Glacier caves questions

jojoanddash

I want to see some glacier caves at least 1..... we are going on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Sea from Vancouver to Sewart then we are staying 1 night in Seward then taking the train to Anchorage will stay there overnight and taking a rental car to Denali National park for 2 nights then back to Anchorage for 2 nights. There will be hubby, me & my Mom she doesn't want to fly in the helicopters or small planes so is there anywhere that it is pretty easy to get to a glacier that could have the glacier caves? Thanks in advance for any info.

I want to see some glacier caves at least 1..... we are going on the Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Sea from Vancouver to Sewart then we are staying 1 night in Seward then taking the train to Anchorage will stay there overnight and taking a rental car to Denali National park for 2 nights then back to Anchorage for 2 nights. There will be hubby, me & my Mom she doesn't want to fly in the helicopters or small planes so is there anywhere that it is pretty easy to get to a glacier that could have the glacier caves? Thanks in advance for any info.

Not likely with your limitations. You can get glacier access and may be able to get to some small "indents" at Matansuka Glacier. This is a two hour drive from Anchorage, and you would need to invest in at least 3-4 hours of trekking- guided.

You may want to think about readjusting your schedule. You aren't going to get into Anchorage until late from Seward, depending on what your activities, it may be more beneficial to split the 2 Anchorage nights. Or if you decide on Matansuka, there is little sense to stay in Anchorage when Mat Su is much more convenient.

If you have the time in Juneau, there is a guided tour to the caves at the Mendenhall glacier. I have not taken this tour personally, but have made the hike as far as the face of the glacier and I am fairly certain they take the same way.

The hike is some work. I am an overweight desk jockey, but I was able to make the hike there and back without much issues. It is about a 7 hour tour though. I forget the name of the company though. I'm sure you can come up with it on google.

I'm taking the Juneau Tour to Mendenhall Glacier in a month when we go. It's a 6-7.5 hour and we are very excited. It is by Above and Beyond Alaska, but there is no guarantee that they can get you into the ice caves, it is all based on what can be safely traversed at the time or the hike. We have our fingers crossed but understand that safety is the top priority, We will be there EARLY in the season, May 1st in Juneau, so I can give a new review when I get back later that week :)

OK your time in Juneau would allow you to take the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. The next best place would be when the ship cruises Hubbard Glacier. I am not sure what is available around Seward. BTW only a tidewater glacier calves.