Questions about Alaska Glacier Bay, North or South bound? Help

Hi eveyone,

Been seaching the cruise lines for 2006 Alaska cruise.

I would like my helpful friends here at cruise critics to put their two cents in.

Which is the best to take Glacier Bay, North or South Bound?

I prefer to leave and return to the same port such as Seattle or Vancover due to the cost of air fare.

Also how is the weather late May in Alaska.

Also advice on cabin choice, one deck better than another port or starboard? I know we will want a balcony cabin.

Any advice, help or suggestion will be appreicated.

Thanks,

Sherry

Sherry,

Cruised last year, mid June, to Alaska however was not with RCCL so cannot comment specifically on their cruises. Are you doing just the cruise or a cruise tour? The weather in Alaska at any time can be very changeable but I might expect that in late May you may still find some snow and doing the interior may not be as good...others may have better opinions on this. Always pack clothes that you can layer and mix and match. Doing Glacier Bay is pretty cold most of the time and doing it on either the Southern or Northern route really doesn't matter. If you were doing a one-way cruise then I suggest Port side going south and Starboard going North....on a round-trip you can do either. And definitely do get a balcony. It is a wonderful trip and a great experience.....enjoy!

RCI doesn't have permits for Glacier Bay. Some of their cruises are doing Hubbard Glacier and others are doing Tracy Arm Fjord. For a roundtrip out of Vancouver, look at Serenade which is doing Hubbard Glacier. Out of Seattle, look at Vision which is doing Tracy Arm Fjord.

Late May is a really good time to go to Alaska. It isn't as crowded and there tends to be more wildlife (but not always). Weather is hit or miss in Alaska, depending on the week. One week it may be warm and sunny, and the next week cold and rainy.

Archived