Speaking the language

tarheelmjfan

We're going on a cruise to Aruba for the 1st time in Nov. Will there be a language barrier, or do most people speak English? Also, either way I would like to learn a few words in the Dutch language to be polite. What words and/or phrases do you suggest I learn? Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just learning a few phrases in Papiamento really makes a difference (just try a couple words and see the smiles you get!), but everyone does speak excellent English.

Bon Dia Good morning

Bon Nochi Good evening

Fabor Please

Masha Danki Thank you

Con ta bai? How are you?

Hopi bon, danki Very well, thanks

Amaro's Project Papiamentu is a great translation site:

http://www.papiamentu.donamaro.nl

You can enter an English word or phase and the site will translate it for you. The site also has a short wav file so you can hear how Papiamento sounds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Only had 1 instance where someone couldn't speak english. It was late night at a little restaurant downtown. Luckily the menu has english on one side and spanish on the other. I got a chance to brush up on my spanish skills. :) Everywhere else was just fine. ;)

Same here. I wandered a few blocks off the tourist track in Orangestad and found a little neighborhood bar right at quitting time. The locals spoke Papiamento and Spanish but no English, nonetheless, one of them bought me a Balashi beer (the local brew, made from desalinated sea water, and probably my favorite Caribbean brand tied with Banks from Barbados). I said a lot of Masha Danki's !

Nearby was a small restaurant where a woman was making some kind of seasoned, fried, meat balls that looked really good. Sadly, with my lack of Spanish, our meaty transaction fell apart but I was able to order another beer :-).

A wonderful place!

Same here. I wandered a few blocks off the tourist track in Orangestad and found a little neighborhood bar right at quitting time. The locals spoke Papiamento and Spanish but no English, nonetheless, one of them bought me a Balashi beer (the local brew, made from desalinated sea water, and probably my favorite Caribbean brand tied with Banks from Barbados). I said a lot of Masha Danki's !

Nearby was a small restaurant where a woman was making some kind of seasoned, fried, meat balls that looked really good. Sadly, with my lack of Spanish, our meaty transaction fell apart but I was able to order another beer :-).

A wonderful place!

"Nearby was a small restaurant where a woman was making some kind of seasoned, fried, meat balls that looked really good. Sadly, with my lack of Spanish, our meaty transaction fell apart......."

Those were probably bitterballen or kroket.

They are quite good. Try them next time you're there. :)

Archived