If you are going to Rome....

Just returned. It was great!
Best advice: Get Rick Steve's book "Rome 2004".
We opted to not use any guides, except for "on the spot" guides at the Coloseum, which included a free guide for the Forum (Brandan was Great!).
Plan on alot of walking.
We love Rome!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&prgb=32CD32&cdt=2004;04;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Thank you cowboy. I have been to Rome and love it as well. I am returning in June and have my own walking tour planned out with a simple itinerary.

Did you take the train into Rome?

Splendour of the Seas - Med
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year"value=2004>
<param name="month"value=6>
<param name="day"value=19>
<param name="hour"value=8>
</applet>

We thought Rick Steves book was good information as well. We stayed at one of his suggested hotels, Hotel Nardizzi and loved it. It was off the beaten path, VERY quiet,and convenient to all sites. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The price was right and the contentenal breakfast on the rooftop breezeway was delightful. They make an excellent cappuccino. The bus system in Rome is easy to use and we did the sites on our own. We only stayed two days post cruise and still have so much more we want to see. We took the train from the port to Rome and enjoyed the local transportation. We were warned once on by a local to watch out for a couple guys on the bus as they were known pickpockets, but other than that we never were approched or felt uncomfortable any where we went. We loved Rome too and hope to return someday. Anyone interested in tablecloths, this is the place to buy them. They are beautiful and inexpensive.

DianneH, Thank you for your post. I plan to travel from Civitavecchia to Rome by train, but I have read on these boards that it can be a problem getting a taxi from the dock to the Civitavecchia train station. Did you get a cab and what was the system? Was there any difficulty? On previous cruises I have walked from the train to the ship but I would not want to do it with luggage.

[I]
The sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness.[/I]
As You Like It, Act iv, Scene 1

Remember the 110 bus route from Termini Station which visits most of the major sites in Rome and can be used as a Stop and Go service(visit a site then get on the next bus at one of the 10 stops)or can be used as a Non-Stop service for those who are in a hurry and don't want to get off. Buy tickets at the ATAC kiosk in front of the station in Piazza dei Cinquecento.

Mike - thanks for your past help, & now I'm asking for more [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Do you know which bus we could catch near Piazza Navona (& where to catch it) to return to Exedra at Piazza Repubblica? How long would the walk be, & is there another option besides bus?

Hi Trixie you could use the 110 tourist service from the station which stops near Piazza Navona or you could use the regular buses,I think number 70 connects Piazza Navona with Piazza Repubblica. The walk should be around 30/40 minutes .

Mike

Boreus,There was a shuttle bus that took us to the main street from the port area. From there we walked to the train station. Cross the street and make a right. It is not too far and we only had each, one pullman and one backpack. It wasnt the most fun thing I've ever done, but not the worst either. Many people walked. There were taxi's available at the port, what the cost was to train station, I do not know. It was pretty expensive because they wanted to take you to Rome, not the train station. The ticket on the Eurostar to Roma Termini was 8.62 euros, second class. I don't know the difference in 1st or 2nd, we found 2nd to be just fine. You have an assigned seat. There is over head space for luggage and an area for the larger pieces as you enter the train. Maybe someone will know the cost of the taxi??
Trixie,we used bus 64 to get most places. We stayed near Repubblica and it seemed to go most of the places we wanted. We bought a handy map before we went published by ROUGH GUIDES, 'Rome the Rough Guide Map'and it has the bus numbers at all the stops. Very nice.
Serena,As for the tablecloths, they are in many store windows with the prices on them. Most variety stores and household stores have them. You won't miss them if you are a textile connoisseur. The fabric there is great and there are many fabric stores as well. Trust me you will see them as you window shop. I'm sorry I do not remember the names of the stores. I will look through my pics I may have taken of the store. Good luck and Enjoy!!!! Dianne

DianneH, I appreciate your prompt reply, and what you say is pretty much what I feared. Getting off the ship and returning to real life is enough of a shock without having to deal with luggage too, so I think I will reserve a cab and cushion the impact. Thank you.

[I]
The sundry contemplation of my travels, which, by often rumination, wraps me in a most humorous sadness.[/I]
As You Like It, Act iv, Scene 1

Archived