Adding a passenger to your room?

Califor6

Question.....

if I make my cruise reservation and book several rooms with 2 passengers in each, but in a month or so before the trip, have another passenger that I want to add to the room, can I do so? add them to the room that I have already reserved for 2 (of course, as long as it's a room that accomodates 3 people)

You may have difficulty booking a room for 2 people that accommodates 3. If you are sailing during peak times such as spring break, summer or holidays you will likely not be allowed to book a 3 person with only 2. The ship is capacity controlled.

For high season Carnival will usually not let you boook a cabin for 3 unless you have 3 in it.

If you have a double occ cabin the third can sleep on a rollaway. (On ships built before 2000, the Imagination and Inspiration are two of these.)

Also if the ship has reached lifeboat capacity a third cannot be added even if a berth is available.

As others said, you might not get to book 2 people into a 3-person room if this is a higher-demand sailing time. Even if they let you book it, you could get bumped into a 2-person room at any point. But if you can book it and keep it, it probably won't be a problem to add a 3rd later. The whole lifeboat-capacity issue would be an extremely rare thing. Carnival is well prepared for this, and they plan what rooms will sleep extra people, in order to not go over lifeboat capacity. In other words, every bed that is designated as a bed on the ship should be able to be filled without going over any lifeboat capacity. For example, they would not designate 400 berths over 150 rooms (double occupancy plus 100) if the lifeboat capacity for that area was only 390. They would only designate 390 beds. The only reason there should be a lifeboat issue is if there were something unexpected to happen, that caused them to have more crew on board than they were expecting. I've been on a high-demand sailing, where every single bed designated as a bed was filled. So if there's an open bed, they should be allowed to fill it, but it's not a guarantee.

Edited by k2excursion