NCL's dive operator in Bermuda

Griff4AU

Sorry, I searched... nothing recent.

We booked a last minute sailing on the NCL Breakaway and will be in Bermuda next week. I know dive prices in Bermuda are insane... but the boss wants to get wet, so we will.

Anyone know who the NCL dive operator in Bermuda is? And better yet, an independent with better service?

Thanks,

Griff

Sure Griff, I can answer that for you... Fantasea is the diver operator in Bermuda for NCL, although I haven't heard anything about them.

Hopefully someone else will chime in on any other dive operators!

(sarcasm hat on.. I guess I need a cruise vacation)

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone who who RCI uses for scuba diving in Bermuda? Thanks

Here's a "best guess"...

IF (big if) your RCCL ship docks at the Royal Naval Dockyard (where the bigger ships dock), then I am guessing they use Fantasea. That is who NCL and Celebrity (X is the sister line to RCCL) use. We used Fantasea 3 weeks ago and won't use them again. They were a reminder why we almost never use the cruise ship excursion for diving. We used them out of convenience for our very busy 3 days, and won't use them when we go back.

Fantasea is the "all things water" type operator.. meaning snorkeling, diving, sightseeing, everything. We had Discover Scuba, a certification class and recreational divers.... all on the same boat. With such a variance of dive levels on the same boat, let's just say the DMs were "direct" in their approach. Professional and courteous, but "direct". Think "nun with a ruler at a Catholic elementary school 30 years ago" direct... Weights, masks, and snorkels were setting in a pile on the boat with a "go find one that fits" approach. We motored over to their shop for those who needed fins/BCDs. On the plus side, they didn't limit the bottom times (specifically stating such), meaning me and my wife stayed under until we were low on air... but the newbies weren't happy with me and my wife as we are both air sippers. No refreshments on the boat other than water to drink.

My wife who is usually a "let's just go with the ship's excursion because it's easier" mentality (which is 100% different than my "we use independents, better value, better dive, and the operator keeps all the money" attitude) stated that we will never use them again.

Just my opinion, but I would try Blue Water Divers. Just another example of why it is nearly always better to use the independent operators when booking a dive (or nearly any other) excursion....