Awkward Moment I Hope I Never Have

PhxRain

I have contributed quite frequently to these boards and have never had an issue with comments made on Cruise Critic that would keep me away from a Meet and Greet. On the other hand we did have a situation a few years ago at a Meet and Greet that was organized on Cruise Critic. "The One Who Must Obeyed" and I cruise once or twice a year and always attend the Meet and Greets as it is a good diversion on a sea day and it is nice to match names with faces.

We were among the first to arrive at the Meet and Greet and chatted with a few folks who were already present including the person who had organized it. In the normal chit chat, she noticed that we were from New Hampshire and commented on how it must be interesting to see all of the presidential candidates. We agreed and were ready to leave it at that and did not wish to have a political discussion. Then, this fellow passenger who had organized the get together said out of the blue (and I am paraphrasing here), the Secret Service is doing too good of a job of protecting the president because no one has shot him yet!

We just stood there with our mouths open and could not believe that anyone would make such an inappropriate remark. We chose not to respond, but just walked away and started chatting with some other couples. We saw this individual a couple more times on the cruise and avoided her at all costs. If in the future, we see through Cruise Critic that we will be on the same cruise with her, and she is organizing another Meet and Greet, we shall avoid it like the plague.

Maybe its my dark humour or my sarcastic British nature but Im not sure I would be offended by that at all.

On our last cruise a few Americans chatted to us about how we felt about the royals/the new prince being born and as someone who is very anti royal I let them know how I felt.

I agree it some ways there are light hearted topics for holiday but certain topics really are amusing/exciting...even for first impressions.

If all else fails...more frozen drinks!

ehh, I'm anti-obama & becoming anti-american govt & I served my country so others can have the right to their opinion. And I'm not ashamed to say things I feel, I'm not very PC as some would put it. It may be selfish of me to do such things but ehh, whatever. 8)

I can deal with others saying they are pro-obama, pro-govt, for the right to remove my weapons. Doesnt mean I have to agree with them, its just their opinion & mine would differ, doesnt mean I need to get into an arguement with them, or a verbal/physical assault, I just shrug & walk away.

Considering my size & build with my background, very few are willing to actually take it to a physical level. I had a girlfriend once discribe me as looking like a lion but actually a pussycat.. very scary looking but the sweetest personality, heheh.

I've gotten into too many disagreements on BB's to take them to heart, even ones that I met the person later in RL at gatherings. Usually we discuss it, & either agree to disagree or become friends.

I refuse to let someone keep me away from an event I want to attend. (shrug)

Go if you want, dont go if you want, ultimately the decision is your to make.

Maybe its my dark humour or my sarcastic British nature but Im not sure I would be offended by that at all.

It's an American thing, the country is going through a difficult time right now. I was amazed at the number of discussions started by tourist on port tours while on our New England/Canada cruise. Even the Canadian tour operators had opinions. I also enjoy sarcastic humor, but I found it best to talk about the lobster.:cool:

Burt

It's an American thing, the country is going through a difficult time right now. I was amazed at the number of discussions started by tourist on port tours while on our New England/Canada cruise. Even the Canadian tour operators had opinions. I also enjoy sarcastic humor, but I found it best to talk about the lobster.:cool:

Burt

Indeed, I saw in the news and unfortunately the UK is going through pain as well...in some ways much worse/better depending on how you look at it.

I wouldnt be offended by a US/UK remark like above either way.

My close friends have seen how I joke about our royal family having 'the Russian treatment' ....Im not the most patriotic person in the world. :)

Edited by Velvetwater