Last minute questions from 1st time cruiser

These boards have been so incredibly helpful, I thought I'd post my last-minute, very specific questions for you veteran RCI travelers. We will be cruising on the Serenade to Alaska in two weeks.

About Adventure Ocean:

1. What is the policy about parents leaving the ship while kids stay at AO? I assume that AO is open longer on port days for this very purpose, but I don't want to rely on this. We have a day when both of us are scheduled for excursions w/o the kids.

2. Do they have pillows and mats for kids to nap at AO, or do they insist you pick them up?

3. Who do we see to schedule in-room babysitting?

Other questions:

1. Do the refridgerators have a freezer section?

2. Lots of people have recommended bringing insulated mugs and water bottles. Are these available in the gift shops onboard? I'd like to save the space in my bag and get souveniers (we use a LOT of those acrylic water bottles and could certainly stand to have a few more). When do the shops open?

3. How small does a suit case need to be to fit under the bed? I've gotten a few duffles, but it would be really nice to get some use out of my expensive hard-sided luggage!

4. Our documents say boarding is at 2 pm, but I've read several posts that say you can board much earlier. We are first-time cruisers, not C&A members. We've got a balcony cabin, but not a "suite". I don't want to show up at the peir at 11am and wait until 2, but it would be really nice if we could board at 11. What's the real deal?

5. Is there a time limit on ordering pics from the ship's photo center, or can you just wait until the end of the cruise to look for yours?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Barb

Other questions:

1. Do the refridgerators have a freezer section?

2. Lots of people have recommended bringing insulated mugs and water bottles. Are these available in the gift shops onboard? I'd like to save the space in my bag and get souveniers (we use a LOT of those acrylic water bottles and could certainly stand to have a few more). When do the shops open?

3. How small does a suit case need to be to fit under the bed? I've gotten a few duffles, but it would be really nice to get some use out of my expensive hard-sided luggage!

4. Our documents say boarding is at 2 pm, but I've read several posts that say you can board much earlier. We are first-time cruisers, not C&A members. We've got a balcony cabin, but not a "suite". I don't want to show up at the peir at 11am and wait until 2, but it would be really nice if we could board at 11. What's the real deal?

5. Is there a time limit on ordering pics from the ship's photo center, or can you just wait until the end of the cruise to look for yours?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

Barb

I´m sorry but I can´t answer any of your AO questions.

To the other questions:

1. No the fridges have no frezzing section and they don´t keep things realy cold. However they cool down things but nothing near freezing.

2. Yes they sell such stuff in the shops onboard. The shops usually open about 1/2 hour after sailing.

3. Can´t tell about the beds, but your suitcase should fit under the bed. Of course if it´s a really big one you might need to open it up before sliding it under the bed. Sometimes it also helps to lift the bed a little push the suitcase under and the but the bed back on the floor again. The frame of the bed is sometimes lower than the space under the bed. (Hope this makes sense)

4. Well regarding boarding I can say you never know. I have boarded as early as 10:45am and as late as 5:30pm, all for reommended boarding time 2:00pm in the docs.

It depends on when the ship comes into port, how long it takes to clear the ship through local authorities and how long debarkation from the passengers of the last cruise takes. Usually you can board earlier than the time posted in your docs. You should be find around noon most of the time, however if boarding is delayed and you have to wait until 2:00pm you can´t blame anybody but yourself for the waiting as the cruise line told you not to be there before 2:00pm. I always arrive early but I know if I have to wait it´s my fault not the cruise lines. So if you don´t want to wait don´t be there early.

5. The photos are up until the end of the cruise and you can wait.

Barb,

If you're talking ages 3-5 in the AO, yes, you can leave them in AO while you're on your excursion in port. No, they do not have pillows and blankets for them to take a nap. Usually they have planned activities and they keep the kids busy. If your child is a napper and happens to fall asleep during the time they're in AO, they usually let them sleep on the little cushioned area where everyone sits. They also will give you a beeper in this age group, but it will not work while off the ship.

Yes, you can get a in-room babysitter, but you need to check with the purser's desk when you board and they will tell you costs and times.

Enjoy your cruise.

Linda

Archived