More evidence that photography is in your head, not your camera bag...

We all tend to forget that the reason that we buy all of these tools (toys?) is to enable us to take better photos.

How many here think you could build a career in fashion photography using only one 20-year-old lens?

http://reframe.gizmodo.com/this-fashion-photographer-uses-only-one-beat-up-hand-me-1586569058/+robertsorokanich

Pausing to think....

Dave

He knows his camera/lens and knows how to put it to good use. Yay.

He's also shooting with studio lights, where the practice is typically manual mode, set shutter speed to 1/200th or whatever the sync speed is, set ISO to 100, then set aperture to f/8 (a place where almost any lens will shine, and for this one it's ~2 stops down from wide open, also a good practice). The studio light(s) are then adjusted in intensity, position, and modifier to get the light quality/quantity/distribution desired. That makes it so much easier than having to balance the exposure when dependent on ambient light.

An acquaintance has/had the Canon 5D Mark II, a $2700 camera in its heyday. She had the 50mm f/1.4, a $350-400 lens, as her ONLY lens, and she built a very successful portrait business around this lens. Her work was consistently superior, and I'd argue that it's because she KNEW that lens - what's the right aperture for each shot, what optical shortcomings will I get with that aperture, is the shot built in such a way that the shortcomings don't matter, etc.

There's a reason I often shoot with a "loose" composition, and often centered: I get the best optical performance by staying in the center and out of the corners, and I get the best autofocus performance by staying under the center point. Back on the computer, I can then crop to build a rule-of-thirds composition, and/or I have enough room around my subject for Sports Illustrated to put their title on the top and other text around the subject. ;)

• 2 weeks later...