Needing an affordable 4* in the centre - walkling to theatres etc.

Of course affordable means different things to everyone. Since it's our 37th anniversary, DH said we needed a splurge. Well a 4* is definitely a splurge!

Our cap would be 500 GPB for 3 nights IF that included all VAT AND a nice breakfast. Of course we'd love to find a break! We'll be there 7 Oct leaving 10 Oct.

We stayed at the Hyde Park Darlington last year before our cruise out of Dover. (I talked about it here, but it was about a year ago) We paid 76 GPB and now it's rack rated at 150 GPB! (per night). It was a nice and clean little B&B and we enjoyed it - but a little out of the way.

I'd apreciate any help,

Carol

We'd recommend Grange hotels in central london.

They are all 4 or 5 star good quality hotels.

The Grange Holborn should be a good choice for theatreland etc. We have booked online before at grangehotels.com. Last time I think we paid around 90 GBP per night for both of us which only included a continental breakfast but the rack rate is around 280 GBP per night.

worth checking out anyhow........ Good luck

Of course affordable means different things to everyone. Since it's our 37th anniversary, DH said we needed a splurge. Well a 4* is definitely a splurge!

Our cap would be 500 GPB for 3 nights IF that included all VAT AND a nice breakfast. Of course we'd love to find a break! We'll be there 7 Oct leaving 10 Oct.

We stayed at the Hyde Park Darlington last year before our cruise out of Dover. (I talked about it here, but it was about a year ago) We paid 76 GPB and now it's rack rated at 150 GPB! (per night). It was a nice and clean little B&B and we enjoyed it - but a little out of the way.

I'd apreciate any help,

Carol

Hi Brahmama, the Sofitel St James is a very good quality Hotel in London.It is two minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus and most of the Theatres.There are also many Restuarants in the area and you can walk to Buckingham Palace(Five minutes) and St James Park(Three Minutes).You can do most things from this location and not even need a Taxi,Bus or the Tube

Regards

John

This hotel is in a great location. across from Ritz. Rates vary. Many places to eat breakfast in area. Close to two grocery stores. Charming botique hotel not 'Holiday Inny" at all. Weekends cheaper than midweek. We have stayed there many times. a real sleeper.

Oops, I've been away. It's HOT here (I guess it's hot almost everywhere) and so we took our travel trailer and went to a lake close to where our twin grandsons live. So I'm back and now I'm not hot, but I'm exhausted.

Back to hotels. What a drudge it is! I have the middle of my trip planned, but the beginning (in London) and the ending (in Rome) are just hanging out there laughing at me.

Also, I've been downrated - my husband told me that the splurge was for 500 USD for 3 nights - not British pounds. I guess I'll have to wait until our 40th for him to really cut loose with the money.

I have not checked out the Grange website, but I will today. Thanks for the suggestion, starboardstar.

The Sofitel St. James - ah - what a lovely hotel. But unless they are running a mid-week special in October (doubtful, yes?) it will be too expensive.

Harrodsfan, I will check out your suggestion also.

Any other thoughts on this?

Carol

• 3 weeks later...

You could try the following (both have availability on your dates):

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/

King's Cross is 65 pounds ($120) per night, so $140 to go get breakfast.

http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/home.do

The City Hall is 260 pounds ($470) for 3 nights. It is very central, being only a few minutes from the London Eye, and the Houses of Parlimament.

London is fast catching up with New York for high hotel prices. The Travel Lodge and Travel Inn chains are a couple of those who are trying to keep rates down. Accomodation is basic en-suite, but comfortable and clean.

susan and mc_cruiser,

Thanks for your posts. I was getting anxious about the situation so I have booked a small B&B right in the middle of the Leicester Sq area. It's a great location - will be able to walk almost everywhere and not spend extra time waiting for transportation. It's 92 pounds including VAT and a continental breakfast. Probably will be noisy, so will take earplugs!

:D

susan and mc_cruiser,

Thanks for your posts. I was getting anxious about the situation so I have booked a small B&B right in the middle of the Leicester Sq area. It's a great location - will be able to walk almost everywhere and not spend extra time waiting for transportation. It's 92 pounds including VAT and a continental breakfast. Probably will be noisy, so will take earplugs!

:D

Brahmama,

I think they pay you £92 to stay there

It certainly is busy and noisy

Brahmama,

I think they pay you £92 to stay there

It certainly is busy and noisy

Well, yes, there is that. And it's not in the MIDDLE of the square. :rolleyes:

But what a location!

I will also keep an eye on Priceline for Mayfair (a 4 star min) but it's more or less ground to a halt in that area.

You might want to check out the Sanctuary House Hotel. It is in a quiet area near Westminster Abbey and St. James Park. I have had a lot of clients stay there and they have all been happy. They run about £100 per night, just a little over your $500.00 budget, but not too much. And there is always Laterooms which posts discounted prices for central hotels. Have a great time and work on your DH for a 5* next visit!!!

Archived