Allure B2B **Double** Trip Review 5/4/14 - 5/18/14 (lots o' pics)!!!

Thanks for the info on the Cigars under the stars thing, guys. I might try to pickup some cubans in Nassau and would like to enjoy them on the ship.

You're welcome. If you go hunting for Cubans, you may want to try to find a reputable shop before you sail. Counterfeits are pretty common unless you know where to shop.

Really loving your review - you are really whetting our appetite for our Transatlantic cruise on Allure next year - we will have 10 sea days in all to make the most of all the facilities offered

Really loving your review - you are really whetting our appetite for our Transatlantic cruise on Allure next year - we will have 10 sea days in all to make the most of all the facilities offered

I'm really happy you're enjoying it. With 10 sea days, I suppose if you set an early alarm and stay up late, you'll have a fighting chance to see everything on board.;)

Compass5_zps6965f959.pngCompass6_zps2c23e05e.png

Beinvenidos a Cozumel!!!

Cozumel1_zps4f26ea0b.png

Cozumel2_zpsb651fd33.png

Dos cervesas (or margaritas), por favor. Donde esta los banos? La quenta, por favor (not "el checke"). Si. No. Gracias. And that's the end of my spanish despite a few years of it in high school.

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports. So, to celebrate, we went “all out” for breakfast in the Windjammer. I’m not much of a big breakfast person as you can see. It was all good though.

Breakfast_zpsddbb7dfb.png

My "all out" breakfast. Also, how to fit into your jeans at the end of the cruise.

SunsetBeach_zpsa3f76bfc.png

SandDollarSports_zpsc938e1b8.png

Our first stop was snorkeling. While it isn’t the best Cozumel has to offer, there is some great snorkeling (and diving) at Sunset Beach just a few hundred yards from the pier. It was $15 each for the gear and $2 for a locker. They built some artificial reefs to attract the fish, but it was still a great experience. At one point, the fish decided we were part of the school and were swimming all around us. It was awesome.

Coronas_zps94eb12e8.png

A few Corona Lights to celebrate a great morning.

SunsetBeach2_zps2ef13db4.png

This gives you an idea of how close it is to the ship.

Allure2_zps78845a0d.png

Another gratuitous shot of Lady A, for those of you who like to see a little ship. I know I could stand to see a little more...

Panchos3_zps112ccfcf.png

We headed back to the ship to change into dry clothes and back into town for lunch. I wanted to try something different and our cab driver suggested Pancho’s a few blocks north of the Zocalo right next to Diamonds International. A really nice place inside.

Panchos2_zpsa589df21.png

Panchos1_zps6c54cf07.png

Here's their lunch menu:

PanchosMenu_zps976eb39c.pngPanchosMenu1_zps3c4d0fa3.png

PanchosMenu2_zps755dbb95.pngPanchosMenu3_zps6ca9fcbd.png

Margarita_zps374ac94e.pngChipsandGuac_zps01a5cf46.png

Of course, margaritas were in order. These were not as good as others I’ve had at say La Mission (another restaurant in Cozumel), but they were quite tasty, huge, and very strong. Some chips, salsa, and guacamole were a great accompaniment. The mild salsa was more like pico de gallo. Our server also brought the hot salsa, which is best described as habanero juice. Fantastic, it you like super-spicy food (like me). The guacamole was simple, fresh, and delicious.

FishTacos_zpsbfb7c04b.png

Burrito_zpsbae14ca3.png

We did Mahi-mahi fish tacos and the Sonoran burrito. Both were spectacular. The fish was very fresh, flaky, and moist and came with a spicy chipotle sauce which was a nice contract to the typical baja-style sauce fish tacos typically come with. The burrito was filled will super-tender beef (often called barbacoa).

CozumelSights1_zps9b5133c6.png

CozumelSights2_zps0ce0a147.png

After lunch, we took in the sights of down town Cozumel. It is a very pretty town.

SenorFrogs_zpsbbe7c648.png

And ended up at the ½ Senor Frog’s at the end of the pier (like you do).

Allure_zpsb09bf31f.png

Stumbling distance to the ship. This is necessary if you are going to "frog" properly.

SolariumPool_zps79bd478e.png

We finished up at the Solarium pool, which is really nice. It is fresh water, which was also a nice surprise – often the cruise ship pools are filled with salt water rather than fresh.

MangoLavaFlow_zpsd6902631.png

A couple of Mango Lava Flows really hit the spot. It's a vacation in the Caribbean, you have to do at least one tropical frozen drink.

Menu19_zps8cac72be.png

Menu20_zps032e7b27.png

Menu21_zps484f6128.png

Menu22_zpsc48bfb1b.png

Sorry for the photo bomb, but so many people ask about the menus and prices.

Tempura_zpsd15d6a6c.png

Sushi_zpsbddb2ba0.png

Dinner was at Izumi again. We shared the Vegetable Tempura (excellent) and some Sushi to start. The tempura was light and crispy. The sushi was also fantastic (they had yellow tail, my favorite).

MisoRamenBowl_zps00cc66ee.png

KirinLight_zpsa3c202a4.png

And then did the Miso Ramen Bowls, one with chicken the other with pork. Both were really delicious, but a huge amount of food. We stuck with beer (Kirin Light), which goes nicely with most Japanese food.

GLOW_zps373f1467.png

We stuck our heads into the GLOW party, where everything glows as you might expect.

ChocolateMartini_zps5c6bc997.pngBaileysChocolateCafe_zpsbf41e856.png

We drank dessert at the Champagne Bar. A Chocolate Martini and Bailey’s Chocolate Café – both are a great way to get your chocolate and alcohol fix.

StChristophe_zps137a0df0.png

There was more drink experimentation with a St. Germaine and Champagne. We were calling it the St. Christophe, named for the bartender who suggested it and whose name tag is missing an "r" at the end. I think it has a nice ring to it - "We'll be having our St. Christophe's on the veranda".

Twenty1_zpsd2bfeb46.png

Twenty2_zpsd033af50.png

Late-night, we went to Twenty (sponsored by Absolut), up in the Solarium. The turn-out was so-so and I think the warm weather was taking its toll on the guests. It was still lots of fun.

TowelMonkey_zps2d64fddd.png

Some monkey was hanging around in our cabin that night. It was time to pack and get ready for the final day of the cruise (NOT!). I’ll tell you how our last sea day of leg 1 went tomorrow…

Thanks! From your signature, it looks like you've done a bunch of interesting cruises, and I am betting that the Allure transatlantic will be awesome. Enjoy!

Day 6: In Which I Bite Off More Than I Can Chew

AZAficionado has talked about the snorkeling at Sunset Beach, so I figured I’d just add this thought: if you are not an experienced swimmer/snorkeler, they will set you up with what can only be described as “floaties” for adults, and a guide will tow you out so you can snorkel too. I actually think this is a pretty cool idea, although it’s absolutely hilarious to see one Mexican guy towing a bunch of tourists through the water (according to our cab driver, that’s “Cozumel-style” snorkeling).

With all that snorkeling and walking, I figured a nice big lunch would be in order, so I ordered the Sonoran Burrito at Pancho’s – shredded beef, vegetables, savory sauce, soft flour tortilla, topped with cheese, and the whole thing was the size of my head!! I live in the Sonoran desert, but this thing put every similar Barbacoa-style burrito I’ve had there to shame. It was completely delicious, and I am ashamed to admit that I stuffed myself on it.

Here are some of the Cozumel sights:

Statue2_zpsdfb8c665.png

Cozumel_zpsa76b2fee.png

Bust_zps565c0bb0.png

Arch_zps79f499df.png

Statue_zps36c9df65.png

SunsetBeach_zpsa3f76bfc.png

SandDollarSports_zpsc938e1b8.png

Our first stop was snorkeling. While it isn’t the best Cozumel has to offer, there is some great snorkeling (and diving) at Sunset Beach just a few hundred yards from the pier. It was $15 each for the gear and $2 for a locker. They built some artificial reefs to attract the fish, but it was still a great experience. At one point, the fish decided we were part of the school and were swimming all around us. It was awesome.

Coronas_zps94eb12e8.png

A few Corona Lights to celebrate a great morning.

SunsetBeach2_zps2ef13db4.png

This gives you an idea of how close it is to the ship.

Allure2_zps78845a0d.png

Another gratuitous shot of Lady A, for those of you who like to see a little ship. I know I could stand to see a little more...

Are the sidewalks good when walking to Sunset Beach? Are they good enough to be able to push our Mother in a wheelchair? Also, is the beach wheelchair accessible? Thank you!

Are the sidewalks good when walking to Sunset Beach? Are they good enough to be able to push our Mother in a wheelchair? Also, is the beach wheelchair accessible? Thank you!

My pleasure.

If I remember correctly, the sidewalks are pretty good for walking. I think you'll be alright with a wheelchair - there are a few bumps and uneven concrete slabs here and there, but nothing major. The photo of the sidewalk is very representative. The "beach" is not really a beach at all - there is no sand and really no place to sit or lay out other than the tables and chairs for the lower level of the bar/restaurant. It is simply a water access point in the rocks for divers and snorkelers and is three steps up (see photo). I can't remember if it is a flight of stairs or a ramp that leads to the lower level. Even so, the entrance into the water is all rocks and rather slippery. However, the upper level (where the bar and lockers are) is on the same level as the sidewalk. If you're thinking of snorkeling while your mother watches from the upper level, you should be just fine. Beyond that, I'm not too sure and it will depend greatly on your mother's level of mobility. Hopefully this helps.:)

Had to edit after looking at my own pictures...

Edited by AZAficionado

My pleasure.

If I remember correctly, the sidewalks are pretty good for walking. I think you'll be alright with a wheelchair - there are a few bumps and uneven concrete slabs here and there, but nothing major. The photo of the sidewalk is very representative. The "beach" is not really a beach at all - there is no sand and really no place to sit or lay out other than the tables and chairs for the lower level of the bar/restaurant. It is simply a water access point in the rocks for divers and snorkelers and is three steps up (see photo). I can't remember if it is a flight of stairs or a ramp that leads to the lower level. Even so, the entrance into the water is all rocks and rather slippery. However, the upper level (where the bar and lockers are) is on the same level as the sidewalk. If you're thinking of snorkeling while your mother watches from the upper level, you should be just fine. Beyond that, I'm not too sure and it will depend greatly on your mother's level of mobility. Hopefully this helps.:)

Had to edit after looking at my own pictures...

Yes, AZAficionado it does help. Thank you!!

LouisXIII_zps30a94f99.png

Later we went for cigars and I really wanted a nice cognac (Remy XO, specifically). They didn’t have any up in the Solarium, so I ran down to the champagne bar, but there was none there either. So, I settled for the Louis XIII (play fanfare, throw confetti)! This stuff is serious good, very expensive, but is a smokin’ deal on any RCI ship. For example, the Ritz-Carlton had it for $283 a shot, which is actually a fairly reasonable price given what other places charge. On Allure, it was $120 a shot.

I'm kinda guessin that this here fancy drink aint included in that Ultimate Beverage Package?

Yes, AZAficionado it does help. Thank you!!

Whew! You threw me a tough one there. Glad I could help.

I'm kinda guessin that this here fancy drink aint included in that Ultimate Beverage Package?

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, the first $10 is covered and you have to pay the rest. I think one of the bartenders was saying that the package gets you 10% off this (which is $12) or maybe it was even 20% off. I assumed they meant the Premium or Ultimate Packages. Either way, you're going to drop bank on this.;)