Camp Carnival for 6yo

Snowbuddy

Can anyone give me some insight into the Camp Carnival activities/experience for a 6 yo? This fall will be our first cruise utilizing CC, so I am not really sure what to expect. DD takes a while to adjust to new situations, so we discovered role-playing/in-depth discussions ahead of time go a long way towards easing the anxiety! We obviously won't force her to go, kicking & screaming the whole time, but if we can get her to be more open-minded about it, and get her excited ahead of time, I will feel better knowing that we at least stand a chance of her trying it! TIA!!

We were on NCL and have used Atlantis Kids Club and I'd think most others all kind of work the same?

DD is diagnosed Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety and also very clingy.

You are right talking and letting them know exactly whats going to happen is really helpful.

Usually the first day you can do a tour and meet the counselors. And they show you all the fun stuff they have to do.

I did let her know ahead of time (get the schedule the first day or even from this site) that one night would be pirate parade and one night face painting and spy/magic stuff. They have such fun themes. And said perhaps maybe one day she could go see how it was. and there would be other kids there. she wouldnt have to speak. and I made sure and told her we would find out where the bathroom was and I would sit outside for 10 mins and then if she wanted to go just walk down the hall. And i let them know she might not want to play every game right away just ask her if she wants too bc she might want to watch.

And then some super cool lady named "Pepsi" took her hand and she skipped off to my surprise. I watched through an observation window for a bit and then I took the phone they gave me and called after an hour and asked them if she was ready for mom to come and she shook her head no. Alot of the games are team or everyone wins games.

The next night after dinner she didnt even want dessert she wanted to go. So they def are trained and gifted with knowing how to communicate with kids usually if this is the career theyve chosen. I did see parents leaving crying kids there and I def wouldnt have been into that.

Good Luck!

my dd was 6 when she went on her first cruise, so I think I can help you as it was on the Carnival Ecstasy.

The evening you board the ship they have a meeting to attend to register your kid(s) in Camp Carnival. For us it was in the theater. They hand out the Camp Carnival schedules at this time. Be sure to get yours! The camp she will be in is the 6-8 year old camp. Don't worry- this is a great age group and there are great activities for all the 6, 7 and 8 year olds.

That evening they had a dance and icebreaker in the Disco. It was a parent and child activity. Great opportunity to meet and greet other young cruisers and make friends.

Then throughout the week they have special things going on at certain times at certain places on the ship. Be sure to bring a highlighter:) and talk with your child about what activities might interest them.

It is not like a daycare that you drop them off at say 8am and pick them up at 5pm. Most events last an hour, and some only run 4 hours straight at a time ( in 1 hour increments) where they break a good while for lunch and break for dinner . My daughter loved being at camp. I think I was more apprehensive then she was in hindsight.

They have things where they do art projects, play board games, face painting,video games, and such. T-shirt making and trivia was my dd's highlights. They also can choose if they want to eat lunch or dinner with their friends they make at camp.If they do, they get to go to the Lido deck with the staff, they rope off an area just for them and the staff places their order and they bring the order for the kids to the tables. The day's menu should also be listed in the Camp Carnivals capers for the kids ( Fun Times)

They also have a late, late night program called fun 'til one. yes- that's 1 am in the morning! You pay a flat fee for the evening on your sign and sail card and they watch a movie, play games, and get little trinkets for the night. It is a strict sign in and sign out activity just like at regular day time camp activites- so do not forget your sign and sail card when picking her up! Some parents brought their kids with pillows and blankets for this night.

They also have something like a build a bear workshop on board that will be listed in the Camp Carnival capers for the kids too sometime that week.

The 6 year olds do not check themselves in or out on the ship, nor do they go swimming with the camp or anything like that.

Oh- just found one of our old capers, some activities that are listed were:

Connect Four tournament

Wii and PS3 tournament

Lego construction challenge

Life sized drawings

Opposites Game

Mini Golf

Sand Art

Towel animal folding class

Poison frog and Zip Zap

Mummy wrap and paper Ball war

Musical IQ

Basketball and Soccer

Watercoloring

again, this is just some of what we had, I am sure hers will not exactly be the same, but this gives you a general idea.

Hope this can help you out a bit for the 6-8 year old Camp Carnival;)

I used to think it was like "daycare" until we started sending our 6yo niece. It is her favorite thing about cruising. She loves the opening night dance party and Under the Sea party. She goes for little bits at a time and we pick her up for family time and swimming. We're getting ready to book her fifth cruise and we're booking the Freedom, so she can try the new Camp Ocean.

My son is 6 and just went on his first cruise, he loves Camp Carnival and still talks about it. As a matter of fact, I told him I was planning a vacation to Disney and he said he'd rather go on another cruise. :)

The first day we went to look around, then that night was a dance party which he had a great time at. Most of the time he would go for a few events, some days more than others. They had some games, some open play, video games, towel animals, etc. I can scan the papers for you if you'd like, we were on the Pride in January. The longest he stayed in was in Nassau because he didn't want to leave the ship, that was about 4 hours.

He did of the 3 parties as well, that does add up but he had fun and we got to see some more shows. He made a few friends and played with them in the pool as well, so that was nice.