Cruising with two boys under four?

thefamilyb

Hi all!

I'm new to the forums here :)

We live in Vancouver and are interested in doing an Alaska cruise with our two boys who will be age 3.5 and almost 2. I can't seem to check the prices for children those ages but I'm wondering if they have discounted rates?

We've done cruises on our own but never with young children so were wondering how that'd go over on Norwegian. I'd prefer to do a Disney but it's nearly double the price, so I'm wondering how family friendly NCL would be for us.

Any thoughts, tips or advice??

Thank you :)

Moments in Mommyland

I see it once a year or so. This year they offered it basically all of March (I think). I would suggest you get a PCC (personal cruise consultant) and have them keep you informed of all the upcoming sales etc. PCCs are GREAT. If you need one, go to facebook and ask on the NCL page as we are not allowed (for some absurd reason) to share that info here. There are several of us who have fantastic PCCs.

Edited by Sika Dellick

Call now and check with NCL for the availability and pricing. I got the Kids Sail Free deal for a cruise in December. I have twin 3.5 year olds so this was a HUGE savings for us. The kids sail free option is available until March 31st but your sailing dates are not limited to right now. Also, they only require a small deposit ($250) for us and it's completely refundable up to a certain date (ours is in Sept). I booked last week and I have 6 months to pay for it or get a refund. Just make sure you call and have them price it out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to my PCC, he said they run the promo 2Xs a year....It may be different for Alaska cruises though since they have such limited sail dates...they usually run it for ones that the kiddos are in school to get more people on those cruises...:)

Edited by skyfire53

I highly recommend a balcony, or a suite if that is in your budget, so you and the hub have somewhere to sit after your kids go to bed. Trying to be quiet as a mouse or having to go to bed at 8 p.m. is not my idea of a fun vacation.

And your kids are not old enough to sleep on top bunks, so keep in mind when booking that in some cabins, you and dh could end up on the top bunks! Try to pick one with a pull-out couch for the kids. Make sure it is an actual couch and not the chair that unfolds into a bed for one that is in some cabins.

Also, take the kids to the lumberjack show in Ketchikan. They will love it! You can buy tickets online cheaper than the ship excursion and it is super easy to walk to from the port. Not sure where else you will stop in Alaska but we did a carriage ride in Victoria BC that my kids loved. We also spent five days in Seattle pre-cruise. Much fun stuff for kids there, but the highlight for us was the Ducks tour.

We had a good guide to Alaska cruise ports that I used to plan our trip. I think it was from Rick Steves. I also bought my kids a kids' guide to Alaska cruising from Amazon. My 8 year old read it and was very into it, but you could always read it to your little kids to prepare them for what to expect on a cruise in general and specifically on an Alaska cruise.