Best place to Snorkel on your own! Cozumel

wigglit

We have our own gear and are all experienced snorkelers…Where is the best place to go in Cozumel where you can enter the water on your own! I don’t mind taking a taxi if it is to far to walk.

I have read a lot about Money Bar, and how it is nice, but that a lot of the cruise ships use it for the ships snorkeling excursions. I don't really want to be bunched with the herd :D

We plan to snorkel for a while then head back to the port area to stroll through the shops.

We are sailing on the Dream docking on July8th. Any suggestions would be great…..

Thanks - Karen - :)

We LOVE Money Bar- I want to go back to cozumel just for their nachos and a "Pretty In Pink". We didn't find it to be too crowded any of the times we went (we stayed in Cozumel for a week in addition to the cruise stop). There are snorkel boats that drop off there, but the numbers are generally low, and they leave after not too long. From Puerta Maya the cab fare was $9 (up to 4 people) each way.

We've also snorkeled at Chankannab and the snorkeling was great- but talk about a herd. You had to swim quite a ways out from the shore to not have to worry about being kicked in the head. Plus the entry fee is very high ($21 per person). From Puerta Maya the cab fare was $11 (up to 4 people) each way.

Edited by skittl1321

I've been fortunate enough to spend several vacations in Cozumel. One thing I hate to do it snorkel in large groups, especially with inexperienced snorklers. At the Money Bar you won't have an issue, the cruise excursions are much further out. If you're feeling adventurous, I'd venture out past the cruise excursions, you can see some big things out there! I was lucky enough to see a Manta Ray and it was by far the best snorkeling experience I have ever had.

Another positive about the Money Bar is the fact that drinks are cheap and the food is wonderful! If you have a chance, try their coconut shrimp! It's AMAZING!

Have fun!