Review - St. Thomas/Island Bliss/Villa Botanica April Fool's Wedding

Bo59rt

I am also getting married in St Thomas using Island Bliss. Thank you for your review! I am now even more excited than ever. I have until next April to wait, but it was nice to read all the remarks about Janelle and her Husband. Your wedding was beautiful!! Congrats!

I am also getting married in St Thomas using Island Bliss. Thank you for your review! I am now even more excited than ever. I have until next April to wait, but it was nice to read all the remarks about Janelle and her Husband. Your wedding was beautiful!! Congrats!

Congrats! They are awesome to work with. Have you picked out where you are getting married on the island??

Yeah, I decided on Lime Tree Beach. I wanted to get married on the beach but the idea of talk the sand and people watching and no privacy threw me off. And then I saw Lime Tree that it's private and the ceremony will be in a grassy area with the actual beach steps away. I'm excited. I will also have Alisha Orin for photography and her husband for videography. I don't think I will have a reception as of right now..still planning of course..

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's great! You are in awesome hands with Janelle and Elisha. I wish I could have done the videographer but we wanted the full wedding/reception so it wasn't in our budget. You will have so much fun with that group!

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Hi,

You're pictures are so AMAZING!! And your review was so detailed I felt like I was actually there with you! lol

You and your hubby looked so happy, I'm very thrilled your day went exactly the way you wanted it to!

I'm still doing my research on where I'd love to get married and so far I keep coming back to Island Bliss (St Thomas)! I don't want a quick and stand at the beach type affaire and I don't want random sunbathers in their speedos checking us out either, so I'm wondering if Janelle offers you a semi beach and villa option? Also, would it be rude of me to find out which package you chose? I have a general idea of how much I'm willing to spend for our special day, but I have to try to find a balance between what my budget wants and what my heart does! Any chance you would be willing to share?

Thanks again in advance!

Hi,

You're pictures are so AMAZING!! And your review was so detailed I felt like I was actually there with you! lol

You and your hubby looked so happy, I'm very thrilled your day went exactly the way you wanted it to!

I'm still doing my research on where I'd love to get married and so far I keep coming back to Island Bliss (St Thomas)! I don't want a quick and stand at the beach type affaire and I don't want random sunbathers in their speedos checking us out either, so I'm wondering if Janelle offers you a semi beach and villa option? Also, would it be rude of me to find out which package you chose? I have a general idea of how much I'm willing to spend for our special day, but I have to try to find a balance between what my budget wants and what my heart does! Any chance you would be willing to share?

Thanks again in advance!

Of course I will share whatever information I can with you! We did the ultimate cruise wedding package with 30 guests (paid for the extra two guest on the side). Her prices have since gone up. I know she will do villa weddings and if you want a beach that is less populated.... We were supposed to have it at brewers bay but switched it half way through.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on your wedding!!!! I am wanting to know if you didn't mind sharing your budget or break down of cost. I am still a year out or so, and I really haven't planned much. Your wedding is exactly what I am wanting to plan for mine except maybe having a reception at Mahogany Run. I feel like Villa Botanica. I appreciate any information you are able to provide or you can email me at director@kidazzlekidz.com.

Hey Everyone!

I have been so busy catching up with work the past few weeks that even going on CC was completely cut out of my life. I want to do a review on my wedding because I know that a lot of people are using the same wedding planner that I did, and Villa Botanica is getting to be a popular choice. I will start this review tonight or tomorrow morning but I wanted to just lay the basics right now...

We were on the Carnival Liberty doing the exotic eastern cruise (Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, and Grand Turk)

We Were married on April 1 on St. Thomas when we were in port from 8am to 6pm

Ceremony location: Magen's Bay

Reception Location: Villa Botanica

Wedding Planner: Janelle from Island Bliss weddings

Photographer: Elisha Orin

Can't wait to get all the nitty gritty details on here. We had a very fun, stressful, entertaining, and memorable day (with some surprises) and I wouldn't change it for anything! Well I wish I had a picture of my real cake (spoiler :D).

This is the cost for just what island bliss did for me. This did not include any of my crafts, trip expenses, tips, what I supplied for wedding like linens, name tags, ext. Just island bliss and upgrades I did through them. We had a refund for the photographer because we booked with Elisha ourselves and I brought my own flowers so that was a refund from the package as well....hope this helps.

I just realized how much we spent and I know a lot of people arnt spending that much but we don't regret it at all. And as stated before, I'm pretty sure she has upped her prices since.

Screenshot_2014-09-27-23-21-50.png?dl=0

Edited by Bo59rt

This is the cost for just what island bliss did for me. This did not include any of my crafts, trip expenses, tips, what I supplied for wedding like linens, name tags, ext. Just island bliss and upgrades I did through them. We had a refund for the photographer because we booked with Elisha ourselves and I brought my own flowers so that was a refund from the package as well....hope this helps.

I just realized how much we spent and I know a lot of people arnt spending that much but we don't regret it at all. And as stated before, I'm pretty sure she has upped her prices since.

Screenshot_2014-09-27-23-21-50.png?dl=0

Sorry for the delay.... here is what we paid for Island Bliss Wedding ceremony/reception only.....

ry%3D400

and now that I see that it is really hard to read.... i'm going to type it out which was what I was avoiding... and put up my like 5th post in a row (SORRY!)

Package

Ultimate cruise ship wedding package at 30 guests (+2 extra guests @ 150 each)...11295

Transportation

Additional transportation cost (ship to beach to villa to ship $30pp x 26)... 780

bridal party transportation from beach to ceremony.... 80

extra car cost from ship to courthouse to ceremony... 125

Upgrades

Magen's bay beach site fee.... 100

magen's bay beach pp fee ($4x32)... 128

food upgrade ($15 pp).... 480

Cake upgrade... 98

Cake stand upgrade... 25

2nd steel drum player for cocktail hour... 250

Arch for ceremony... 250

Refunds for packages

Photographer refund... 800

bouquet and boutonniere refund.... 85

Grand total for Island Bliss Weddings..... $12,726

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for sharing. That gives me an idea for budgeting.

and now that I see that it is really hard to read.... i'm going to type it out which was what I was avoiding... and put up my like 5th post in a row (SORRY!)

Package

Ultimate cruise ship wedding package at 30 guests (+2 extra guests @ 150 each)...11295

Transportation

Additional transportation cost (ship to beach to villa to ship $30pp x 26)... 780

bridal party transportation from beach to ceremony.... 80

extra car cost from ship to courthouse to ceremony... 125

Upgrades

Magen's bay beach site fee.... 100

magen's bay beach pp fee ($4x32)... 128

food upgrade ($15 pp).... 480

Cake upgrade... 98

Cake stand upgrade... 25

2nd steel drum player for cocktail hour... 250

Arch for ceremony... 250

Refunds for packages

Photographer refund... 800

bouquet and boutonniere refund.... 85

Grand total for Island Bliss Weddings..... $12,726

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

So I have a question, I'm contemplating the time of the ceremony.. What did you decide? I have to get my hair and makeup done before...right now I have it planned for 11:30. I know the ceremony will be about 20 mins and then photos and the linch.. What time do u need to be back on the ship? I want to make sure the I have enough time for everything before having to be back on the ship.

So I have a question, I'm contemplating the time of the ceremony.. What did you decide? I have to get my hair and makeup done before...right now I have it planned for 11:30. I know the ceremony will be about 20 mins and then photos and the linch.. What time do u need to be back on the ship? I want to make sure the I have enough time for everything before having to be back on the ship.

We were supposed to have our ceremony start at 11:30 but the bridesmaids lost track of time and it was pushed back to noon. We had a hour for pictures and the shortened reception (now to 3 1/2 hours because of the bridesmaids). We had to be back on the ship no later than 5:30pm. We left the reception a little before 4:30 and we were fine getting back on the ship.

You should have no problems with a timeline wedding wise. The only thing Is getting hair and makeup done. I had to be off the ship to go sign paperwork by 10:45am. My bridesmaid did my hair and makeup and we started a little after 6am. (I had a lot of intricate parts to my hair plus extensions put in it ...took a while) if your looking for the ship to do your hair, you might not be able to have someone come in early enough. You would have to plan your appt as soon as you get on the ship! And most likely someone will have to come in early to accommodate you.

Don't forget about the time it might take to get into your dress! I had a corset back that took at least 20 mins to get ready for car travel and another 5ish minute tighten up at the beach before I walked down the aisle.

That was much longer of an answer then what I thought it was going to be! Uhhh if I left anything out let me know...:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your fabulous detailed posts about your wedding! You managed to thrill the heart of this old, cynical heart with your fabulous photos and stories. The world needs more people like you and your husband.

I was on Lindquist/ Smith Bay Park beach on St Thomas yesterday and Island Bliss had a wedding. OMG! It was simply beautiful and so touching. The officiant was so impressive, because he didn't have notes and spoke as though he knew the couple personally as life long friends.

They used a different photographer, though, a man. I barely noticed him until after the ceremony when he was suggesting scenes for photo shoots. Hoping to find his photos online so I can see the finished product.

Can future brides copy their posts and also post in the St Thomas Port of Call section? That's the one I post on regularly so I'll be able to see them regularly. Love to see wedding stories especially when I'm having a bad day. Thanks so much, Bo!

Sorry for the few typos before..... by the time I saw them I couldn't edit them...and its capable not "cap bible"

onto the next part....

After my fiancé left the night before I brought over my dress to hang on my closet door. This became my inspiration to write the love note that was going to be delivered the morning of the wedding to my fiancé along with his wedding gift! A shiny Movado watch that I had been saving up for forever! (And bought on black Friday, months before the wedding with helped out a lot)

ry%3D480

The bridesmaids dresses were left in my room also so I could steam them if needed, (I snuck not one but TWO steamers onto the ship….. I was very surprised). So my bridesmaid across the hall came over and we had fun figuring out ways to take the “pre-wedding dress picture” in such a small room. Having our balcony divider open, killed that hanging spot so this is what we came up with.

ry%3D400

So we waited around for my other bridesmaid to make it over to start on my hair. She is my normal at home hair stylist which was perfect that she was also a lifelong friend. We started on the hair which took longer than we thought from the time at the trial, so it was a mad rush to get my make up on and me into my dress before 10:15am! I also had a bridesmaid do the gift exchange while I was getting my hair done, my fiancé got me a beautiful blue topaz and diamond necklace and earing set to wear for the wedding!

I was supposed to be outside at my car at 10:30 and I hate being late! So we rushed and my MOH was getting her hair done when my mother, a family friend, and I started walking off the ship. There was a lot of attention and I was in no mood to deal with it right then because I was so flustered with time. I smiled and said thank you but I know I wasn’t the kindest of brides that morning. Finally we are off the ship and a man walks up to me and I recognize him from many of Island Bliss wedding pictures, He is Janelle’s husband and the Officiate of our wedding, Stewart. He takes us in a SUV to the courthouse where I was to sign my paperwork and then to Magen’s Bay. Everything is going so well, we arrive at the beach I see the set up and I am flabbergasted by the beautiful place I am about to get married in. Janelle and her assistant did an amazing job of setting everything up!!

ry%3D400Photo by Elisha Orin

Janelle comes over and introduces herself and tells me about how everything else has been going this morning. It seems the other private SUV driver (picking up fiancé and his parents at 10:45) couldn’t find him, it took extra time but he is on his way to the courthouse now. The “safari” busses picking up all of the wedding guests hasn’t left the ship yet because we are 6 people short. She posed the question, “did she want me to have them leave and just leave the people behind at the ship? This is pushing the wedding back and cutting into the reception.” I asked who was it that was missing…..was my bridesmaids!!!! And my father who went looking for them! (Turns out only my sister's hair and mine were finished for the wedding, everyone else just sort of threw it together on the ride over! Love them for that!) I had them wait and finally got the call that they made it on the bus and were on their way over as well.

Well I am a nervous wreck by now and getting very impatient because I am a very punctual person, sitting in the SUV is killing me! Finally I see everyone getting off the bus! I get out of the SUV where no one can see me, my fiancé has been instructed to stare at the water so he can’t see me, and my mother tightens up the laces on my dress because I had them looser to be more comfortable sitting in the car (very glad I did this as it was very hard to sit at all for the rest of the day!) My father walks over and its time to get the show on the road!

ry%3D400

It was stunning!!!! Absolutely gorgeous! There were a lot of people and quite many speedos but it was perfect! Everyone later told me that we looked nervous up there during the ceremony because we were non stop laughing. Well that’s why we are good together, we make each other laugh, and this whole situation was a fodder of quick jokes and one liners.

We were in our own little world. Do we remember any of the words we recited to each other… no. Do we remember who was sitting where in the first row of seats….no, Do I even remember what the beach looked like that we were at…. No. but I remember the twinkle in Cody’s (my hubby) hazel eyes as we laughed at how long the reciting of vows was and how loud my heartbeat was in my ears when we first made eye contact when I walked towards him at the isle. It could have been just us or 100 people on the beach, what we did was perfect for US, no one else.

We were married on April Fool’s Day 2014, a perfect day for us because we are jokesters and live to make each other smile and laugh. We got to share that with 32 other amazing people, and everyone else on the beach! Oh and we got “Go pro-ed” by some random man, our whole ceremony. I’m still trying to look for it online, it’s a free videographer if I can find it!

Onto reception next……

So I was thinking about getting my fiancé a Movado as well. You said you got a great deal during Black Friday. Where did you happen to look to get it. Black Friday is around the corner and would love to get him one

Thank you so much for your fabulous detailed posts about your wedding! You managed to thrill the heart of this old, cynical heart with your fabulous photos and stories. The world needs more people like you and your husband.

I was on Lindquist/ Smith Bay Park beach on St Thomas yesterday and Island Bliss had a wedding. OMG! It was simply beautiful and so touching. The officiant was so impressive, because he didn't have notes and spoke as though he knew the couple personally as life long friends.

They used a different photographer, though, a man. I barely noticed him until after the ceremony when he was suggesting scenes for photo shoots. Hoping to find his photos online so I can see the finished product.

Can future brides copy their posts and also post in the St Thomas Port of Call section? That's the one I post on regularly so I'll be able to see them regularly. Love to see wedding stories especially when I'm having a bad day. Thanks so much, Bo!

Unfortunately the people who man the boards would likely move any wedding posts elsewhere over here.

Thank you for your kind words! I had a blast with the wedding and enjoy reading over this myself sometimes!

Stewart was our officiant (who is also the main wedding planner's husband) and he was amazing. He picked me up from the ship and asked a few questions about DH and I and said he was going to grill DH for more information. He included many small details like our unusual first date, Wawa (have to be from mid-Atlantic to get that) and our dog. He did so much with what little information he had. Every bride that has had him raves about him!

The only way i can think of including this in the St. Thomas board would be to create a post with links of many of the weddings that happened on island. Maybe if this was done a moderator of the St. Thomas board could create it into a sticky so it was accessible. Maybe a future project for someone!

So I was thinking about getting my fiancé a Movado as well. You said you got a great deal during Black Friday. Where did you happen to look to get it. Black Friday is around the corner and would love to get him one

We have a Movado outlet within a 45 min drive from us. I went up there the weekend of black Friday on a whim and saw a great deal that i couldn't pass up. I was also looking at Sam's Club for a while but they only carried a couple of watches and once they sold one the next one was a different style. So the price and style never lined up when i was ready to buy.

Good Luck hunting!

It must have been Stewart who officiated the wedding I saw. He is a master! I loved how he stood to the side so we could always see the couple and not his back. He really nails those details.

You said you got "upgraded" photo package. How does it differ from basic package? Did you choose Magens or did the planner choose that beach for you? The wedding I witnessed was at a different beach.

It must have been Stewart who officiated the wedding I saw. He is a master! I loved how he stood to the side so we could always see the couple and not his back. He really nails those details.

You said you got "upgraded" photo package. How does it differ from basic package? Did you choose Magens or did the planner choose that beach for you? The wedding I witnessed was at a different beach.

What was included with our package was 2 hours of an amateur photographer from a photography group on the island. So we researched photographers and ended up choosing Elisha Orin. We had her for 3 hours the day of the wedding and two hours a week later for a trash the dress shoot.

When we booked the package we wanted to get married on a beach (which was a cost upgrade). We orginally were supposed to get married on Brewer's Bay beach which is closer to the Villa. Half way through planning Janelle contacted us and reccomended we switched our beach option due to recent "unpleasent" local activity on Brewer's Bay.

So we had to pay the Magen's Bay beach fee and even more for extra transportation. Janelle works with whatever the bride wants. I could have picked any beach and she would have worked it out for us with our time frame. It would just impact our reception length and our wallets ;) Magen's Bay was the next closest beach to Villa Botanica then brewer's bay according to her.

• 3 months later...

Congrats! And thanks for sharing your special day. Your review was amazing and I love all of the gorgeous photos! I have to say... the photo in the big tree turned out fantastic.

Also thanks for the antics... with the way my luck runs I will be missing my cake or who knows maybe my wedding dress! Okay just kidding about the dress, I won't let that baby out of my sight! But I hate coconut also and I will remember your good attitude when you had to get it smashed in your face! I'm glad it didn't ruin your big day and I hope that I can handle any mishaps with as much grace as you.

Congrats! And thanks for sharing your special day. Your review was amazing and I love all of the gorgeous photos! I have to say... the photo in the big tree turned out fantastic.

Also thanks for the antics... with the way my luck runs I will be missing my cake or who knows maybe my wedding dress! Okay just kidding about the dress, I won't let that baby out of my sight! But I hate coconut also and I will remember your good attitude when you had to get it smashed in your face! I'm glad it didn't ruin your big day and I hope that I can handle any mishaps with as much grace as you.

Thank you! I can'e believe it has almost been a year!!! You wedding will be awesome and every little thing will make it all more special. Every wedding has hiccups! and believe me if you ask my mother if i was graceful that morning before the wedding she will laugh at you!

Once everything actually started and all the planning came together nothing will be more relaxing then looking at the person who is standing in front of you.

Enjoy the stressful planning and anticipation..... it's all worth it!

• 3 weeks later...
Beautiful!! Love it all! Your dress is gorgeous too!! I have a corset dress myself, and that’s a great tip about loosening it till the final moment…

Thank you!! Sitting was a B***h after it was tightened. I couldnt imagine the car ride to the court house or waiting sitting in the car with the dress tightened. And by some small miracle i didnt have to go to the bathroom all day. blaming that on the adrenaline. Good luck with your dress! Im sure everything is going to be amazing!