Comparing the Cruise to WDW resorts

I have a question that I don't recall reading about on these or other WDW forums.....

Back in December, I posted how much I was missing the Fantasy after our 7-day cruise. To help with my "ship-sickness" :p , I booked 5 nights at Pop for this month. I got a great room-only deal at the time.

Here's the rub--The GTY rates are now available for various May cruises on the Dream and I am now considering this (1 WDW/4 Dream). I'm trying to decide if that would be money better spent, and obviously lessen my missing the ship (until our next cruise in Nov. 2014).

I have a couple of questions:

1. I've only stayed Deluxe at AKL, moderate at CBR and most of the values. Would you consider verandah accommodations and amenities on the ships (non-concierge) to be comparable to value, moderate or deluxe resorts at WDW? (I'm assuming a lot of us DCL fans are also overall Disney fans too.)

2. This would be my first Solo vacation anywhere :eek:, which I am finding a bit daunting for some reason. I've read the various solo forums, but wondered if you think a solo trip would be "easier" and/or more enjoyable at WDW or DCL?

I know this is all very subjective, but I've been debating about all of this and thought I would just put it out here, since usually the responses I read are very helpful.:)

Edited by Lovedisneycruise

It isn't really fair to try to compare a specific category on DCL to a hotel level at WDW for several reasons. First, the cruise is the same for all of us, regardless of whether we have a balcony on the ship or an inside cabin. In fact, there are some fun advantages to the inside cabin (virtual porthole). The amenities of the cabin itself are not significantly different, especially if you are cruising solo. The split bathroom is nice, but if there is only one of you, it is irrelevant.

So, the difference is virtual porthole, window, or balcony. The cost may double as you move up to a balcony, but you'll still have the same entertainment, same food, etc. Basically, you have to determine whether you'd enjoy the fresh air on your balcony enough to make it worth not going to a "public" space for that air--and there are plenty of such spaces.

At WDW, the "amenities" are different as you move from a value to a deluxe resort. Specifically, the toiletries are different, the quality of the toilet paper is different. The value resorts have a hanging rod, but not a real closet with doors. The room sizes are slightly different. If you were lucky enough to hit on free dining, the included dining plans are different. The facilities at the resorts are different in terms of quality of pools, values not having sit down restaurants, community hall, etc.

Thus, I don't see equating level of cabin with level of hotel room. Bottom line, pick a room where you will be happy! And be sure you understand the cost of cruising solo! With the *GT rates, they do typically reduce the single supplement a bit.

The INSIDE square footage on the ship (not counting the balcony) is less than the size of a value room at WDW, but the "stuff" in the room is nicer. Does that make sense? And personally, I prefer solo on the ship. And I've done it both places.

Edited by moki'smommy

I have to agree that you can't compare a DCL cabin to a resort hotel. They are very different! We have only stayed at Mods at WDW and there is just no way to compare.

You get very nice H20 toiletries onboard, which I have read are similar to those at the Grand Floridian resort. I certainly like them! You can't go wrong with a DCL cruise in my opinion. And we also love the parks, having just returned from Disneyland.

I haven't done a solo trip, so can't make any recommendations there. Whatever you decide, have a great time!

Edited by Cruisin' Along

The smallest balcony category rooms on the ship (Cats 5&6) are probably going to compare the most with a nicer value resort room....possibly a small moderate...as far as space goes. They're very narrow, but the balcony is a major plus to me. I like to read outside, especially at night, and hear the ocean, sipping a drink (soda, water or tea) in my nightgown and then just wander in to bed. I couldn't do this in the public areas. Plus, going solo, it feels more comfortable to be on my own balcony, rather than sitting out on deck.

The amenities are comparable to a value hotel just about anywhere. Really nothing special about them at all, and although the decor is somewhat "Disney" and nautical, there's nothing too terribly special about the standard staterooms onboard.

As far as going solo to WDW.....I love it. I remember the first time my husband and I went without the kids...HEAVEN! No heads to count! And then when I've gone by myself, it's even better. I can stop when I want to, eat when I want to, dodge the crowds easier...and not have to make sure that whoever might have been with me is happy and/or right there and I didn't lose them.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I was quite clear in what I was asking about comparison, because it's somewhat confusing even to me.:o

I do appreciate your thoughts though.....I think I was asking more "do you feel like an overall DCL vacation is more comparable to staying value--moderate--or deluxe at WDW?" I didn't specifically mean toiletries, etc. I'm sorry I can't be more clear; it's just something I've been wondering.

And I appreciate reading that two of the posters who responded have "gone solo". It's a big step for me for several reasons, and I'm not sure if I'd do better starting with DCL or WDW.

It isn't really fair to try to compare a specific category on DCL to a hotel level at WDW for several reasons. First' date=' the cruise is the same for all of us, regardless of whether we have a balcony on the ship or an inside cabin. In fact, there are some fun advantages to the inside cabin (virtual porthole). The amenities of the cabin itself are not significantly different, especially if you are cruising solo. The split bathroom is nice, but if there is only one of you, it is irrelevant.

So, the difference is virtual porthole, window, or balcony. The cost may double as you move up to a balcony, but you'll still have the same entertainment, same food, etc. Basically, you have to determine whether you'd enjoy the fresh air on your balcony enough to make it worth not going to a "public" space for that air--and there are plenty of such spaces.

At WDW, the "amenities" are different as you move from a value to a deluxe resort. Specifically, the toiletries are different, the quality of the toilet paper is different. The value resorts have a hanging rod, but not a real closet with doors. The room sizes are slightly different. If you were lucky enough to hit on free dining, the included dining plans are different. The facilities at the resorts are different in terms of quality of pools, values not having sit down restaurants, community hall, etc.

Thus, I don't see equating level of cabin with level of hotel room. Bottom line, pick a room where you will be happy! And be sure you understand the cost of cruising solo! With the *GT rates, they do typically reduce the single supplement a bit.

The INSIDE square footage on the ship (not counting the balcony) is less than the size of a value room at WDW, but the "stuff" in the room is nicer. Does that make sense? And personally,[b'] I prefer solo on the ship. And I've done it both places.[/b]

MM, if you see this, I would appreciate if you could provide further thoughts on why you preferred solo on the ship, since you've done both.

This is going to sound very odd for me....but I was actually a little lonely in the parks. It might have been that all my previous references in the parks were with my daughter, but then..so were the trips on the ship. And I'm normally an "on my own" sort of person. I had no issues when she went to college or to Japan--missed her, but I was a fully functioning person, not sitting around moping.

It was nice at WDW to be able to do exactly what I wanted, but it just felt sort of empty. It was more that it just needed to be shared, maybe.

On the ship, I loved sitting on deck 9 and reading...or hitting the pool or whatever. And there were always plenty of people to talk with if I wanted to. At dinner, I was at a table of singles. And of course we had a super server. I guess I was just more comfortable on the ship alone.

One thing to consider--either way, Disney feels to us like "coming home." It's almost like "nothing bad will happen at Disney, or at least they'll manage to somehow take care of it." I know that stuff happens anywhere, but most of the time, Disney finds a way to take care of a guest. For example, we were there once when the ship departure was being delayed by a hurricane. Obviously, I was scheduled to check out of my WDW resort and go to the ship, so found myself at the front desk of the resort trying to get a place to "camp out" for the next 2 days. The resort we were at was totally full. What I didn't learn till later was that Disney had moved everyone from the Ft. Wilderness campground to OKW and had moved as many CMs as they could into the value resorts (so they'd be on property to get things up and running). What I was experiencing was needing a room, being told there were none available (because of the above), and really not wanting to shell out the giant bucks for some fancy suite or whatever. The CM at the desk called some booking number for me, and I was talking to them. It took a long time, and at one point when I was on hold again, I suggested to the CM that she didn't have to just stand there and wait for me to free up her phone if there were things she needed to do--her response was that she wasn't going to "leave" me until my daughter and I had a place to stay during the storm. I really appreciated the attitude. We did ultimately get a room. 2 nights cost me as much as the previous 5 nights, but we did have a room. I deeply appreciated her concern--while I was on hold, she was doing all sorts of things on the computer and on another phone working to get us a place. And thru it all, I KNEW they were going to find us a place--it was just a matter of where.

I find the amenities and appearance/contents of the cabins on the ship to be a notch above a value resort, but smaller in size. However, they are no where near as nice as a deluxe resort. I guess you can toss that around however you want. The cabins are small, even though they are much larger than cabins on some other lines and ships of the late 1990s. I'm told that other lines have enlarged their cabins since the Magic debuted.

Edited by moki'smommy

This is going to sound very odd for me....but I was actually a little lonely in the parks. It might have been that all my previous references in the parks were with my daughter' date=' but then..so were the trips on the ship. And I'm normally an "on my own" sort of person. I had no issues when she went to college or to Japan--missed her, but I was a fully functioning person, not sitting around moping.

It was nice at WDW to be able to do exactly what I wanted, but it just felt sort of empty. It was more that it just needed to be shared, maybe.

On the ship, I loved sitting on deck 9 and reading...or hitting the pool or whatever. And there were always plenty of people to talk with if I wanted to. At dinner, I was at a table of singles. And of course we had a super server. I guess I was just more comfortable on the ship alone.

One thing to consider--either way, Disney feels to us like "coming home." It's almost like "nothing bad will happen at Disney, or at least they'll manage to somehow take care of it." I know that stuff happens anywhere, but most of the time, Disney finds a way to take care of a guest. For example, we were there once when the ship departure was being delayed by a hurricane. Obviously, I was scheduled to check out of my WDW resort and go to the ship, so found myself at the front desk of the resort trying to get a place to "camp out" for the next 2 days. The resort we were at was totally full. What I didn't learn till later was that Disney had moved everyone from the Ft. Wilderness campground to OKW and had moved as many CMs as they could into the value resorts (so they'd be on property to get things up and running). What I was experiencing was needing a room, being told there were none available (because of the above), and really not wanting to shell out the giant bucks for some fancy suite or whatever. The CM at the desk called some booking number for me, and I was talking to them. It took a long time, and at one point when I was on hold again, I suggested to the CM that she didn't have to just stand there and wait for me to free up her phone if there were things she needed to do--her response was that she wasn't going to "leave" me until my daughter and I had a place to stay during the storm. I really appreciated the attitude. We did ultimately get a room. 2 nights cost me as much as the previous 5 nights, but we did have a room. I deeply appreciated her concern--while I was on hold, she was doing all sorts of things on the computer and on another phone working to get us a place. And thru it all, I KNEW they were going to find us a place--it was just a matter of where.

I find the amenities and appearance/contents of the cabins on the ship to be a notch above a value resort, but smaller in size. However, they are no where near as nice as a deluxe resort. I guess you can toss that around however you want. The cabins are small, even though they are much larger than cabins on some other lines and ships of the late 1990s. I'm told that other lines have enlarged their cabins since the Magic debuted.[/quote']

Thanks so much for these details. What you describe in the beginning is ME exactly. All my WDW trips and 2 cruises have been with my daughter, but she moved out of state last year after graduating and can't miss work at this time. I, too, am "fully functioning" as you say and fine on my own, but am trying to determine which place (DCL or WDW) I would have less chance of feeling lonely, especially since I've never vacationed alone. My daughter is greatly encouraging this step, btw!

I also feel like Disney is "coming home" to me, and am glad to read you were so well taken care of. I also find it interesting that you were put with a table of singles, as I had wondered about this also (assuming of course, I'd be the only solo person on the ship!)

Thank you again for your reply.

I'm not sure about sizes and what not but I do know that 3 nights at the Polynesian w park passes is more expensive then 4 nights on the dream in a balcony.

Still worth every penny.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I was quite clear in what I was asking about comparison, because it's somewhat confusing even to me.:o

I do appreciate your thoughts though.....I think I was asking more "do you feel like an overall DCL vacation is more comparable to staying value--moderate--or deluxe at WDW?" I didn't specifically mean toiletries, etc. I'm sorry I can't be more clear; it's just something I've been wondering.

And I appreciate reading that two of the posters who responded have "gone solo". It's a big step for me for several reasons, and I'm not sure if I'd do better starting with DCL or WDW.

I would have to say Deluxe with the uber deluxe dining plan would be most comparable to the cruise. But even then, the cruise might be a step above. As for parks before or after? Always before. We have done both ways, and going from the bliss off the cruise to the hustle of the parks is very jarring! Much more relaxing to do parks first then chill on the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think the overall cruise experience (not the staterooms) is equal to a deluxe resort stay. Except for the suites on DCL, the rooms are barely above budget.

So if your room is for sleeping or relaxing on the balcony only, then added to the cruise experience, the cruise is much better than even staying concierge level at the Poly or Beach Club, for example.

Personally, unless you have to meet an early flight going home, I prefer WDW first, then total R & R on the cruise.

If you have to catch an early flight home though, it's easier to cruise first, head to WDW to spend the day and then leave for the airport early the next morning. Too much stress involved, worrying about getting off the ship in time for an early flight.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by MizDaisy

I have cruised solo, though it was not on Disney. Traveling solo I feel much more comfortable on a cruise. I did get a few are you alone questions.

Last time we were at WDW was May 2013 and the number of school groups that were staying on site was ridiculous. A lot of unaccompanied minors were all over the parks and at the value resort where we were staying.

We then boarded the Disney Dream and while there were a lot of children, there were adults only areas where you could get away from them. I loved the adults only pool and hot tubs. Disney did a good job of keeping the under 17 crowd out as well. There are adult only activities. Martini tasting!

My vote is for the cruise. Room service is included in your fare. My solo cruise I had room service everyday for breakfast and it was wonderful!

I have never traveled solo, unless it was a business trip so I can't help you there, but the previous posters make a lot of sense and seem to know what they are talking about. With that said, as far as service, and accomodations I would compare a standard cabin with the value resorts, deluxe family stateroom with a moderate and suites with a deluxe - IMO.

However, for me, I just love DCL and always have the best time and I couldn't imagine going without a stop at my all time favorite island - Castaway Cay. But the best vacation that I have ever had (compared to all types of vacations) has been WDW. Been there before and after having children and always an awsome time which we enjoy even better then the cruises. I would imagine though that I would be lonely at WDW without the family. On a cruise I would think you have more opportunities to meet other solo travelers, be seated with others at dinner and just enjoy quiet nooks to relaxe. Whichever you pick, have a wonderful time!

I would have to say Deluxe with the uber deluxe dining plan would be most comparable to the cruise. But even then, the cruise might be a step above. As for parks before or after? Always before. We have done both ways, and going from the bliss off the cruise to the hustle of the parks is very jarring! Much more relaxing to do parks first then chill on the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for this! I am hoping this is the case, since the Pop trip would be bargain basement prices, but the cruise if I book, even at the GTY price, is still $$ for a solo traveler. I do plan on WDW a day before if I go; I agree that WDW is not as relaxing as a cruise, which is probably what started me thinking about this in the first place.

I think the overall cruise experience (not the staterooms) is equal to a deluxe resort stay. Except for the suites on DCL, the rooms are barely above budget.

So if your room is for sleeping or relaxing on the balcony only, then added to the cruise experience, the cruise is much better than even staying concierge level at the Poly or Beach Club, for example.

Personally, unless you have to meet an early flight going home, I prefer WDW first, then total R & R on the cruise.

If you have to catch an early flight home though, it's easier to cruise first, head to WDW to spend the day and then leave for the airport early the next morning. Too much stress involved, worrying about getting off the ship in time for an early flight.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

MizDaisy, thanks for your replies! This is how I was viewing it overall, too, but wanted others' thoughts since I've only done deluxe once at AKL.

I only have one other day planned for this trip, so I would definitely do WDW the night before. I wouldn't be getting to the resort until about 5:00 (with my current flights), so will probably just hit Downtown Disney, since it's been years since I've been there.

I have cruised solo, though it was not on Disney. Traveling solo I feel much more comfortable on a cruise. I did get a few are you alone questions.

Last time we were at WDW was May 2013 and the number of school groups that were staying on site was ridiculous. A lot of unaccompanied minors were all over the parks and at the value resort where we were staying.

We then boarded the Disney Dream and while there were a lot of children, there were adults only areas where you could get away from them. I loved the adults only pool and hot tubs. Disney did a good job of keeping the under 17 crowd out as well. There are adult only activities. Martini tasting!

My vote is for the cruise. Room service is included in your fare. My solo cruise I had room service everyday for breakfast and it was wonderful!

Matondo, thanks for your thoughts re solo cruising. I am thinking I would be more comfortable solo on the cruise as opposed to WDW also. Although I probably wouldn't do the room service breakfast, as I just LOVE their breakfast buffet, and I tend to eat more that time of day!:p

I have never traveled solo, unless it was a business trip so I can't help you there, but the previous posters make a lot of sense and seem to know what they are talking about. With that said, as far as service, and accomodations I would compare a standard cabin with the value resorts, deluxe family stateroom with a moderate and suites with a deluxe - IMO.

However, for me, I just love DCL and always have the best time and I couldn't imagine going without a stop at my all time favorite island - Castaway Cay. But the best vacation that I have ever had (compared to all types of vacations) has been WDW. Been there before and after having children and always an awsome time which we enjoy even better then the cruises. I would imagine though that I would be lonely at WDW without the family. On a cruise I would think you have more opportunities to meet other solo travelers, be seated with others at dinner and just enjoy quiet nooks to relaxe. Whichever you pick, have a wonderful time!

Thanks Irene! I think as far as relaxation (which I really need), the cruise would provide more. I LOVE Castaway Cay and would actually walk around and explore this time, since usually my daughter just heads for the beach and stays put.

Thank you everyone for your opinions - I am trying to make a final decision this weekend!:)