Passport Question

MrsChef

I booked our cruise for November in my married name. All other documents other than my passport are in my married name. Will it be a problem if my passport is still valid, but in my maiden name? I know I can change it in time for the cruise, but I'd rather not waste $100+ if it won't be an issue. Thanks!

I booked our cruise for November in my married name. All other documents other than my passport are in my married name. Will it be a problem if my passport is still valid, but in my maiden name? I know I can change it in time for the cruise, but I'd rather not waste $100+ if it won't be an issue. Thanks!

I believe if you have a copy of your marriage certificate you will be okay. It will only be an issue if you have to fly out of a foreign country unexpectedly. The photo on your passport should match your driver's license, as well as your birthday. The other question is when does it expire? Will you need to renew soon anyway? For me, I changed mine anyway because I wanted to travel under my husband's name & not my ex's :p Happy cruising!

You can travel with your Birth Certificate (I think it must be have a raised seal, or be a specific kind) and Government Issued Photo ID (Drivers License)...if you have these two documents, then you will be fine...I would suggest you take your passport with you and a copy of your Marriage Certificate just in case you need to fly home from a foreign port (as suggested by another).

I believe if you have a copy of your marriage certificate you will be okay. It will only be an issue if you have to fly out of a foreign country unexpectedly. The photo on your passport should match your driver's license, as well as your birthday. The other question is when does it expire? Will you need to renew soon anyway? For me, I changed mine anyway because I wanted to travel under my husband's name & not my ex's :p Happy cruising!

Not quite true. If she needed to fly unexpectedly, she'd just book that ticket in the same name as her passport.

Also untrue: your passport and drivers license photo matching. Mine most certainly don't. How would they? They've been taken at different times and places. My names didn't even match for 12 years, including on cruises. Not a problem.

OP: Your passport name should match your booking name. If not, either spend the money to change it, or bring your marriage cert. with you.

Edited by irishnyc

So if I bring my marriage certificate with me I should be fine? (Maybe bring my birth certificate too just to be safe?) I always carry me DL so that's not an issue.

The passport is just over the one year mark or I could have changed it for free, so basicall it doesn't expire for 10 years.

We are driving so I don't have to worry about flights (unless for emergency reasons).

Edited by MrsChef

Please contact cruise line directly. (Maybe call on a few different days). Ask them. If you have 9+ years left on your passport, $9.00 per year seems like a simple solution to a problem that could follow you for 9+ years. This issue seems to be a concern now. How terrible to miss your cruise if you could have fixed the issue before you sailed.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by lazycruzer

I agree with lazycruzer. Call customer service at different times...maybe 3 times to see what they say. Why go through this for the remaining years? Get the new passport I say. Less chance of a new customs officer messing it up for you that way...

So if I bring my marriage certificate with me I should be fine? (Maybe bring my birth certificate too just to be safe?) I always carry me DL so that's not an issue.

The passport is just over the one year mark or I could have changed it for free, so basicall it doesn't expire for 10 years.

We are driving so I don't have to worry about flights (unless for emergency reasons).

I've tried this before and been grateful I had my birth certificate, as well. I would not have been permitted boarding, with a mismatched married name on reservation and maiden name on passport-- EVEN WITH MY MARRIAGE LICENSE. Either change your passport or don't travel with it.

Edited by LBroxon

I've tried this before and been grateful I had my birth certificate, as well. I would not have been permitted boarding, with a mismatched married name on reservation and maiden name on passport-- EVEN WITH MY MARRIAGE LICENSE. Either change your passport or don't travel with it.

That does not make any sense.

Most married women's birth certificate won't match the photo-ID. That's where the marriage certificate comes in - it links the two last names and proves you are the same person.

You don't even need a passport to cruise - if it is a closed loop cruise, you only need a birth certificate and photo-ID.

The rules are pretty clear.

Why go through the trouble and try to fight the rules? Just pay the money like everyone else does when they get married and update your passport.

What rules are those? There is no rule that says you have to update your passport to your spouse's last name. Some may not want to.

What rules are those? There is no rule that says you have to update your passport to your spouse's last name. Some may not want to.

Booking must match your travel documents. Those rules...

If you don't want to change your name, then don't use your passport. If your none of your documents match, and you can't be bothered to change them, you won't be going on a cruise.

Everyone thinks their story is special / unique / deserves and exception to the rules.

If you don't want to change your name, then don't use your passport. If your none of your documents match, and you can't be bothered to change them, you won't be going on a cruise.

Everyone thinks their story is special / unique / deserves and exception to the rules.

Wow, way to be rude for no reason :rolleyes:. I don't think I am special or deserve an exception. I could just as easily go on this cruise without my passport, but thought I would bring it along for emergency reasons.

Wow, way to be rude for no reason :rolleyes:. I don't think I am special or deserve an exception. I could just as easily go on this cruise without my passport, but thought I would bring it along for emergency reasons.

I'm not being rude - just stating the situation.

A passport with the wrong name won't do you a whole lot of good in many/most cases. It's not your legal name anymore, correct?

Sorry, you are wrong. The question of married women's documentation comes up from time to time on cruise critic. You don't need the name to match the booking as long as you have a marriage certficate that documents the name change. It has to be that way, otherwise many married women couldn't cruise with a birth certificate and photo-ID, since their birth certificate name won't match their photo-ID if they have changed their name.

A passport with the wrong name won't do you a whole lot of good in many/most cases. It's not your legal name anymore, correct?

That is not correct. It is still you "legal" name. You can legally use more than one name as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. After all, a marriage certificate is only proof that you were married. When verifying your name it is only used to show that you are not trying to use a different name for fraudulent purposes.

Sorry, you are wrong. The question of married women's documentation comes up from time to time on cruise critic. You don't need the name to match the booking as long as you have a marriage certficate that documents the name change. It has to be that way, otherwise many married women couldn't cruise with a birth certificate and photo-ID, since their birth certificate name won't match their photo-ID if they have changed their name.

We are talking two different things here. If you plan on using a passport as a travel doc it needs to match the booking. One of the great reasons for using a passport is it affirms citizenship, amongst other things. If stranded outside the U.S. do you want to have an outdated document with the wrong name? Just to save a mere $100?

have same issue with my DIL.. newly married to my son with a passport that was issued just prior to marriage.(school trip, couldnt wait).. she is booked in her maiden name.. airline, cruise, etc.. to match her passport. she also traveled to mexico for their honeymoon that way, .. bringing marriage license, birth certificate just in case, but was assured that as long as her goverment ID and cruise documents match,, that there would be no issue. many women still use their maiden names for professional reasons so im sure she is not the first.

We have been told several times when booking 2 of our sons' honeymoons and then later a cruise for another son with a wife that the booking and the name on the passport (or DL when we book a land vacation to Hawaii for them) HAD to be the same.

I guess if the BC, DL and booking names are the same you are ok unless you need to fly home. Here's hoping not!

We have been told several times when booking 2 of our sons' honeymoons and then later a cruise for another son with a wife that the booking and the name on the passport (or DL when we book a land vacation to Hawaii for them) HAD to be the same.

I guess if the BC, DL and booking names are the same you are ok unless you need to fly home. Here's hoping not!

People have certainly been lucky in the past by having a whole heap of supporting documents to relate married vs maiden names....but why go through the trouble of carrying all that paperwork with you when you could just carry your passport?

Personally I don't want to carry a briefcase full of documents around port and hope for the best if I need to fly.

We are talking two different things here. If you plan on using a passport as a travel doc it needs to match the booking.

Not for cruising, it doesn't. Just bring the marriage cert to document the name change, as I posted earlier.

One of the great reasons for using a passport is it affirms citizenship, amongst other things. If stranded outside the U.S. do you want to have an outdated document with the wrong name? Just to save a mere $100?

The passport with the maiden name is still valid. If you need to fly home, just buy a ticket in the maiden name.

Yes it is more convenient to have all docs in one name... but you are incorrect that it HAS to be that way.

Not for cruising, it doesn't. Just bring the marriage cert to document the name change, as I posted earlier.

The passport with the maiden name is still valid. If you need to fly home, just buy a ticket in the maiden name.

Yes it is more convenient to have all docs in one name... but you are incorrect that it HAS to be that way.

I'm telling you all right now that when this happened to me, I would not have been going on the cruise if I hadn't had my birth certificate with me. I had both my passport in my maiden name and my marriage license and it was not enough. They wanted another supporting document--regardless of regulations, that is what happened.

So for the OP, if you aren't going to change your passport (which I totally understand, it's expensive) make sure you bring everything you can, JUST IN CASE!

1. Call Carnival and review with them.

2. Remember, the folks working the counters at check-in are contract employees. Thus, bring all your documents. You will have all bases covered.

Fret not anyone who is snide....it is easy to be nasty behind a keyboard....

Bon Voyage!!!!!!!!!

You can change it for free or a little amount if it is just changed by marriage for a certain grace period (I think it is a year) After that time you have to pay full price to change it.

I did mine right away but I do know people who have waited and it is a complete new one