things to do in Costa Maya

Capt Jack Sparrow

Arrrr, matee, I hear tell the beaches are entic ing and booty abounds. Seriously, if you take some time and search the boards, I think I've seen a couple of links talking about how nice Costa Maya is.

My daughter and son-in-law are supposed to be going to Key West but I have read otherwise through Cruise Critic that the pier in Key West is closed and that the Glory will be going to Costa Maya, so I'm searching for stuff also.

Actually, I didn't think much of "Costa Maya" which is really just the cruise line built facilities where the ships dock. It is basically just a bunch of the usual "duty free" shops with the same assortment of diamonds, gold, etc that all the other ports offer. There is a large salt water pool, bar, restaurants, folk dancing, tour booths.

In my opinion, the better part of the stop is in Mahahual (pronounced Ma-ha-wall). There is a nice long sandy beach with lots of chairs and shade. Horses to rent, scuba and snorkeling trips, jet skis, banana boat rides, and massages all are available. Prices are also lower there than at the ships dock.

<font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>

21, March 2004

<font color="FF6600">

Anyone want to go diving?</font>

So when is the next cruise?

I was on the Grand Princess the week after you. I really enjoyed the shopping and much better prices. I'v been to Coz and GC many times and I thing CostaMaya is a nicer shopping area. I really am not a shopper while I cruise, but this port was nice.I enjoyed the underwater activities of the other ports and shopped here.

IMO, the shopping in Costa Maya is not nealy as good as Cozumel, but the open-air atmosphere with a variety of native Mexican items was still very interesting.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;01;08;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

In Planning Stages

Hey MJL, we did'nt get to meet at the m&m party.What did you do in ports?Grand Cayman was fabulous,and the best weather day of the three.Also really enjoyed Coz,though I have to say Costa Maya was a letdown after the other two stops.I'm sure given time CM will become much more appealing.Had a great time,we may have even bumped in to one another!

Take care,

Rich

Rich, I wish I would have made it to the M&M party. We had spent a blustery morning at the pool and we just could not get presentable icon_confused.gif in time. I really regret not mingling and getting to meet more people on board. Of course, I also regret not winning the bingo jackpot, but I guess I'm not the only one. We did however win the top prize for the Liar's Club, four almost leather passport and document wallets.

Grand Cayman was great. My plan was to rent a jeep. However, I forgot to take my license with me to Avis. What a bonehead mistake! Avis was very accomadating. They took us to a Seven Mile beach access point close to the Westin. What a great beach!

In Cozumel, we strolled around San Miguel for about 2 hours then headed to Chankanaab. We snorkeled and our two kids swam with the dolphins.

Costa Maya was not bad, but pales by comparison to the other ports. We snorkeled and then enjoyed a beverage or two beachside before doing some shopping pier-side.

All-in-all a nice cruise. Especially since the return days at sea were much more smooth than south-bound.

Mike

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;01;08;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

In Planning Stages

• 2 weeks later...

Archived