Questions about the Veendam and Alaska

Shari2

Hi everyone!

I have some friends who are cruising on the Veendam to Alaska next month, and they have given me a list of questions to ask for them. I can pretty much answer all of them except the bus one, but not having been on Holland America or to Alaska, yet, I thought I would get some thoughts and ideas from you.

Question No. 1: Does the Veendam have hair dryers, and are they the kind that are attached in the bathroom or are they in the drawers, and do they work well?

Question No.2: Are the formal nights in Alaska as formal as other cruises or are they a little more casual? What do you see worn most often? Long dresses, cocktail dresses, slacks and sparkly tops, etc.?

Question No.3: I have heard that layering is the best way to dress for Alaska, and I have given my friends some packing lists, but does anyone have any personal suggestions?

Question No. 4: If they have an assigned room, what are the chances for an upgrade? Does Holland America do upgrades if the ship is not full?

Question No. 5: Is the $10 per person taken off your account for tipping all you need for tipping outside of your alcoholic beverages, and the maitre d' if you wish to tip him/her? Does this cover your room steward, waiter and assistant waiter?

Question No. 6: THIS IS THE QUESTION THAT THEY ARE MOST CONCERNED WITH!

They are sailing from Vancouver to Seward, and they will be taking a bus(ship's transfer) from Seward to the airport after the cruise. They say that the bus is around 3 to 3 1/2 hours and will stop at Eagan Convention Center before the airport. Does anyone know if they can get off at the Eagan Convention Center and take their luggage with them? They have relatives that they would meet with at the convention center as their flight isn't until 9:50 PM. If they have to stay on and go straight to the airport, does anyone know if they can check in their luggage early? They are flying with Northwest.

Thank you for any and all answers!

Has anyone taken the ship's transfer(Veendam or any other) by bus from Seward to Anchorage(around a 3 to 3 1/2 hour trip) to the airport? Any information will help! Thanks!

AS I remember (and it is hazy) they go to Eagan to pick up their luggage, so leaving the bus there shouldn't be a problem.

As to the other Q's:

1) Yes. Bathroom

2) More formal than Caribbean, less than Europe. The dress code is still the same, though.

3) Layering, layering and more layering...

4) Upgrades come if they need your cabin, not because there's one empty.

5) Most tip their stewards a bit more provided the service is good.

Those are all excellent questions for your TA to answer in greater detail. I hope your parents have an excellent cruise on the Veendam.

Two of my relatives cruised on the Veendam to Alaska this past May/June. They did 14 days; 7 north and 7 south. Both of them thuroughly enjoyed the experience.

Those are all excellent questions for your TA to answer in greater detail. I hope your parents have an excellent cruise on the Veendam.

Actually, the knowledge level here is quite a bit higher than the average TA's...

Q3: Suggestion if not too late. Columbia Sportwear (and other brands) has a line of mix/match jackets that are perfect for Alaska cruises. They have an outer nylon shell that is fairly waterproof and a zip-in fleece lining. The lining zipper also works as a regular zipper when worn seperately.

Wear:

Shell - for wet drizzle but warm days (has vents to breath well too)

Fleece - alone for dry cool

Both - for wet cool to cold (I wear down to zero F in MN winter)

One of the best investments we made and theya re in great condition three years later.

Q2: Our sense was just a touch less formal. Fewer tuxes than expected for guys generally dark business suits. For the ladies long skirts and sparkly tops were common as well as longer gowns. Being cooler in Alaska the fashions were more like winter - like worn to a formal Christmas party - more long sleeves or wraps.

Two of my relatives cruised on the Veendam to Alaska this past May/June. They did 14 days; 7 north and 7 south. Both of them thuroughly enjoyed the experience.

Here you go again. All of the questions were more than adequately answered by the members on this thread. This is the second exact same post by you to "ask your TA these questions". Why are you on this rampage to promote the "travel agent is the answer to everything" campaign? Again, take your TA propaganda somewhere else. Cruisecritics have this one well in-hand.

Peter

Ha. Can you believe I am actually agreeing with you on this one? Now I must be the one with a fever!!! :D

However, you both are both very similar in that his zeal in posting FOR TAs is in direct proportion to you bashing them. Usually, when one is on a rampage, however, it is not promoting, but bashing. So actually you are usually the one on a rampage, he is just on a .........well...maybe an overzealous promotional campaign that may be doing more harm than goodfor TAs.

Here you go again. All of the questions were more than adequately answered by the members on this thread. This is the second exact same post by you to "ask your TA these questions". Why are you on this rampage to promote the "travel agent is the answer to everything" campaign? Again, take your TA propaganda somewhere else. Cruisecritics have this one well in-hand.

Peter

Thank you so much for your help everyone!!!

Sequim...May I ask what store you find these Columbia jackets at? They sound great! We are in Minnesota, also. In the Minneapolis area.

Archived