which appears to be in San Pedro. Not sure how far that is from where we will tender on RCI

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291962-d2014096-Reviews-Tuff_E_Nuff_Tours-San_Pedro_Ambergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html

Jose Tours. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291968-d1603011-Reviews-Jose_s_Tours_Private_Tours-Belize_City_Belize_District.html

• 2 weeks later...

we enjoyed goff's caye on lst cruise to belize

& ruins on 2nd cruise w/ wonderful guides

on our emerald princess cruise in nov,

we have booked a ship tour called

"belize zoo, howler monkey sanctuary & lunch"

(we have found princess almost always provides

a great lunch place w/ good food)

it departs at 9 returns 3:15 costs $89 pp

Edited by loma linda ca a & j