May Not Do Excursions...Are There Shops At The Pier?

cjdixon4

I will be on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas on 5/18, with Roatan as a port stop. Not quite certain whether my crew will be booking any excursions yet, BUT if we decide not to...what does the port area look like? Do they have decent shops at their terminal if one wants to purchase a few trinkets or maybe just meet/chat with a few locals? I've never been to the Honduras and I would like to disembark the ship even if we don't do any excursions. Thanks for any insight!

You will dock in Coxen Hole. Yes there are some shops and restaurants there. Not a big area so won't take long at all to go through. There is a flea market across the street as well. I love Roatan. Any reason you don't want to take a tour of the island? It is so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will dock in Coxen Hole. Yes there are some shops and restaurants there. Not a big area so won't take long at all to go through. There is a flea market across the street as well. I love Roatan. Any reason you don't want to take a tour of the island? It is so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks MichelleinOC-

My family and I haven't officially said "NO" to a Roatan tour. We simply haven't decided yet WHAT we want to do when we get there. I wanted to know if there's something interesting right at the port, just in case. Nice to know that I can buy some trinkets right at the port if I want!

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to get off the ship and book tours at the port. Maybe something to West Bay with Beach, Chairs, and Snorkeling - Plus an Island Tour and maybe a stop at Gumbalimba Park?

Is it possible to get off the ship and book tours at the port. Maybe something to West Bay with Beach, Chairs, and Snorkeling - Plus an Island Tour and maybe a stop at Gumbalimba Park?

Yes, they sell tours right off the ship. You can also walk out to the street and there are cabs waiting to take you to any area of the island.

When you walk between the buildings that house the shops, there are probably a dozen kiosks there selling tours. You will also see taxis inside the gates and outside.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of problems using these tour operators not affiliated with the cruise lines? Nothing RCCL is offering appeals to us, thought of trying an independent, but I'm concerned about missing the cutoff time or being ripped off.

• 2 weeks later...

In 25 years of cruising, we've never had an issue with doing an excursion on our own (maybe we are just lucky). As someone mentioned, there are numerous tour operators set up as you leave the cruise ship area in Roatan. We've done several different tours that way and have also just hired a taxi to drive us around. If you go the taxi route and don't speak spanish, make sure that you get an english speaking driver....

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone heard of problems using these tour operators not affiliated with the cruise lines? Nothing RCCL is offering appeals to us, thought of trying an independent, but I'm concerned about missing the cutoff time or being ripped off.

As long as you do your research (I use Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor) you should be fine. I go independent 99% of the time because it is usually cheaper and will provide a better experience (smaller groups and less wait time).

• 3 weeks later...