Is there encephalitis in Dubrovnik

Since I have read that there is tick born encephalitis in Croatia I have been concerned about our tour"Highlights of Dubrovnik Riviera" which takes us to the Konavoski Divori restaurant, Cavtat, and the Old Town. Especially concerned about the area of the restaurant and really don't want to get vaccinations for just one lunch. Hoping perhaps Dubrovnik lady could answer this for me.

Since I have read that there is tick born encephalitis in Croatia I have been concerned about our tour"Highlights of Dubrovnik Riviera" which takes us to the Konavoski Divori restaurant, Cavtat, and the Old Town. Especially concerned about the area of the restaurant and really don't want to get vaccinations for just one lunch. Hoping perhaps Dubrovnik lady could answer this for me.

We just returned from a yacht tour of the same area. We did not eat at that restaurant, but went to a mill and had bread baked under the dome and fresh cut prosciutto with home made wine. No one mentioned any problems and our tour would not have taken us there is there was one.

TBE does effect several forestry workers each year in eastern Croatia so if you see a dirty lumberjack that didn't take off his work clothes during the few hundred miles trip, you might be in trouble.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have not heard any news about encephalitis in our area. Konovski Dvori has many guests eating there and yes it does have trees and a fresh river nearby, I doubt highly that it is infected with ticks. If you are so concerned, then perhaps you might consider a strong insect spray one loaded with deep.

Thank you Dubrovnik Lady. I appreciate your quick response, and yes we will use a repellent. If you do hear of anything re. this concern, could you please post it on this board? Thanks, Grammy

I've never heard of any tick infections in coastal part of Croatia. There is some risk in the woods near our capital Zagreb and some region in eastern part, Slavonia.

Sent from my MediaPad 7 Lite using Tapatalk

The area of Germany that we live in also has many ticks that transmit both encephalitis and borreliosis. Our kids went to a forrest kindergarten where they spend their days in the woods and brought back many ticks.

The kids were vaccinated, but the vaccine is onely effective in 50% of the cases and can have side effects. What is most important is to remove the ticks right away, since it takes about 24 hours before they start releasig the virus. Don't squeeze them and don't kill them (by putting on glue or alcohol), since this will release the encephalitis virus and the borreliosis bacteria.

The best way to remove the tick is by using a a tick card. It looks like a credit card, but thinner and with an opening at one corner. You just gently push it under the tick and lift it off.

Contrary to popular belief, tick don't live on trees, but in high grass and bushes. Best to stay away from both.

Edited by Alex71