Restaurants in Progresso or Merida

lsu_tigers

Can someone recommend an authentic Mexican restaurant in Progresso or Merida?

Additionally, which area would you rather spend time (Progresso or Merida) if we want to do a little shopping in authentic shops, not tourist junk.

Hi. I returned a short time ago from Merida. At Progreso try Le Saint Bonnet. Very good. And in Merida, my favorite was "Portico El Peregrino". It's on Calle 57, between 60 and 62. For shopping, I found Merida a much better choice. Have a great time.

Vicky

• 2 months later...

I agree totally with Lynngould. Le Saint Bonnet is great. We both have spent time in that area recently. Merida is a fantastic true Mexican city and is Mexico at it's best. Not your typical over-touristed ports with 7 or 8 cruiseships in port at the same time. I have pics that I would be glad to share. hdawson228@aol.com

I was in Progresso this past Thursday, and from what I saw in the open air market, I would not eat one bite from any restaurant there. It was disgusting: rotting fruit and vegetables, sides of meat hanging out in the open covered with flies,etc. The place looked like a good place to get e-coli, samonella or something.

Of course good judgement should always be used wherever you are. After spending a total of 10 days in Merida and Progreso, I;ve never had any kind of problem with food or drinks. I will be returning to Merida and a couple of smaller towns in Jan for a couple of weeks. I've not heard of anyone getting sick from the food in this area. In fact it was first suggested by my waiter on a Celebrity cruise. The fish is the freshest you will find anywhere. Mine was a whole fish, deep fried and the best fish dinner I've ever had. As in other tourist areas, they use ice from an ice plant using purified water. For water I would use bottled water that is readily available. Also plenty of brands of very good beers.

Archived