Fire Doors on the Island Princess

UPGrandma

I can see where the fire doors are on other Princess ships, but not on any plans I can find for the Island (Coral). Another forum so one mentioned they are where the first number of the cabin number changes. For example between D631 and D701. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

We are probably a small crowd who even notices the fire doors. I work with them professionally but not on ships. I did pay attention on the two cruises I have been on -- Nieuw Amsterdam and Grand Princess.

However, I read the plans given in tourist advertising with doors as just doors. I know some will be fire rated but it is not the type of plan which would give the specification for them. I have seen doors sitting in recessed wall pockets held with magnetic hold opens and know most folks walk by then and never really 'see' the. If I was selling cruises with a floor plan, I would never show those as passengers would never have to open them.

Later,

M

The fire doors are indeed at the break between numbered sections...Cabin 133 might be the last of the first section, and 201 would be the first of the second. The door (which is always open except for emergencies) is between the first & last.

Steve

Thank you skf and Edmpair for confirming where they are. Just like knowing before, then double check for the rare emergency situation. Hubby and I are like you Edmpair in that we notice a lot that others walk or drive by multiple times and never see.

I also like the mechanics of things. I always wanna know how something works. And growing up on the Canadian plains is great, but it means everything about a ship and the sea are new. I look for the details to see how the lifeboats and liferafts work and anything else I had not seen before. Have you noticed the baffles slid onto the shorelines to keep rats from walking up those big ropes? I have and asked.

The fire doors are indeed at the break between numbered sections...Cabin 133 might be the last of the first section, and 201 would be the first of the second. The door (which is always open except for emergencies) is between the first & last.
This is correct. :) Something else to know that applies to all Princess ships has to do with balconies: the doors between balconies at the fire break cannot be opened. In other words, you can normally open the door between balconies if you have friends or family next door, except between cabins/balconies on either side of the fire door.

You may not notice the fire door as you walk the hallways so here's what it looks like:

u5y4ehep.jpg

This is correct. :) Something else to know that applies to all Princess ships has to do with balconies: the doors between balconies at the fire break cannot be opened. In other words, you can normally open the door between balconies if you have friends or family next door, except between cabins/balconies on either side of the fire door.

You may not notice the fire door as you walk the hallways so here's what it looks like:

u5y4ehep.jpg

This is something that has me worried for our upcoming cruise on the Coral. We are in cabin B234 and our friends are in B232...these are the last two regular balcony cabins before you get to the mini-suites. The hallway takes a jog right after B232 so I am REALLY hoping that the divider between our balconies can be opened. I don't see any fire doors on the deck plans.

What do you think...are we going to be OK? Do you think the firebreaks on the Coral are still between the different numbered sections?

127_baja.gif

Yes, the door can be opened between the balconies B232 and B234. Just ask your cabin steward. One thing I do to signal privacy when doing this is if my sheer curtains are open, come on over to the balcony. If they're closed, privacy please. :)