Juneau car rental

lovetotraveltx

Has anyone rented from budget or Alamo at 1873 shell Simmons drive? If so, how did you get there?

Thank you!

These are airport rentals. Cab costs would run probably $70 for round trip. It would take longer to take the city bus.

These are airport rentals. Cab costs would run probably $70 for round trip. It would take longer to take the city bus.

I booked directly through Avis at the Goldbelt. Got an awesome rate! Do I need a jeep/4wd drive thing? Just got a full size.

Thank you!

• 7 months later...

Hertz is also a good choice, new people took over and they will pick you up and drop you off from the cruise ship areas. If you are a gold member they will drop off cars to you and pick them up. It was easy and convenient for us while we were there. Prices are reasonable. I had a great experience.

You can rent from Avis right online at the GOLDBELT. Which is the ONLY location that is walkable from the cruise docks.

Juneau Car Rental is also on the pier and is where we reserved our car for our stop first week of June. JCR rents older vehicles, but they tend to be at a lower cost than the others. These are the only two I could find that had a offices near the docks. The others required some form of transport.

A bit more information. As mentioned, Avis is in town at the Goldbelt Hotel. This is closest to Cruise terminal E, between the #13 and 'T' on the map below. JCR is on the complete other end near Dock A (the AJ Dock) on the map. There are 4 docks for cruise ships, and Dock A is the furthest out from town and is somewhat separated (walking wise) from B, D, & E. So, depending whom you rent from and where your ship ties up, you could be either really close or really far away (1 mile or more). If a bit of a walk matters to you, you need to do your homework before you leave. :)

Juneau Map

Continuing the story, we are scheduled to be the last of 4 ships to arrive on our day. I was guessing that we might tie up the furthest away from town and called JCR to make a reservation. I spoke to a very nice lady whom volunteered a lot of information on this. Without asking, she mentioned that typically the first ships in will tie up closest to town and the last ships in will be furthest way. She looked up our ship/date and was pretty confident that we would be tied up either at the A dock or the B dock and provided a map where to find them. She also said that by the end of April they should have a schedule of which ships will be at which dock for our June trip and we could call back to get that information if we wanted to know. She was very nice and helpful.

Just wanted to pass this on, :)

Updating my comments above, . . . I found this website on which ships are scheduled to be at which berths.

I think I will check again in the spring, for I noticed some inconsistencies on ship arrival times with a port calendar I found elsewhere. :)

Alaska Cruise Port Info

These are the codes for the 4 Juneau docks relative to the map. Other codes for cruise ships are likely anchor & tender, a list is available on the same website.

A - AJD (AJ Dock)

B - FKL (Franklin Street)

D - CT (Cruise Terminal)

E - AS (Alaska Steamship)