Blue hole alone

crpbmp2011

Is it possible to do blue hole alone without a tour guide or an excursion?

We are sailing on RC so we will port at Falmouth. I am wondering the best way to get to enjoy the blue hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. We did the blue hole Oct 2013 using Courtney taylor tours. We were docked in Falmouth and the drive to the hole is an hour at least. The hole is really off the beaten path and finding it on your own would be really tough. I'm talking about 45 minutes through town and then another 15-20 going up some really steep and narrow roads. I dont recall seeing any signs along the way either, so I'm gonna say it's a local thing. We used the Taylor tours and had them take us there. They were awesome. private bus with AC and we stopped twice at grocery stores for beer along the way. As far as the hole itself goes, it's beautiful and quite an experience. This is privately owned and you will probably have to use one of the kids who live onsite to show you around the place. They are extremely nice and without them you would miss a lot.

good luck

-DK

Is this something we could take our small kids too?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes and no. There is a basin towards the end of the stream that i think is somewhat calm. There is a rope swing there too. I didnt have time to get to that part of the place but could see it. I did however make it all the way to the top as far as we could go. I can tell you that the area that you first see that has the large round rock waterfall is pretty hard to swim in. the current is strong there and I'm a very good swimmer. Once you jump in, you are immediately pushed away from the fall and end up off to the side. It's swimming back up to the front to get out that was the challenge. Not impossible, but tough. I think it all really depends on the age and swimming skills of the children. I have an 11 y/o daughter and 14 y/o son. Both are very comfortable in the water. i would bring them but at the same time stay very close due to the current of the main fall. No matter if you do the main fall, rope swing area or walk up towards the top of the fall, it is 100% beautiful and not to be missed. Kids that work there are very kind. remember to tip!

-DK

How is the walk to the hole from where you park? My 74 y.o. Mother is on the cruise with us and she would like to see this too if she can manage the walk....she gets around ok but rough terrain or inclines would be difficult for her thanks!

We are sailing on RC so we will port at Falmouth. I am wondering the best way to get to enjoy the blue hole?

We hired a private taxi from Falmouth, and also visited Dunn's river falls in the same trip.

Well worth the research and money, and its a private tour.

We used Marvyn's Paradise Tours

How is the walk to the hole from where you park? My 74 y.o. Mother is on the cruise with us and she would like to see this too if she can manage the walk....she gets around ok but rough terrain or inclines would be difficult for her thanks!

It's short, and on an incline, but not rough.

However, once you are at the site by the water, you can't get to the water easily as you are about 20 to 30 feet above the water. The walkway to get to the water is rough and very steep in some places. She could watch from the top without any problems, that's a large flat area.

As luck would have it, I actually took a picture of the walk from the parking lot to blue hole.

http://imgur-dot.com/GTfUQsL.jpg

Copy the link and remote -dot

The best way to the Blue Hole is with a local tour guide.

We used Ricardo at Liberty Tours Jamaica.

It took us 1 hour 20 minutes to navigate us to the falls which is quite an experience.

Our guide at the falls Julian was amazing. Our group did the cliff jumping

rope swing while some relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

And most importantly we made it back with ample time before the ship departed.

I would agree that it is best to go with a local tour guide. There are good guides that charge $50 a person for the day to go to Blue Hole. We used Phil Lafayette and really enjoyed the day. We swam at a small beach for about an hour and enjoyed eating the jerk chicken/pork after we had worked up our appetite from our swimming at the Blue Hole. Jamaicaphil.com provided a complete fun day that we will always remember.

Is it possible to do Dunn's, Blue HOle, and the inner tube rafting in the same day? I found a tour with Peat Taylor that does all 3... Will we be rushed?

We just did that tour last month. We got off the ship within 20 minutes of docking, and were whisked into a sedan with one other couple. He got us to Dunns before the crowds, which was awesome. We had about 90 mins at Dunns, about 45 at blue hole, and not sure how long at the river tubing, but it all depends on the speed of the river, so not really a choice for how long you spend there. We got scotches jerk chicken "to go" in the car, and were back about one and a half hours before the ship left. Blue hole felt a little rushed, but I loved all three places, so I'm glad we got to them all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! We just got off the Breeze. We used Courtney Taylor for our excursions in Jamaica and could not be anymore pleased with our trips to the Blue Hole, river rafting and lunch at Scotchies. We were quite a mixed party with two 60 year old one with rods in the back, a 35 year old Down syndrome son ,daughter and son in law 30 somethings and their 2 and four year old boys, so we didn't know what to expect. We had crazy Dean as our guide and he made sure that we got the best of all guides at each stop. They took extra care of the kids and said that they were the youngest to ever do the Blue Hole. Yes both boys took the leap with a guide and loved it. They carried them both up the side of the waterfall and still were able to assist us up the hill and encouraged all of us to jump, which we did and it was quite the rush. after 4 jumps we were ready to move on to our river tubing. We had 2 guides ( Orlando and George ) who kept us safely away from the rocks and banks and sang to us all the way. After all of this activity we were off to Scotchies, a stop not to be missed great Jerk,peas, rice and festivals and some Red Stripes. We invited Dean to eat with us and enjoyed his company and conversation. So if your looking for a company that goes above and beyond look no further than Courtney Taylor. He's the bomb!!!:D

I contacted Courtney Taylor and since there are only 2 of us it was going to be $250 I am sorry it's not worth it to me for that price... Looking for something more reasonable.