Allison & David's Carnival Valor (3/2/14) Anniversary Adventure

ucfalli

Happy Anniversary Allison and David. I feel like I know you two from your Miracle review of you honeymoon. DH and I are sailing the Miracle for the second time to Alaska later this month. This will be my first time in Vancouver and I am using your review to plan our trip. Looking forward to the rest of this review.

Thanks!

Lucky! We absolutely loved Alaska and hope to return some day in the future. Miracle I would say has been my favorite ship. :D

Enjoy Vancouver. It's my favorite big city that I have been to. Very friendly and the scenery is beautiful.

I do remember your cruise review from last year, which I really enjoyed. You did an awesome job on your pre-cruise trip, I loved it. Can't wait to continue reading this review. I'm trying to decide what to do for a cruise for next year.

I do remember your cruise review from last year, which I really enjoyed. You did an awesome job on your pre-cruise trip, I loved it. Can't wait to continue reading this review. I'm trying to decide what to do for a cruise for next year.

Thanks! This really is a great itinerary.

Day 2: Puerto Rico Adventure

3/01/14

Today we had an all day excursion planned with Natural Wonders. We went to El Yunque National Forest, Luquillo Beach, and the Fajardo Bioluminescent Bay. At first I had some difficulty getting a hold of Natural Wonders, but they have good reviews for a reason and I would highly recommend them.

For breakfast we went to the Cafeteria Mallorca. The service was quick and it was European in feeling. I got a Mallorca with butter and David had some pancakes. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos. The Mallorca was fluffy and yummy, but David wasn't too crazy for his pancakes. David got a guava pastry to go, which was very yummy.

We then headed back to the hotel to grab all our stuff for the day and we waited for our tour to pick us up in the hotel lobby. Aisha was our tour guide today and she was right on time to pick us up. We then picked up another couple and a mother and son. There was a total of 6 of us plus Aisha.

Our first stop on the excursion was El Yunque National Forest. There were some clouds around and it looked like we just missed a bit of rain when we got out to the Yokahu Observation Tower. The tower is a great way to get a good orientation of the forest. Be aware that there are a few steps to climb.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Day 2: Puerto Rico Adventure Continued

3/01/14

Next we headed to our first waterfall, the Juan Diego Falls. It was very muddy due to the recent rain. So I highly recommend either hiking boots or sneakers you don't care about! It's a short walk to the lower falls and then a short but very vertical hike up the upper falls. Be prepared to get muddy!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Lower falls

ry%3D400

Part of the trail

ry%3D400

Big snails

ry%3D400

3/01/14

The good thing about the recent rain was that the waterfalls were very full! Aisha said when she did a tour the other day it was very dry and the waterfalls were minimal.

Lower falls of Juan Diego Falls

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Upper falls of Juan Diego Falls

ry%3D400

As you can see there was someone swimming in the falls, which is allowed. Aisha recommended against it since the water was running brown (meaning that it was moving fast and picking up a a lot of debris) and that flash floods were possible.

We then made our way to the most popular falls, La Mina Falls. It started to drizzle a little, so David and I grabbed our ponchos. The hike to La Mina Falls is paved and not very difficult but is long, about an hour. I switched out to my waterproof Kodak, so the photos aren't as good here.

This is part of the path. Gets slippery when wet!

ry%3D400

It is very crowded to see La Mina Falls, this is the bridge facing them and was when fewer people were there for a moment.

ry%3D400

3/01/14

La Mina Falls

ry%3D400

There were a lot of people swimming in the falls!

ry%3D400

Some more of the trail

ry%3D400

We then stopped for some lunch at La Muralla. David and I got some very yummy kabobs and a meat/potato fried ball.

We made our way next to view the La Coca Falls, which are right by the road. We had passed them earlier in the day and now within a few hours they looked very different (less full).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

3/01/14

We then proceeded to head out of El Yunque. We headed to an area of the park that most do not visit, stopping at a river that the locals hang out at.

ry%3D400

At this point Aisha would normally take the tour to the natural water slides that a lady has in her backyard. However due to the brown water, we bypassed it due to safety.

We then headed to Luquillo Beach for some relaxation. Aisha told us because she had an early tour tomorrow, that she wouldn't be with us for the rest of our tour. Paul would take her place, picking us up in about an hour. We were given our choice of soda, water, or beer to take with us for the beach. This was a beach that the locals went to. I personally wasn't a fan of the beach itself, was more of a dirt then a sand. The water was very calm. We just relaxed till it was time to go.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

3/01/14

We met Paul and he took us to the Fajardo Bioluminescent Bay for our kayak tour. Tonight was a new moon, so it would be as dark. A few months ago the bioluminescence of the bay was affected and there was a "blackout". Thankfully it was bouncing back when we went. I didn't get any photos during the kayak tour. I wanted my hands completely free to paddle.

Before the tour I went to the bathroom and toilet paper was completely wiped out. Make sure to bring some tissue or toilet paper with you! All the locals were out tonight at the bay. Lots of parties and BBQs going on.

We joined a lot of other people for the kayak tour. It was a different company that ran the kayak portion. I don't remember their name. There were probably about 5-6 guides with us and they were all great! I have never been in a kayak, so it took a little bit to get use to. It was a lot more tiring then I thought it would be. I would recommend you be in good physical shape. The mother and son on the tour were older and needed assistance along the way.

On the way into the bay the sun was setting, so we could still see. When we got to the bay it had just gotten dark. The bioluminescence was amazing to see! Had a greenish/blue glow. Differently is something to see in your lifetime. One of the guides also pointed a few constellations in the sky while we were there.

The way back was pitch black. You have to be careful of the trees on the side. A couple of times, a powered boat came by and we had to stop, holding onto the branches to let them pass. After finally making it back (seems like a long time in the dark), they had water and snacks.

Paul then took us back to all our hotels. Was about an hour back to old San Juan. We at first were going to go out to the food trucks right by our hotel, but we were very tired and just called it a night.

Tomorrow we board the Valor! :D

Subscribing.... Thanks for taking the time to do another review. It is great so far. Love the pictures. We are on the Valor in Jan 2015 and even though we have done this itinerary twice before.... I still love seeing reviews on it. Just love the scenery. :D

Subscribing.... Thanks for taking the time to do another review. It is great so far. Love the pictures. We are on the Valor in Jan 2015 and even though we have done this itinerary twice before.... I still love seeing reviews on it. Just love the scenery. :D

I am the same way. The Valor reviews are some of my favorite to read :)

we are taking the same cruise on Sunday ... and my daughter was asking about the waterfalls ... how close are they to the cruise terminal ... do u think that we can see them Sunday before we set sail ...

Thanks for any info .

Jodi

El Yunque is I think an hour away and you basically have all day to do what you want since the boat's all aboard isn't till 9pm. You have plenty of time. I personally just would find an organized tour for peace of mind so you don't get stressed getting back to the boat. Also driving in Puerto Rice is pretty crazy (my opinion).

For breakfast we went to the Cafeteria Mallorca. The service was quick and it was European in feeling. I got a Mallorca with butter and David had some pancakes. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos. The Mallorca was fluffy and yummy, but David wasn't too crazy for his pancakes. David got a guava pastry to go, which was very yummy.

Loving the review, I'm taking the same cruise in June for my birthday & can't wait:D!!! I'm also staying at the Sheraton OSJ & want to have breakfast at Cafeteria Mallorca....Can you tell me how far it was from the hotel?

Thanks