Snorkel gear in Barbados...

Firewife1031

Hey all,

I read on a CC review that Carnival "forbade" customers from bringing their own snorkel gear onboard a ship sponsored Barbados snorkel excursion. Has anyone had any experience with this particular issue? We sail in 21 days and booked a pirate ship snorkel excursion through Carnival. This was the only reason we were bringing our own gear. Thanks in advance!

Nic

Hey all,

I read on a CC review that Carnival "forbade" customers from bringing their own snorkel gear onboard a ship sponsored Barbados snorkel excursion. Has anyone had any experience with this particular issue? We sail in 21 days and booked a pirate ship snorkel excursion through Carnival. This was the only reason we were bringing our own gear. Thanks in advance!

Nic

we brought our own gear in January. Did not have any issues.

Here's a link to the review I read, along with the excerpt..

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfmEntryID=252899

"Barbados we did a ship sponsored shore excursion with catamaran and the turtles and were pretty disappointed. It just didn't seem very well organized. People on barbados just didn't seem very happy to be dealing with us that day. We were told after booking that we could not use our snorkel fins on barbados excursions. We then said we would switch to a different excursion and they were going to charge us a cancellation fee. All this within 2 minutes of booking the excursion. We were not happy and the only comment i have is "shame on you - Carnival" we won't make that mistake again."

I hope it was just a misunderstanding. Why would Carnival deny someone use of their own gear?:confused:

We were on a private excursion and we could not use our fins when we snorkeled with the turtles to protect the turtles. After the turtle part we were able to use fins during the shipwreck part.

Now that reason makes sense! Thanks for the info!

We did a barbados excursion in March 2014, and found out after paying for it we could not use our fins at any stop, at the beach or out with the turtles. We were really disappointed. We tryed to change excursions but they were going to charge us a fee for switching. They didn't give us a reason for not allowing it, but when we got to the boat the captain also said they do not allow it. When we arrived at the two locations, other boats did have people with fins, but some other did not allow it either. We just wish the shore excursion desk had told us before we booked it instead of waiting to tell us after we paid for the excursion.

Edited by Nick55

I'm really sorry you guys were disappointed! That doesn't seem fair that others would be allowed to bring gear but not Carnival cruisers. Which excursion was it if you don't mind me asking? Did they provide their own gear or were you not allowed period? Thanks!

The ship excursion we were on was one of the catamaran snorkle with the turtles and beach excursion, which included beer or rum punch. They supplied mask, snorkle and vest to passengers, (we and others had our own equipment). There were a number of boats from various companies all congregating near the turtles. Some allowed fins. Some did not. Some allowed them at the beach only, ours did not allow them at any stop.

In regards to the comment about using fins by the turtles. I get that! And can agree with that. We are big outdoor people and would not want to do anything to harm them. Our point was that, had the cruise excursion staff told us BEFORE we bought the excursion, instead of after, we could have chosen to snorkle at another port - no harm - no foul. When they told us, after paying, as they gave us our tickets, we immediatly tried to change to a different type of tour and they told us they were going to charge us a penalty, as we were within the 24 hours for changes. It just didn't make sense to us, we literally paid 2 minutes earlier.

We have fairly good experience snorkling but we saw a number of people who were not strong swimmers struggling in 40' deep waters trying to swim against the current, due to not having the use of fins. It was a little windy and just seemed to be a lot of effort for snorkling that is not usually an issue for ship excursions. I don't think anyone was ever in danger, but it just seemed that a lot of people returned to the catamaran immediatly after going out due to the effort to swim against the current without fins that far from shore. We just wanted to mention our concerns so that novice swimmers take that into account when deciding what excursions you book on a port intensive trip.

We did snorkle excursions on other islands and had a great time, just not on this one in barbados. We typically get great help from ship excursion staff, just not this time. Also, they had 2 people working at the desk and we were the only people there. So it was not a problem with being too busy, it was just a trip up that i hope they fix for other passengers. Another learning experience for us, we never thought to ask about equipment as we had never had a previous snorkle trip that didn't allow you to use fins. Now we know to ask (before we pay).

Not using fins would be ok with me! I can swim without them or use supplied fins! Now I would not be happy if I could not use my Mask and Snorkel - who knows how sanitary they supplied ones are?

Thank you Nick55 for your reply. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens! LoriTx, that's why we're taking our own gear. It's worth paying the money knowing that my mouth has been the only one slobbering all over the mouth piece! LOL YECH!!:p

Thank you Nick55 for your reply. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens! LoriTx, that's why we're taking our own gear. It's worth paying the money knowing that my mouth has been the only one slobbering all over the mouth piece! LOL YECH!!:p

We snorkeled in Barbados. Th request not to use fins is indeed for the protection of the turtles. You are also asked. to to touch them as your body oils can soften the shell and create a pathway for infection. Unless there were turtles around the shipwrecks you should have been able to use them at the shipwrecks. Were had no problems snorkeling without our fins, but we did use our snorkel vests. We also take our own gear as we have seen very lax sanitation processes on some boats.