Diaper disposal on cruise ships

bangzoom6877

This may sound like a stupid question, but where do you dispose of dirty (I mean DIRTY) diapers on the ship? At home we use a diaper Genie, and at my mother's house or sister's house we put the diaper in a plastic bag and take it out to the trash outside. I need some input on this one. We're planning a cruise on the Norwegian Spirit next summer and my son will be 18 months old at that time. This will be the first time we are going on vacation since he was born so I don't have and will not have any experience with this until the cruise. Help!

-Bonnie

We took along either a small box of ziploc bags or a box of scented diaper baggies (from our local Dollar Tree) as well as a trial size can of Lysol. The cabin steward empties the trash in your cabin twice each day, so usually that is sufficient to avoid any nasty odors. If you're REALLY concerned, you could ask your cabin steward if there is a closet or other area outside the cabin where you could put the dirty diapers if needed. For us, simply sealing the diaper in a ziploc followed by a few mists of Lysol in the room was enough. It works as well (if not better) than using a Diaper Genie, in my opinion (although I never thought our Diaper Genie hold odors that well, so I may be biased). :)

Have a great cruise!

My son was always kind of a pebble pooper so we dumped what we could in the toilet and then wrapped the diaper up in a plastic grocery bag and tied off the ends. We never noticed any real odor. Also, just in case of extreme tummy upset I always tell new cruising parents to bring a bottle of pedialyte. It may take up a lot of room and hopefully you won't have to use it, but you will be happy to have it should you need it!!!

PS I always filled the front zipper pockets of my suitcases with diapers. You would be amazed how many you can cram in there!!

Cabinforfour, I understand what you're saying about the Diaper Genie. I agree that it doesn't mask odors as well as I would like it to. The Ziploc bags sound like a great idea!

Dosi, thanks for the packing tip! We think alike, I assumed that any time I travel, I would bring along Pedialyte. You never know if a child is going to get ill, be it from a virus or from food they are not used to eating, and I figured we would always go prepared. I am sure they don't sell Pedialyte on the ship, so in case of anything I figured I would bring some. I also plan to bring other things, like baby Tylenol for example. I am sure my sister can help me with that, she cruised with her daughter when she was 14 months old, and then with both kids when the younger daughter was 6 months old. She's actually on a cruise right now so I couldn't ask her, and I wanted to get some input from others as well!

Bonnie

when we cruised last summer, my son was 16 mos. i bought those scented diaper disposal bags that babies r us sells, they are blue. i got a thing of 50 i think and that was plenty, seeing as i only used them for the dirty diapers. also we found that putting them on the balcony until the cabin steward came was a good idea. not much smell escaped the bags anyways, but at least putting them outside made it a little better. and the cabin steward knew we had a baby so he would stop by more often. :)

good luck,

gina

when we cruised last summer, my son was 16 mos. i bought those scented diaper disposal bags that babies r us sells, they are blue. i got a thing of 50 i think and that was plenty, seeing as i only used them for the dirty diapers. also we found that putting them on the balcony until the cabin steward came was a good idea. not much smell escaped the bags anyways, but at least putting them outside made it a little better. and the cabin steward knew we had a baby so he would stop by more often. :)

good luck,

gina

Our daughter was 2 1/2 when we traveled and I was holding her off on potty training since we were traveling in the Mediterranean and I thought it might be difficult to find restrooms at a moments notice. :) We also used the scented diaper disposal bags that babies r us sells. They worked great. We also had a balcony but didn't need to put them out there. I used the normal trash in the bathroom and we never had a problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived