NOLA Hotels with park and cruise?

Hello -

We are in the early stages of planning our next cruise. Anyone sailed out of NOLA before that has a recommendation of a good hotel that also offers a park and cruise option? Planning to arrive mid day prior to the cruise so that we can see a little of the city. Would be staying 1 night for sure prior to the cruise and while I am not one that needs a 4 star hotel, we will be traveling with children, so would prefer a location / hotel that is considered safe. Would consider leaving the car at the hotel vs parking at the pier.

Thanks in advance!

In December we stayed pre and post cruise at the Holiday Inn Westbank in Gretna. It's on the other side of the river from the port. They let you keep your car in their lot during the cruise. It is not a secured lot but I didn't feel worried at all about the car. The hotel is round in shape and that makes the rooms seem really large. They don't offer a shuttle service but a cab for 4 people to and from was about $15 each way. It was affordable, the pre stay included breakfast in the restaurant (which is an actual restaurant that serves lunch and dinner and is actually pretty good!). We have also done the Holiday Inn Superdome in the past, however since they have completed their remodel I find their prices to be bit more that I want to pay. I would not hesitate for a second to stay at the Westbank property again. There is also a mall right across the street with a branch of Cafe Du Monde and a decent food court. The hotel is right next to a highway so I suggest requesting a room facing the river on a higher floor, which is opposite the highway...that also gives you a view towards the port and you can see the ships!

Here are some pics from our room:

DSC06568_zpsad738b85.jpg

DSC06569_zpsbfd63f35.jpg

DSC06570_zpsa39c6cf1.jpg

Hope that helps!

No problem! We love sailing out of NOLA! There is something really cool about cruising down the river. Although both times we have gone it has been winter and we only had about an hour of daylight to see the sights. NOLA is definitely my favorite port to sail out of!

In December we stayed pre and post cruise at the Holiday Inn Westbank in Gretna. It's on the other side of the river from the port. They let you keep your car in their lot during the cruise. It is not a secured lot but I didn't feel worried at all about the car. The hotel is round in shape and that makes the rooms seem really large. They don't offer a shuttle service but a cab for 4 people to and from was about $15 each way. It was affordable, the pre stay included breakfast in the restaurant (which is an actual restaurant that serves lunch and dinner and is actually pretty good!). We have also done the Holiday Inn Superdome in the past, however since they have completed their remodel I find their prices to be bit more that I want to pay. I would not hesitate for a second to stay at the Westbank property again. There is also a mall right across the street with a branch of Cafe Du Monde and a decent food court. The hotel is right next to a highway so I suggest requesting a room facing the river on a higher floor, which is opposite the highway...that also gives you a view towards the port and you can see the ships!

Here are some pics from our room:

DSC06568_zpsad738b85.jpg

DSC06569_zpsbfd63f35.jpg

DSC06570_zpsa39c6cf1.jpg

Hope that helps!

If the price is right, would you stay at Holiday Inn Superdome again? Was there anything nearby?

We are looking into Holiday Inn Superdome or Holiday Inn in Metarie. I had not looked at the one in Gretna, but I may check it out. The past two years we stayed at Quality Inn in Gretna but it has gone so far down hill I was not pleased with the service or property.

The reason I am trying to talk DH into staying at the SUperdome is that I am hoping there is a little more to do near there to get more of a NOLA experience, without getting the WHOLE experience (if you know what I mean), since my three year old will be with us. Another reason I did not like the hotel we have stayed at in Gretna was that there was not really much nearby and the stuff that was there was a little sketchy. DH is wanting to stay at the one in Metarie because he just wants to get there and relax. But he is also one that will be fine with the hotel restaurant. I want to try something else though.

If the price was right I would definitely consider the Superdome again. I though it was a great property and the parking is secured, which is nice being more downtown. Also the Superdome had a free shuttle to take you around town which was nice. Their rooftop pool is pretty awesome too! That being said I really was impressed with the Gretna location. It had a great view of the port, bridge, and city and the employees were amazing! I have a loyalty card with the Holiday Inn brand and try to stay loyal to them for points so I would consider either. Bottom line, if they were the same price I'd be pretty torn as they are actually both nice properties.

We stayed at a Ramada Inn in Metarie and was very pleased with it. Left our car there for 7 nights. The shuttle took us to the port. We did have to provide our own transportation back to the hotel. Took a cab for about $24. The hotel was clean and we were able to park in a light up area. No problems. Would do it again.

We just stayed at the Quality Inn Westbank in Gretna. nice clean rooms , breakfast in the morning and shuttle to and from the cruiseship. We did a B2B and they let us leave our car for 14 days at no extra charge. Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
We just stayed at the Quality Inn Westbank in Gretna. nice clean rooms , breakfast in the morning and shuttle to and from the cruiseship. We did a B2B and they let us leave our car for 14 days at no extra charge. Dennis

How far is hotel from port? Was shuttle free that the hotel offers? Do they pick you up at the port upon your return? I am looking for a room this Sat night. I booked a last minute cruise and need to find a place to sleep for the night and park the car while on my cruise. Thanks.