St Petersburg excursions for disabled

archimedes

We're going on a Baltic cruise on Cunard Queen Victoria and want to arrange an afternoon excursion in St Petersburg. My wife can't do early mornings as she has a heart condition which needs her to start the day slowly. Can anyone please suggest a suitable excursion with minimum walking. We'd need it to include visas. Cunard don't have anything suitable.

If you depart a ship in St Petersburg on your own, you will need visas even it is only for an hour. This is the reason Cunard trips or other excursions are arranged.

The port is someway from the centre and we were advised not to take the local taxis, and in fairness it is not hard to see why. Language is a problem and this is a country where services for those with disabilities are severely limited.

Once on the ship it might be worth a trip to the travel office as perhaps there is an afternoon trip by coach that would allow some sightseeing and that you could remain on if there were any stops, and this would certainly solve the visa problem.

There are a number of independent companies that offer tours in St Petersburg which can be easily found on Google, they are able to tailor a tour to your needs and because it is organised no visa is required. I also understand that a new cruise terminal is to be/ has been built much nearer the town which saves driving through the nastier bits. Red October is one that I used and they were fine.

If you look at the Ports section of Cruise Critic they list some licensed tour operators and give links to their websites. We used Alla Tours and found them to be very helpful, I'm sure they would be able to assist you, if you send them a message on their website they are very quick to respond. We would recommend Alla to anybody. They take care of all visa requirements for anybody booking with them.

Have a great cruise

Gill

I have been to St Petersburg on the QV and as someone who needs a wheelchair for distances ,I would recommend a private tour.We went with Alla and were able to visit the Hermitage,St Peter Paul fortress ,church of the spilt blood,st issacs cathedral and Peterhoff Palace. We even went on the underground and the beauty of having a private driver is they can pull up right by the attractions. They provide the visas too.