Hotel in Dublin or Near Airport

We are doing an overnight layover in Dublin on our way back to the US from our Greek Isles Cruise. We are wanting to head into Dublin to do a few quick things before the flight the next morning at 10:50 am. I am torn about whether to grab a hotel near the airport(taxi into town and back?) or stay in Dublin and take a taxi to the airport earlier in the morning.. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on this problem?

Rachel

We are doing an overnight layover in Dublin on our way back to the US from our Greek Isles Cruise. We are wanting to head into Dublin to do a few quick things before the flight the next morning at 10:50 am. I am torn about whether to grab a hotel near the airport(taxi into town and back?) or stay in Dublin and take a taxi to the airport earlier in the morning.. Anyone have any recommendations or thoughts on this problem?

Rachel

It's much of a muchness, and depends on what kind of things you want to do in Dublin.

If you stay in the city centre, you will want to leave for your flight no later than around 7:30. That gives you time for check-in, security and US immigration and a cup of coffee before your flight. There are a variety of buses that go from the city centre to the airport pretty much all day. A hotel along the red Luas (tram) line will be most convenient for getting to your bus stop. The bus is usually around €6 per person one way. A taxi to/from the airport is around €25-€30, plus an extra €1 per person.

Staying in an airport hotel won't give you a significantly longer lie-in, as the shuttles can be a little erratic

I think it really comes down to what do you want to do the night before? If you want to go out, get food, have a few drinks, soak up the atmosphere, then a city centre hotel might be best. If you just want to go in, do a small bit of shopping, then eat in your hotel, I'd probably go for an airport hotel.

When booking Dublin airport hotels, take a look on Google Maps to see where they are. Bewley's, for example, is in a field about 5 minutes down the motorway from the airport. Not a big deal, but there is nothing around it that you can walk to. The Radissson is in the airport grounds, and you can walk to the terminal and a convenience store, but not much else. The Carlton has panoramic views of the long term car park.

There are a few hotels in the Ballymun area. While the hotels are nice, the surrounding area is not very touristy, and I wouldn't be very comfortable walking around there on my own at night. If you're getting a taxi to/from the door of the hotel then it's fine.

Hi, Rachel,

I forgot to tell you that, besides reading the reviews and looking at the photos, you can also click on the MAP and see exactly the area that the Host's apartments are located. This one is more costly than the one at the airport (on your other thread); however, because it is right in town:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2492216

$77 - Dublin City Centre Private Room - Apartment - Private room · Conyngham Road, Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Languages: Deutsch, English, Español, Français, Italiano

School: Hipnotherapy and Family Consultations

Work: Psychotherapy

Hello! Glad to welcome you in our cosy apartment. We are a Romanian couple who moved to Dublin, for work reasons. We live close to city center and to the many tourist attractions that you can find in this lovely town. I am passionate about psychotherapy, astrology and home design. I love pets and I enjoy traveling, but most I enjoy meeting people all over the world. Vlad likes to travel, loves tennis, and dreams to attend to Grand Slams tennis tournaments. We are looking forward to welcoming you and give you any help you need to have a great stay in Dublin! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to message us, whether or not you pick our place to live in. See you soon! Alina & Vlad

The Space: Located near Phoenix Park, this cosy apartment provides you with the perfect location to explore the sights and sounds of Ireland's vibrant capital city. Overlooking a cute, cosy garden while being at walking distance from the heart of the city, your stay in Dublin will definitely feel like home. The apartment faces into a large courtyard garden that is ideal for relaxation and gives loads of space for kids to play. It also ensures that the apartment is quiet while still in the centre of the action. There is very fast 30 mb WiFi as well as Satellite TV on a big flat screen, as well as everything you will need in order to feel at home. The bedroom accommodates 2 persons, and the double bed is very comfortable. The kitchen is very well equipped with cooker stove and oven, microwave and a washing machine. Everything you might need (bed linen, towels and kitchen items) is provided, as well as a small library of books on Dublin.

Guest Access: THE IMMEDIATE AREA: There are great walks to be found in Phoenix Park (Europe's largest urban park) and the apartment is 2 minutes distance from the main entry. If you are thirsty after your long walk, we can supply you with local knowledge of the finest watering holes the city has to offer! 5 minutes walk to Guiness and National Art Museum, 10 minutes to Jameson factory and you will soon arrive in the heart of the city at Dublin Castle and Temple Bar. All other notable parts of the city – such as Grafton Street area, St Stephens Green, Merrion Square, O'Connell Street – are within a 20 minute walk. The free Dublin bicycle scheme has been a great addition to the city and allows the freedom to explore further afield. There are several stations close at hand. Should you have any special requests, let us know and we will do our best to point you in the right direction, otherwise take your time to stroll around and enjoy all the city has to offer in the safe knowledge that you are only a stones throw from home. Enjoy your stay!

Hi, Rachel,

I forgot to tell you that, besides reading the reviews and looking at the photos, you can also click on the MAP and see exactly the area that the Host's apartments are located. This one is more costly than the one at the airport (on your other thread); however, because it is right in town:B]

But it's not right in town. It's in an absolute sh!thole of an area also. There nothing in that area except a few business', fast food emporiums, a bus garage and some less than selburious locals. About a good 30 minute walk at a minimum from where it's situated to O'connell bridge. Yes you could get the LUAS. There plenty of city center hotels that have good rates, and would be a lot more convienient for the air coach which is the cheapest way to get from town to the airport, €6 p/p or €10 return. Takes approx 20 mins traffic dependant and runs 24 hours a day.

There's a distinct lack of hotels at the airport, as posted there's the raddison and the maldron. Bewleys and the crown plaza are within 5 minutes drive, as far as I recall both have a shuttle.

Best option is to look on the likes of alpha rooms/booking.com. Use O'connell street as your center point and don't go too far. Look at the Gresham, and also o'callaghan hotels. If you want opinions on a particular hotel, feel free to ask

I just had a quick look at alpha rooms, no idea of your dates so I went for a Monday in august.

Bewleys dublin airport, (5 mins away by shuttle) €72 for the night, room only.

Arlington hotel, dublin City center, right on the corner of O'connell street, €65, room only.

Gresham hotel, one of the old hotels, €112, room only. Air coach literally stops outside the front door also, it's on O'connell street.

Despite being from Dublin, I've stayed in that Hilton. It's fine for an overnight, but there's nowhere really in the vicinity other than a supermarket. Nice Chinese restaurant in the same complex and a good restaurant in the hotel itself. You can get the bus from close to the hotel into the city centre or out to the coastal village of Malahide.