Going on the NOS - first time on RCCL and have a few questions

I'm going to apologize ahead of time if these questions have been asked. I've been searching through and reading a lot of useful information. We have been on DCL several times and I feel like I know how to navigate that system but am a little intimidated by RCCL.

We have booked a Grand Suite on the October 26 cruise.

We are on the waitlist for main dining. What are the chances of us getting it?

We would like to do some of the specialty dining. What options are available on the Navigator? I am seeing Giovani's and Chop's but on the WIKI grid there is also a listing for "asian" and a Mexican food restaurant. When will I have that option to add those on? Do I have to be paid in full before I can book?

We enjoy a few beers sometimes during the day and some wine with dinner. On DCL I usually do a wine package. We are not soft drink drinkers. Can someone suggest a beverage package? I am assuming I can get water in the Concierge lounge. Should I do one of the wine and dine packages or one where you order wine by the glass. Is there a combination that you can do? Would it be cheaper to just do the wine and dine package and pay for the few beers? Does being Concierge make any difference in the decision?

When can I book excursions? Does it depend on the amount of cruises you have been on or concierge status?

Thank in advance!

I wouldn't worry about the wait-list for my time dining if you're in a grand suite -- the concierge will get you a table at whatever time you like. Just stop by the CL and let him/her know what time you'd like to dine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Navigator has chops, Giovanni's, sabor (Mexican), and Izumi (Asian). You can prebook before you leave which requires payment in advance, or you can wait until you get onboard.

Excursions can be booked online whenever you want....or you can book onboard (popular ones may sell out).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seaofwonder

I'm going to apologize ahead of time if these questions have been asked. I've been searching through and reading a lot of useful information. We have been on DCL several times and I feel like I know how to navigate that system but am a little intimidated by RCCL.

We have booked a Grand Suite on the October 26 cruise.

We are on the waitlist for main dining. What are the chances of us getting it?

We would like to do some of the specialty dining. What options are available on the Navigator? I am seeing Giovani's and Chop's but on the WIKI grid there is also a listing for "asian" and a Mexican food restaurant. When will I have that option to add those on? Do I have to be paid in full before I can book?

We enjoy a few beers sometimes during the day and some wine with dinner. On DCL I usually do a wine package. We are not soft drink drinkers. Can someone suggest a beverage package? I am assuming I can get water in the Concierge lounge. Should I do one of the wine and dine packages or one where you order wine by the glass. Is there a combination that you can do? Would it be cheaper to just do the wine and dine package and pay for the few beers? Does being Concierge make any difference in the decision?

When can I book excursions? Does it depend on the amount of cruises you have been on or concierge status?

Thank in advance!

As others mentioned, even if you wind up not getting an assigned seating and are given MyTime Dining, you can make a reservation before boarding the cruise (usually after final payment, though) for any time during the dinner hours each night of the cruise. Since you have a suite, your concierge can handle this for you, and make sure you have the same waitstaff to have something more like traditional cruise ship dining.

You can reserve your supplemental dining meals ahead of time (after final payment) or on board. Once again, having a suite makes it less of a worry since the concierge will make it as smooth as possible for you. Navigator was recently updated to also include Mexican and Asian supplemental choices, and they will show up with Chops and Giovannis when you get close enough to sailing to book your dining.

I would say you should check the wines available in the wine & dine package and if you like enough of them, it can a very good deal (especially for some of the pricier bottles) if you are primarily a wine drinker. The wine & beer unlimited package only covers certain beers and wines up to $8/glass, which is essentially only the house wines, and the premium liquor package, while inclusive of wines up to $12, would require you to have quite a few drinks each day (especially with just beer and wine) to come out ahead financially. Considering you will also have access to the happy hour in the Concierge Lounge and may be bringing up to 2 bottles of your own wine aboard, chances are to non-hard liquor and non-soda drinkers, the unlimited packages would only be worth it for peace of mind, not to "come out ahead". If you do the wine & dine, it would not be financially viable to also get unlimited packages, so it would make sense to just buy the beers a la carte or as a bucket.

Thank you all very much! This is very useful information.

Do most prefer to do a set time or to do the MyTime dining? On DCL we always do the main dining at 5:30 so give the choice between that or 8:30, we definitely need the earlier one (we have 4 year old twins). Having dinner between 6 and 7 would be more in line with what we do at home. How does that impact getting to the shows after dinner?