Confused over Carnival Smoking Policy

I think LHP put it best when stating: "Many of my friends discreetly use their E - Cigs in "nonsmoking" places without issue."

The key word here being discretely.

There are a few places in LA that still don't enforce the e-cig ban and those are the places I frequent most.

LHP, I am with you 100% on the below. Hopefully e-cigs will become more common and widely accepted over time.

"The reason Carnival currently says "smoking areas only" is for 2 reasons:

1) to prevent the staff and crew from having to chase down every puff of smoke to verify it is real or E....

2) sadly there would be additional problems with smokers seeing the "puff" and assuming it is a real cigarette and then lighting up themselves.

The " well I saw them doing it" would just add a whole new can of worms that staff and crew do not have the time to handle and should not have to handle.

I am hoping that when E-Cigarettes become common place, this restriction will be lifted because that is what E-Cigs are designed for.

I do not smoke, but I have pushed for years for Carnival to sell E-Cigs at the bar.

It would be a win/win for smokers and nonsmokers alike AND would make Carnival money."

This is such a GREAT idea LHP!!!! I hope they take your advice! That would be a total win-win, especially if some smokers of traditional cigarettes were converted in the process :)

I guess I'll be getting a taste of ecigs discreetness next month. I'm using mine to quit in steps like you would the patch. Down to 6mgs of nicotine. Just started the 6, so I don't think I'll be at 0 next month but almost ready for it. Thank I'll have to come up with another vise to get rid of the ecig.

I have used my vapor cigarette in the Comedy Club before after I saw the lady sitting in front of me using hers.... No problems whatsoever .... Even had a man sitting in the booth next to us asking me if he could see it, because he thought they were interesting and a great concept for the smoking issues on ships... Oh I use mine in our interior cabin, with not one problem, because there is NO SMELL, NO ASHES, NO MOTHING!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

E cigs are banned in some places as they emit nicotine into the air and can be inhaled by not users, much like real cigs. Second hand smoke(vapor).

And although it may not seem like much if u have a heart problem nicotine can narrow you veins and blood flow.

It can be a problem if u are beside someone smoking one.

Most people believe they are just a vapor. Not so.

Enjoy them in the smoking area PLEASE.

E cigs are banned in some places as they emit nicotine into the air and can be inhaled by not users, much like real cigs. Second hand smoke(vapor).

And although it may not seem like much if u have a heart problem nicotine can narrow you veins and blood flow.

It can be a problem if u are beside someone smoking one.

Most people believe they are just a vapor. Not so.

Enjoy them in the smoking area PLEASE.

Not sure where you have received your information from, but my heart doctor will disagree 100% .... Like he put it... Key word is "VAPOR" such as " Vaporizes" as on poof it's gone as fast as it's there.... And most of us have gotten to the point we don't even have nicotine in our liquids... So another uninformed opinion to try to get some if us now " non- smokers of the evil cigarettes" that everyone was raising heck about, to give up EVERYTHING that provides a little pleasure just to make opinionated people happy!!!!! I don't think the personal vapor cigs should be allowed in the dining room, just because I even as a smoker hated cigarettes in a dining area because I always have thought it tacky.... But there are those who see it differently from me and that's great.... Not one to insist everything be MY WAY!!!!

People standing near someone using an e-cigarette will be exposed to nicotine, but not to other chemicals found in tobacco cigarette smoke, according to a new study.

E-cigarettes, or electronic cigarettes, create a nicotine-rich vapor that can be inhaled, or 'vaped.'

Researchers and regulators have questioned whether e-cigarettes are a smoking cessation aid or may lure more young people toward smoking, as well as what effects they have on health.

"There is ongoing public debate whether e-cigarettes should be allowed or prohibited in public spaces," study co-author Maciej Goniewicz told Reuters Health in an email.

Goniewicz is a cancer researcher in the Department of Health Behavior at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, New York.

"E-cigarettes contain variable amounts of nicotine and some traces of toxicants. But very little is known to what extent non-users can be exposed to nicotine and other chemicals in situations when they are present in the same room with users of e-cigarettes," Goniewicz said.

He and his colleagues conducted two studies of secondhand exposure to e-cigarette vapors in a laboratory. Their results were published in Nicotine and Tobacco Research.

In the first study, the researchers used an electronic smoking machine to generate vapor in an enclosed space. They measured the amount of nicotine as well as carbon monoxide and other potentially harmful gases and particles in the chamber.

The second study included five men who regularly smoked both tobacco cigarettes and e-cigarettes. Each man entered a room and smoked his usual brand of e-cigarette for two five-minute intervals over an hour while the researchers measured air quality. The room was cleaned and ventilated and the experiment was repeated with tobacco cigarettes.

The researchers measured nicotine levels of 2.5 micrograms per cubic meter of air in the first study. Nicotine levels from e-cigarettes in the second study were slightly higher at about 3.3 micrograms per cubic meter. But tobacco cigarette smoking resulted in nicotine levels ten times higher at almost 32 micrograms per cubic meter.

"The exposure to nicotine is lower when compared to exposure from tobacco smoke. And we also know that nicotine is relatively safer when compared to other dangerous toxicants in tobacco smoke," Goniewicz said.

E-cigarettes also produced some particulate matter, but regular cigarettes produced about seven times more. E-cigarettes didn't change the amount of carbon monoxide or other gases in the air.

"What we found is that non-users of e-cigarettes might be exposed to nicotine but not to many toxicants when they are in close proximity to e-cigarette users," said Goniewicz.

This was in the new your dailey newspaper. And lots more like it on the webs try googling it. States dont just "ban it for no reason"

Edited by nstraveller

If my pulmonologist says its okay, than it's ok in my book. Just another witch hunt going on, some states a setup for taxes. So much other crap we have to breath everyday, that is "safe". The water we drink laden with chlorine, but at safe levels. Ok, I really believe its all about where the buck goes, how much, and in who's pocket,

Each to there own, but why should i have to breath it if i dont want to.

In the smoking area is great and if i want to breath i will go there.

However where do i go if i dont want to breath it ? Thats why it is regulated in some states and more to follow.

I agree its better then cigs but still has nicotine vapors.

I have nothing aqainst smoking them or real cigs. I just want a place where i dont have to be near it. Easiest way is to put them in the smoking area.

Where you get to smoke your vapor(nicotine), i get clean vapor free and smoke free air to breath.

Each to there own, but why should i have to breath it if i dont want to.

In the smoking area is great and if i want to breath i will go there.

However where do i go if i dont want to breath it ? Thats why it is regulated in some states and more to follow.

I agree its better then cigs but still has nicotine vapors.

I have nothing aqainst smoking them or real cigs. I just want a place where i dont have to be near it. Easiest way is to put them in the smoking area.

Where you get to smoke your vapor(nicotine), i get clean vapor free and smoke free air to breath.

I hope you don't eat Tomatos, Potatos, Eggplant, Peppers, or drink black tea as all 5 have WAY MORE nicotine then the above study you quoted. Not only that but if you let vapors vape in public lounges you would have to be sitting right next to them with them exhaling vapor in your face in order for you to get any nicotine in your system. Even with an electronic smoking machine filling a room with vapor they couldn't get more then a negligible amount of nicotine.

The current FDA study being conducted by the UofMD has so far found no major health risks to users of e-cigs and no 2nd hand risks.

This was in the new your dailey newspaper. And lots more like it on the webs try googling it. States dont just "ban it for no reason"

Actually yes States do. Maryland after doing the research and talking with experts chose not to because the second hand risk is beyond negligible according to current research. Nicotine is less harmful then caffeine in the negligible quantities in 2nd hand vapor

Guess i hit a sore spot with the smokers. Why would i want to inhale vapor from someone else. I chose to eat what i want.That my choice. However not once have i been ask if i minded if they used a ecig. They take it for granted that its ok.

Therefore i have no choice if i breath nicotine or not. Its to late after they make vapor with it. And yes i do move on, but why should I have to.

This is easily controllable.

What does this have to do with smoking on the Magic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Just pointing out that it's not just cruise chips where eCigs are banned in public places, it's happening everywhere. But thanks for playing

Your heart doctor aka cardiologist needs to keep up to date. Current studies by the american college of Cardiology tells us that ecigs contains nicotine are carcinogenic and deposit vapor particles on all surfaces

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

And our pulmonologists in practice tell all patients not to use it as studies are revealing problems. If those of you who are old enough to remember cigarettes were also thought to be safe

Sorry Fitzget I don't play with whiny cry babies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm not whining, at all. I'm just following along and laughing. People smoke ecigs in my office and no one complains. LOL. If you put a blind fold on someone and smoked an ecig near them, they probably wouldn't even know.

I have no fight in this game.

And our pulmonologists in practice tell all patients not to use it as studies are revealing problems. If those of you who are old enough to remember cigarettes were also thought to be safe

Huh...What studies? I haven't seen any. And my dad's pulmonologist just last week recommended he use one to quit smoking

Guess i hit a sore spot with the smokers. Why would i want to inhale vapor from someone else. I chose to eat what i want.That my choice. However not once have i been ask if i minded if they used a ecig. They take it for granted that its ok.

Therefore i have no choice if i breath nicotine or not. Its to late after they make vapor with it. And yes i do move on, but why should I have to.

This is easily controllable.

In case you were unaware: You already do inhale vapor from someone else you just don't know because you can't see it. Every single breathing human being exhales vapor from their lungs with every breath they take.

I'm not whining, at all. I'm just following along and laughing. People smoke ecigs in my office and no one complains. LOL. If you put a blind fold on someone and smoked an ecig near them, they probably wouldn't even know.

I have no fight in this game.

DING DING DING..... You nailed it!!!!!

In case you were unaware: You already do inhale vapor from someone else you just don't know because you can't see it. Every single breathing human being exhales vapor from their lungs with every breath they take.

#2 answer to argue with people that I have come to the conclusion , would like nothing better than to tell EVERYONE ELSE to quit doing anything and everything that they don't like!!!!!! No pleasing SOME people.... And now they are running to their " studies" to see how harmful the vapor from our lungs is, and come back demanding we all quit breathing around them!!!!

#2 answer to argue with people that I have come to the conclusion , would like nothing better than to tell EVERYONE ELSE to quit doing anything and everything that they don't like!!!!!! No pleasing SOME people.... And now they are running to their " studies" to see how harmful the vapor from our lungs is, and come back demanding we all quit breathing around them!!!!

ROFLMAO - I am waiting patiently for that one. For all the folks that say why should I have to breathe your vapor -- Why should I have to breathe your germs on an elevator? Should we all hold our breaths while in tiny enclosed spaces :)

ROFLMAO - I am waiting patiently for that one. For all the folks that say why should I have to breathe your vapor -- Why should I have to breathe your germs on an elevator? Should we all hold our breaths while in tiny enclosed spaces :)

LOL, This just cracks me up.

All the stuff we breathe in everyday, knowing or unknowing. That gives me a smile to know what they maybe smelling on the elevator.

So let them keep carrying on here all they want, I couldn't care less. All just words on the internet. Great entertainment.