Sapphire and Mountain Top?

FloridaLaura

My friends have never been to St. Thomas, We wanted to show them Sapphire Beach and swim there for a few hours and also go to Mountain Top (banana daiquiris) I think that was the name of the place overlooking Magens Bay maybe? Also wanted to go to Charlotte Amelia for a quick bite at Gladys Restaurant before heading back ship. We are in port Monday May 12th from 7am til 5pm and I believe we are the only ship in port! Is this doable ? There are 8 of us total. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated... TIA

Edited by FloridaLaura

You could easily do this if you arrange a private tour with a taxi driver either at the dock or in advance. Most of the typical island tours offered at the dock or on some taxi driver websites include shopping, beach time, island tour (which includes a stop at Mountain Top), and narration.

Some taxi drivers are reluctant to take cruisers to Sapphire, though, because there's no chair rental or restrooms for the public. If you don't mind a towel on the sand, Sapphire may still be attractive to you.

Yes you may want to look at hiring a taxi driver to work with you on this itinerary, only because of the taxi costs each way for 8pp. Taxi fare from Havensight where you are docked to Sapphire, back to MT, and then to town will be about $28pp total. So if you can get a better deal by working with a driver and still get a few hours in at Sapphire go for it.

Mountaintop is more commercial-looking than the version that burned down but the view of Magens is beautiful. The banana daiquiris just didn't seem the same to us but I'm sure it was just because we missed the old place.

Another option is Paradise Point with the view of the harbor and crusie ships. Great spot to enjoy a Bailey's Bushwacker and the amazing view. The taxi can drop you at the top and there's an aerial tram there and if you take that down you can walk back to the ship. Probably about the same price or a little more to get dropped at PP and take the tram or taxi down than going to MT. So you have choices.

Sapphire is still a gorgeous beach and food and drinls are available, just no chairs or restrooms. But if you can be happy on a towel in the sand and using the sapphire-colored water to relieve yourself in a pinch :eek: you will be very happy! :D

I would avoid an organized tour for your day since you have an itinerary you like and don't need to be tied to a larger group.

Yes you may want to look at hiring a taxi driver to work with you on this itinerary, only because of the taxi costs each way for 8pp. Taxi fare from Havensight where you are docked to Sapphire, back to MT, and then to town will be about $28pp total. So if you can get a better deal by working with a driver and still get a few hours in at Sapphire go for it.

Mountaintop is more commercial-looking than the version that burned down but the view of Magens is beautiful. The banana daiquiris just didn't seem the same to us but I'm sure it was just because we missed the old place.

Another option is Paradise Point with the view of the harbor and crusie ships. Great spot to enjoy a Bailey's Bushwacker and the amazing view. The taxi can drop you at the top and there's an aerial tram there and if you take that down you can walk back to the ship. Probably about the same price or a little more to get dropped at PP and take the tram or taxi down than going to MT. So you have choices.

Sapphire is still a gorgeous beach and food and drinls are available, just no chairs or restrooms. But if you can be happy on a towel in the sand and using the sapphire-colored water to relieve yourself in a pinch :eek: you will be very happy! :D

I would avoid an organized tour for your day since you have an itinerary you like and don't need to be tied to a larger group.

Thank you Blue Water! I will give all these options to my friends! Maybe paradise point will be a good option (we haven't been to PP yet either, so that will be new to us!)

Great! I think PP would be a good fit with Sapphire. And if you have a dedicated driver he/she can stay with you there.

The only question is getting downtown for shopping, you would want to do that before PP probably so you could relax before returning to the ship. There are also many of the same stores right at the Havensight Mall unless you wanted to show your friends the historic setting in town...

Great! I think PP would be a good fit with Sapphire. And if you have a dedicated driver he/she can stay with you there.

The only question is getting downtown for shopping, you would want to do that before PP probably so you could relax before returning to the ship. There are also many of the same stores right at the Havensight Mall unless you wanted to show your friends the historic setting in town...

We actually wanted to have lunch at Gladys Cafe. We have been there twice and loved it. That will be a good thing to do before going to PP, then relax up there with a drink or two....or three lol

Thank you for the ideas!!!

I just spent a week at Sapphire the end of February. There are lots of stacked loungers along the edge of the beach. Most are marked with a condo number and to be used by the owners there or their guests. But, many are not being used and it most likely would not be a big issue if someone in your group used one to throw your towel on. Many people actually just hang their towels over the low hanging sea grape trees while in the water. I definitely agree with the above suggestion of pre-arranging a taxi driver to be on the dock ready to take your group to Sapphire etc as soon as you debark the ship. However, with that said, you could rent a car for the day and take yourself all around. Driving around the island was a lot of FUN!!! Budget lists Havensight as rental location, but I would contact them just to verify that they still have an office there and not just at the airport. If so, be adventurous and do it. Then, you are totally at your own leisure. Sapphire Beach is the most exposed beach on the island so therefore it is the most susceptible to wind and choppier sea conditions. You won't know if it's a calm day there or not until you get there. "If" it happened to be a rough day for Sapphire then you could always head up around to Coki Point or Lindquist Beach...both of which are only about ten minutes beyond Sapphire. Have a GREAT trip!! I miss it there everyday.

hey Blue water...not too many people (tourists) can remember the mountain top before it burned down. there were a lot of little shops inside and more authentic caribbean feel. On my first visit to the mountain top, i was hung over from the night before and i spent most of the time up there in the bathroom. good times. Now it is way to modern and all steel!!! I was sadden when i heard the day it caught on fire!

I like your idea of relaxing at Sapphire and then enjoying MT or PP, that's a perfect day on STT! We rent a car when staying at Sapphire but for one day it's much easier to hire a taxi and saves precious time as well.

The pool bar is being updated so that bodes well for other future projects at the SBRM.

Sapphire is generally nice and calm but any beach can experience rougher water depending on current sea conditions. For a more protected beach Secret Harbor would be ideal, but that doesn't offer the beauty and character of Sapphire.

Have a great day!