Verizon plan on San Juan

hartskys

Yes Verizon cell phones can be used with no extra charges in Puerto Rico that includes text, internet, and calls. DH worked on the Eastern side of the island for a few months and we have been to San Juan on cruises and have not been charged for any usage. There are only a few small spots in the middle of the island that are not covered. To be sure I would go to a Verizon store and ask. I called Verizon before he left for Puerto Rico and they told me we would be charged; the store told me no extra charges. Our phone bills had no extra charges.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by soccermom13

I've always turned off data roaming when I cruise. Do you still have to do that or can you receive emails and not have roaming charges?

If you've got Verizon, you can use data in San Juan at no additional charge. Calls, data, texts, e-mail, the works. :D Drives my husband nuts, he'd just as soon I have no connectivity.

Edited by Miss Vickie

I have Verizon and was able to use everything when I was there in January but I did have to call them because the way my phone was set I wasn't able to get data. I had to switch something on or off, sorry I can't remember which. Everything is free but San Juan isn't on the regular US service. If you do have issues, call them and they'll help you to make it work.

I would double check the info here. We were there in January 2013 and PR is no longer part of the nationwide free coverage. Unless it has changed back. We used it there for years, but then were told it changed. I would go to Verizon and check your plan out for sure. We did get on a cruise ship plan. Calling is 2.40 per minute and texts are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive but only on the ship and not in port. And you have to be signed up for that plan, although it is free.

I hope they changed it back so PR is free again, so I do hope my advice is outdated.

I would double check the info here. We were there in January 2013 and PR is no longer part of the nationwide free coverage. Unless it has changed back. We used it there for years, but then were told it changed. I would go to Verizon and check your plan out for sure. We did get on a cruise ship plan. Calling is 2.40 per minute and texts are 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive but only on the ship and not in port. And you have to be signed up for that plan, although it is free.

I hope they changed it back so PR is free again, so I do hope my advice is outdated.

I had no issues, no extra charges using my iPhone for calls, texts, e-mail and data in January 2014. San Juan is still part of my nationwide plan, no changes. I actually stood on jewel's helipad and talked to my son as we sailed out of San Juan; the ship tower turns off and on automatically when you're far enough out that the land-based service is no longer available. As long as your phone says extended, not roaming, you're good

Edited by Miss Vickie

I had no issues, no extra charges using my iPhone for calls, texts, e-mail and data in January 2014. San Juan is still part of my nationwide plan, no changes. I actually stood on jewel's helipad and talked to my son as we sailed out of San Juan; the ship tower turns off and on automatically when you're far enough out that the land-based service is no longer available. As long as your phone says extended, not roaming, you're good

I was just there in January 2014 also. No problems using the phone at all once I called Verizon and got the right settings on my phone.

• 2 months later...