Advice for wheelchair Paris, London & transportation

drafj7

Need some tips/advice for our upcoming British Aisles cruise. We are doing a pre cruise on our own. My wife only needs a wheelchair for long distance walking. We are planning on bringing our own wheelchair. We are landing in Paris. Spending three days there then taking Eurostar to London and will spend two days there. Taking the bus from cruise line at Victoria coach station. Flying back at the airport in Copenhagen. My concern is pushing my wife and dealing with two large suitcases. Is there usually help at the airports and train station as well as Victoria Coach. Also is it difficult getting around Paris and London with a wheelchair. My wife is capable of short term walking as well as climbing a few stairs.

Thanks

I find London and Paris easier to get around than New York City in the US. Not all curbs will have a curb cut and sometimes there will be cars parked in front of the cut. However, unlike New York, people will not stop in front of you at the curb cut leaving you in the street trying to get their attention to move before you get run over. We are doing a similar trip this summer but starting in London before going to Paris and on to Barcelona to join our ship. We have done this before as well as cruised in and out of Copenhagen. Can your wife hold some luggage on her lap while you push? I have done that. I now travel with a travelscoot scooter which frees my husband to manage the luggage. This is only a minor problem with planes as we check as much luggage as possible. On planes and trains I walk (using two canes) to my seat. The scoot has always been accommodated. I always go to the departing train station to scope out the situation a day or two before we are due to travel. I show the staff my equipment and the Eurostar people have been most helpful, although I have always traveled from London to Paris but that shouldn't make a difference. You will encounter cobblestones in Europe which can be uncomfortable to ride over and difficult to push over but not insurmountable.

drafj7

The UK and France are disabled friendly. First of all you need to contact your airlines to request Special Assistance and then you will be assisted with your wife and luggage at the airports.

If you haven't already booked your Eurostar tickets they offer a good discount (30%, I think) for the wheelchair user's companion. There is assistance at all Eurostar stations.

Assistance in British stations generally needs booking in advance, but it is available.

Buses and taxis in London are accessible, but the Underground can be more of a challenge as not all stations have disabled access, but you can find out which are by looking at Transport for London website.

Many museums and attractions in both UK and France have discounted or free entrance for disabled people and their carers. Look at the individual website for places you would like to visit. Many theatres also have 'carer goes free' for the ajority of productions. Not all of the old Victorian theatres are accessible, but many are.

I have limited mobility and go abroad quite often and don't have a problem. You should find lots of assistance available to you. We go very often to France and find it one of the most accessible countries. Again, like London the metro is not fully accessible.

It all requires research and planning, but you shouldn't have any problems.

One mote opinion for you. When we were in Copenhagen I was still using a wheelchair and my husband pushed me all over Copenhagen including the park. Our only problem was that he is very tall and bending over eventually tired his back. However by the time we thought to order extensions for him, I had moved on to a rollator. Busses in Copenhagen were easy, too, as are the trains we used in Europe and England. Just let airlines, ships, and Eurostar know what mobility equipment you are bringing and what help you will need from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app