time for Giant's Causeway and Carrick a Rede Ropebridge?

Hi!

We're gonna be in Belfast this August and want to tour the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick a Rede ropebridge via public transport. The way I figured out we'd have 50 min for the Giant`s Causeway and 1 hr for the ropebridge...enough? or should we abandon the bridge:eek: for more time at the causeway? That would mean actually a roaring 2 hrs and 55 minutes at the Causeway:o. But we're travelling with a kid who thinks the rope bridge is pretty cool...so we're not sure....any help? We don't want to do a private tour. Who has been to one or both sites and for how long each? Was it enough time or would you have liked to stay longer?

Stef

We did both in one day last year, although we had a private tour. It is a bit of a walk to both attractions from the parking lots.

The rope bridge is probably a 20-minute hike one way, up and down hills and rustic stairs. Much of this, if I recall correctly, is a narrow dirt trail. Once you're at the bridge, you could endure a short wait since they only allow one-way "traffic." Maybe 8 people are allowed to walk one way, then they switch. Once you've crossed the bridge, then what? You'll want to take some time to view the sea, take photos and look around before reversing your route and going back over.

The Causeway also has some walking involved between the parking lot and the rock formations. You can't see it from the visitors center. There's a little shuttle bus that makes a continuous round-trip, but it may not be running exactly to coordinate with your arrival or departure, or it may be full. We walked one way to the causeway, about 15 minutes, briskly. And we took the shuttle back. Again, once you're there, you'll want to spend time climbing around, taking photos and enjoying the views and the rocks. All of the reviews we read beforehand discouraged us from spending the fee and the time to go inside the visitor's center, and I'd have to agree, unless you have some budding geologists along who want to know more.

So my advice is to be sure you are not just journeying, but allowing time once you're there. Oh, and bring a jacket and sensible shoes, as it's cool/windy in both of these places and somewhat rough for climbing around.

We had a great day tour with an excellent guide who took us through the countryside along the coast and to all of the places we wished to go. If you don't drive the country/coastal route, you will have more time for the two attractions. If you wish to see the country, then you should definitely hire a service, because some of those roads are difficult to traverse and you'll need a local expert who's experienced in handling them.

I would definitely repeat these stops if I had the chance to do it in the future.

It it worth trying public transport,

last time I looked there were loads of reasonably priced tour options locally that pick up from the ship.

They can fit in a city tour as well before dropping back at the ship

Hi insidecabin,

thanks! Good to know in case we screw up. Basically we love to take the same transportation as the locals do. So deciding on a tourist tour right off the ship would not so much be to our liking...but still good to know it's there.

Stef

Hey, I am a local! You could easily do both of them in a few hours as they are pretty close. Best option is either to hire a car or... Look at http://www.translink.co.uk - and look in the Ulsterbus section - this is our local bus service. To be honest, it can be expensive enough so it might be worth seeing how much it will cost you to travel by bus v hiring a car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey, I am a local! You could easily do both of them in a few hours as they are pretty close. Best option is either to hire a car or... Look at www.translink.co.uk - and look in the Ulsterbus section - this is our local bus service. To be honest, it can be expensive enough so it might be worth seeing how much it will cost you to travel by bus v hiring a car.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi bubblesqueaker,

Thanks! Whoohoo a local! Any tips or insghts -- go ahead!

Yup, we sort of have a mix of bus/train planned. We'll take the Ulterbus 221 to the Giant's causeway, the 402 Rambler to cut across to the Bridge and later to drive back to Coleraine, where finally we'll take the train back to Belfast...Sounds like an adventure! A family day pass which is good for the three of us will cost us 20 pounds...Not too bad!

Stef

Hi Stef!

Another 'local' here. Now wanting to put a damper on your enthusiasm to travel on public transport, see the countryside and meet friendly residents, I feel you are over ambitious with your plans to do so much in your allotted time in Northern Ireland. I've had a quick look at Translink (NI Railways) schedule and you would need to get the 1419 hrs train back to Belfast from Coleraine - the train an hour later will get you back too late for your 5 pm Magnifica departure.

Belfast City provides a free shuttle from the cruise ship terminal to the city centre, but you would need to allow 15 mins from the drop off point to get to the bus station for bus 221 to the Giant's Causeway. Likewise on your return from the train station - although you could get off at the Yorkgate stop which is closer to the cruise terminal, it is not a safe walk due to the road layout in the area. (industrial and motorway junctions)

I hope it goes well, whatever you decide to do. An organised tour will ensure you arrive back at the cruise terminal in time for your ship's departure! :)

Hi Stef!

Another 'local' here. Now wanting to put a damper on your enthusiasm to travel on public transport, see the countryside and meet friendly residents, I feel you are over ambitious with your plans to do so much in your allotted time in Northern Ireland. I've had a quick look at Translink (NI Railways) schedule and you would need to get the 1419 hrs train back to Belfast from Coleraine - the train an hour later will get you back too late for your 5 pm Magnifica departure.

Belfast City provides a free shuttle from the cruise ship terminal to the city centre, but you would need to allow 15 mins from the drop off point to get to the bus station for bus 221 to the Giant's Causeway. Likewise on your return from the train station - although you could get off at the Yorkgate stop which is closer to the cruise terminal, it is not a safe walk due to the road layout in the area. (industrial and motorway junctions)

I hope it goes well, whatever you decide to do. An organised tour will ensure you arrive back at the cruise terminal in time for your ship's departure! :)

Hi ex-Freeporter,

thanks for warning me. I know it's an insanely large itinerary for our day in NI --- but sometimes we're a bit crazy like that. We really don't want a tour...and half the fun of such a horrendous amount of stress that day is to see whether or not we make it back in time:D. We always have the possibility of renting an excruciatingly expensive cab to get back to Belfast in case we screw up at one point or another...luckily we never had to resort to such fierce action yet. But where would be the thrill of the gamble, if everything was 100% sure to work out in the beginning:cool:? The cruise itself is organized enough. Let the port days be a DIY adventure!

Good to know about the shuttle. Thanks. Where exactly does it drop passengers off? How often does it run? The 221 doesn't leave until 9:30, so no worries there. We're planning on the 14:19 train back which will arrive in Belfast 15:39...only hassle will be if we miss that:rolleyes:...but then again...we love the thrill. Bring it on:)!

Stef

Hi Steffi,

Having now looked briefly at your previous reviews, I see you are a very savvy traveller! I look forward to seeing your eventual Magnifica review.

According to the Cruise Belfast website, the shuttle bus will drop you off close to the Welcome Centre (possibly just round the corner in Donegall Place) - all very close to the City Hall. If you look at Google maps you will be able to see the exact distance to Gt Victoria Street Bus Station - just under half a mile. The shuttles run every 20 mins.

http://visit-belfast.com/cruise/about-cruise-belfast/services-offered

map on this site -

http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/Visit-Belfast-Welcome-Centre-Tourist-Information-Belfast-P8235

Hi Steffi,

Having now looked briefly at your previous reviews, I see you are a very savvy traveller! I look forward to seeing your eventual Magnifica review.

lol -- I think I just grew two to three inches --- thanks:p.

Thanks for all the infos:). I'm so excited about this cruise and promise that the review will be very thorough. Then you can look up wether or not we managed to go through with all our plans;).

Stef