Belize... Snorkeling or cave tubing?

Joannebc

OMGoodness... Just when you think you have it figured out, you read a review that changes your mind. The review at Rendezvous Cay says you only snorkel 1/2 hour... Is there another vendor?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a private snorkel tour with Ivar Marchand last month in Belize. Our best day of the cruise. The snorkeling there was wonderful.

If you do a search in the Belize forum and this one for Ivar you will likely come across my previous summary. Highly recommend him. We had so much time in the water.

I would not take a ships snorkel due to short time in water, and so many fins in the face.

Edited by wantocruisemore

I have never snorkeled here so I can't compare the two, but our group did cave tubing a few years back and loved it. It does involve walking quite a ways and carrying your tube, so make sure everyone is pretty mobile. People who can't walk well or far should not do this. We went in March (spring break) so the water in the caves was pretty cool, but it was awesome. Our tour included lunch and my only complaint was that while the food was good, we ate it sitting on the bus, from plates on our laps. I think after eating on a cruise ship for several days I had gotten a little spoiled. ha!! :) Great day, highly recommend.

Ivar got back to me and recommended Caye Caulker and shark ray alley. Some reading I did said you spend half the day getting there, and it's the same tour as everyone else. Can you give me details of your experience. He is charging 575 for 6 of us. (4 are kids 10 - 15).

Thanks in advance!

Cave tubing was great and one of the best we found in the Caribbean (and safest). For snorkeling, I guess you need to go out to the islands of San Pedro and Co. There is no snorkeling off the coast in Belize city (port)...

Did cave tubing in April and really enjoyed it. We went with cavetubing.bz and HIGHLY recommend them!!! Our guides were fantastic! Informative and we had the chance to eat live termites, some small coconut like things, all spice leaves, etc. We could have held a tarantula had it not been mating season...they are too aggressive that time of year ;).

Best part? You don't carry your tube until the very end of the walk AND they go a bit further so you get an extra cave. We had time to swim in the river for a bit after the float.

Then it was back to the "office" where our home made lunch and rum punch was waiting for us. Oh, and we kept our drink cups and Vitalino sent a gallon jug of rum punch in the van with us for the ride back. YUM! All of that for $50 :D

Ivar got back to me and recommended Caye Caulker and shark ray alley. Some reading I did said you spend half the day getting there, and it's the same tour as everyone else. Can you give me details of your experience. He is charging 575 for 6 of us. (4 are kids 10 - 15).

Thanks in advance!

I can't access it with my iPad and don't have time to repeat it all, but I have done a more detailed post about my experience. It was our best day.

It did not take half a day to get there. We were in the first tender and he was waiting at port exit. I think it took about 45 minutes by fast boat. We had a long time in the water at both shark ray alley and a tour through the coral and around. Then Caye caulker for munch with about 30 extra minutes to walk around. We got back to the port about 4:30. Perfect day.