Park & Fly near Newark airport

willow0325

I'm butting in here but since the cruise is out of NYC, why not fly SJU to JFK and just forget about EWR?

Jet Blue, AA/US, Delta all have flights at great times when you get off the cruise. A couple of flights get in about 6-7PM which means you could easily get home that evening, even though it is late. Flights are cheaper into JFK by at least $20 pp. Parking is the same or cheaper than Newark-quite a few lots with shuttles for $10.99 per day or close (plus tax of courses). And the transfer from JFK to Manhattan will cost you about 1/2 of what the transfer from EWR to Manhattan will cost you. The really big plus IMHO is NOT having to get on that stupid airtrain to get to P4 to catch the parking shuttle or other transportation. That to me is a HUGE hassle at Newark. Get your luggage, then take the escalator to the top of the terminal, ride the train and then reverse the procedure just to get to the parking shuttle.

If you leave the night before, there are a bunch of hotels in Nyack, Nanuet, West Nyack, White Plains/Tarrytown and Yonkers area, all in the $100 or below price range. Those areas are right off the NY Thruway or 287, either just before or just after the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Directions from Rochester-90 to 87 (NY ThruWay) to 287 (across the Tappan Zee) to the Cross County Parkway to the Hutchinson Parkway which turns into 678-the Van Wyck-which at the end is JFK.

You will NOT be wandering around the spaghetti mass of roads around EWR trying to find an offsite parking lot. You don't have to take the stupid train to get to/from your car. Parking is about the same price. Hotels for the night before will be about the same price. Transport from JFK to the cruise port will be cheaper. Flights are cheaper. Would be the ONLY way I would do it. JMHO

Can you suggest a couple of good hotels? Are there any in safe areas that offer the park/cruise (or park/fly) option? Prior posts don't recommend hotels in the JFK area (though I'm not sure why on that). Flights are definitely cheaper to JFK. We're staying in San Juan for a couple of nights post-cruise. What about parking at JFK? Do you have any info on that? (cost, lot options, etc). In your opinion, would you take the Carnival transfers from JFK ($30/person) or have a car service take us to the cruiseport?

Thanks again, all, for the great info. We chose to fly out of the NY port thinking it would be pretty easy for us since we live close enough -- but I think I've spent more time on these details than on any other cruise we've taken. Go figure!

OP - You are in good hands with greatam (Gina) for information about JFK and LGA.

Gina - to summarize they are 4 people and need two hotel rooms. They are staying several nights post cruise in San Juan, so an early flight back would be an option for them. They are not experienced in driving in the NYC area.

The hotels at JFK are often used by social services for emergency housing.

I'm finding hotel rates in the JFK area at least double the rate in the Newark area, but not seeing much with a "park" option. If Newark is a safer area, then I don't mind paying more for the airfare since the car will be in their lot for about 10 days. I got very reasonable rates on the car service websites for an estimate as well. But certainly am welcome to suggestions in the JFK area but only if it's a safe area.

I'm not really concerned about return flight time, there are a fair number of options. We would take the hotel shuttle back to Newark to get the car. But if the same is an option for JFK, that's good to know. Safety is of primary importance.

Thanks again for all the help!

It's the NY metro area. There are never any guarantees about safety, but some options are better than others.

Given what you've said, I'd vote for Country Inns which has an excellent record with all the Cape Liberty cruisers who have parked there. They have gated fenced parking. It's easy to find getting off at Exit 13A. Newark is closer than JFK and will probably save you a minimum of a half hour driving in NYC each way.

If you don't want to cart luggage on the Airtrain to get the hotel shuttle, then when you land, dispatch one person to collect the car while the other three retrieve the luggage. You can drive from Country Inns to the terminals on local streets - no need to get on the Turnpike or routes 1& 9. I did this with no problem from Country Inns at 5 am one morning to pick up my daughter coming in on a red eye.

What do you mean by "Newark is closer than JFK and will probably save you a minimum of a half hour driving in NYC each way"?

(do you mean it is physically closer from a driving perspective?)

Okay one last question -- Does the Ramada also have gated/fenced parking?

You really can't beat their price with Trinity. We're actually getting together with the other couple today so I like that now I have to solid options for us.

And again, thanks for the tip on the car services.

Edited by willow0325

What do you mean by "Newark is closer than JFK and will probably save you a minimum of a half hour driving in NYC each way"?

(do you mean it is physically closer from a driving perspective?)

Okay one last question -- Does the Ramada also have gated/fenced parking?

You really can't beat their price with Trinity. We're actually getting together with the other couple today so I like that now I have to solid options for us.

And again, thanks for the tip on the car services.

Take a close look at Mapquest between Rochester and JFK and Newark Airports. The time estimate I'm seeing shows a difference of 36 minutes, but could actually be more given the vagaries of NYC traffic getting to JFK, particularly after 3 pm. Newark is physically closer to where you live and for you does not involve any crossing into or driving in NYC - you would leave that piece to your cruise transfer arrangement.

The Ramada has gated parking but no fence as I recall. It is in a isolated area on the north side of the airport with the Doubletree on one side and a prison on the other side. It is not a desirable target for random people. Flight crews and travelers come and go all night, so there is plenty of activity off hours. In addition to the restaurant and cafe, there is a watering hole at this hotel - http://www.yelp.com/biz/teddys-bar-and-grill-newark

Edited by 138east

Given the known traffic conditions when we go to the cruiseport on the morning of our cruise, do you recommend leaving the hotel early (say 8:30 ish) or waiting just a little bit to avoid even a slight amount of the traffic grid lock. (i.e., 9:30). Or would you say -- makes no difference?

If it was you, what time would you order the car service for? (Interestingly, Black Executive is significantly more expensive than the other two. Do you have a preference on any of the 3 suggested? Black Executive vs Dial 7 vs Carmellimo.)

Thanks again. We're heading out soon so I'll finally stop asking questions for a while! :D

This is really a question for the folks who sail from Manhattan. What would be the target time to arrive at the pier for a Carnival sailing?

I think 8:30 is too early to leave a Newark Airport Hotel that is right by Exit 14. Even 9:30 might be a tad early.

I am totally confused.

OP, are you leaving the night before or not? I agree with Carol-you will have to leave Rochester so early to park the car in Newark, get transport to the ship and deal with all that, it will be a miserable trip.

So then it was leave a day early, stay in Morris/Parsippany area, drive to a parking lot around EWR and get cruise transport to the pier.

Or I suggested stay in a hotel/motel 60-80 miles from JFK, park at one of the many, many JFK lots and take transport from JFK to the pier at about 1/2 the price of the Carnival transfers from EWR. NO WHERE did I mention anything about getting a motel/hotel around JFK. They are the WORST, particularly on the weekends.

There are many, many hotels/motels around White Plains of every variety. Nyack area is slightly cheaper but 20 miles further to JFK.

If you are doing this on a weekend, it will be an EASY drive from the White Plains/Nyack area to JFK. There will be very little traffic before 10AM. And it is ALL interstate/parkway until you get directly to JFK. Parking areas are WELL MARKED. This one is DIRECTLY across the road from JFK's IN AIRPORT parking. http://www.jfkairportparking.com/book1099.php

I just absolutely detest the Newark airport and the area. I spend a lot of time in Newark/Elizabeth/Kearney for business. And I will do just about anything (including taking a redeye coach flight on US AIR out of Phoenix) to avoid having to fly into Newark.

Your choice. But you truly DO NOT have the time unless you leave Rochester about 4AM to park, get transport to the cruise and make it on time.

Transport from JFK to Manhattan is a FIXED rate in a cab. You will not all fit in a regular cab or car service from either EWR or JFK. So MAKE SURE you make arrangements for a large enough vehicle-at least a mini van. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you cover all your bases. AND DON'T use your GPS. Take directions with you to wherever you are going and FOLLOW them. Good luck

Greatam, our trip isn't until the Fall so I'm trying to explore some options. I asked about driving in on the day of the cruise just to see if anyone felt that was feasible and I got the answer to that. But I have to explore all my options. Since I don't know the area, I have to ask questions. You mentioned hotels in Nyack, Nanuet, West Nyack, White Plains/Tarrytown and Yonkers -- I unfortunately have no idea how close those are to JFK. I assumed (my error) that they were close to JFK and that's why you were suggesting them. You didn't mention that they were 80 miles away, but now that you say it, I understand.

I've already gotten quotes on the car service from a Newark hotel to the Manhattan cruiseport. No problem fitting us and our luggage in one vehicle -- they specifically asked how many of each to be sure we had the right size vehicle and naturally the price was reflective of a large enough vehicle.

Thanks for the tip on not using our GPS. (amazing that they can be so wrong sometimes!) We travel frequently and always take maps, internet mapping directions, etc. and sometimes they are just so much better than getting confused by the GPS.

Newark is going to be easier for us now that hubby and our travel companions have had a chance to look at everything and maps but I greatly appreciate your info. We have no desire to attempt driving in Manhattan so we're happy with the car service suggestion of others. Phew! We've still got plenty of time before our trip though my type A personality likes to get things secured sooner rather than later.

Thanks again.

Double Phew! Sounds like you now have a plan.

If you're staying at the Ramada, be extra sure of having the written directions and following them exactly when you get off the turnpike at Exit 14. The hotel is close to the exit and you should not get involved with the insane roads immediately by the airport. On the way back if you take your luggage on the Airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle, you will also avoid the immediate airport roads.

Double Phew! Sounds like you now have a plan.

If you're staying at the Ramada, be extra sure of having the written directions and following them exactly when you get off the turnpike at Exit 14. The hotel is close to the exit and you should not get involved with the insane roads immediately by the airport. On the way back if you take your luggage on the Airtrain to P4 to get the hotel shuttle, you will also avoid the immediate airport roads.

We decided on Country Inn & Suites, thanks to your great info, suggestions, etc. It can be so stressful trying to figure everything out when you aren't familiar with an area and the help of everyone on these forums helps put the fun back in the planning.

I sincerely thank you, 138east. I know that you put a lot of time, effort and thought into helping travelers. You and your tips/hints/suggestions are so immensely appreciated.

Now to the fun part -- counting down the days to vacation! (oh, and I suppose I should start my pre-vacation diet one of these days too!) :D

You will be happy at Country Inns. The Courtyard across the street has a restaurant and bar/lounge if you want to hang out. Ruby Tuesdays and IHOP are next door. The Jersey Gardens Mall has a food court, movies, and of course stores. It's the best that the area has to offer.