Sorta live from the century!

ozziebound

Well, we're a little over halfway through our seven day century sailing round trip from Vancouver.

Not totally a live blog since it's only our first post and we're not paying for wifi on the ship. But nonetheless, here are a few random thoughts and I'm happy to answer questions...

- I'm on the "liquid Alaska tours" van from downtown Juneau to the Alaskan brewery. Very excited. We walked up to the "depot" (store) just as the 3:40 was leaving, and the 4:40 was sold out but I happily made it off the wait list 'cause a couple people cancelled. Might be a good idea to book online if you wanna do it... Or sign up right after you get off the ship. (UPDATE- the tour/tasting is good so far. Cardy (I think) gives a great presentation of the history of the brewery.)

- about the century... We (mostly I) read Yona of reviews and threads filled with the opposite opinions of "old ship falling apart and they are right to sell it" contrasted with "wonderful classic ship that we're sad to see to."

I'd say I largely agree with the second. As others have said, the officers are seen all over, including the captain and executive chef (is he an officer?). Tons of officers (again including the captain) we're at the captain's club gathering, which also had several free cocktails and wines on offer, and passed out appetizers. I'd say only 25 people at the captains club thing. They've had a few events since for only select and above, which made me sad. :( I'll be select at the end of the cruise though!

- staff on this cruise really are, on the whole, extremely friendly to guests. Most of the waiters, asst. waiters, asst. maître d's, etc. have been really quite nice. Many staff are eager to say "good morning," "good evening" and other greetings before we can give our own smiles or greetings.

- on a similar note... We have found/developed a little secret tip over the past several cruises we've taken. On our honeymoon cruise, we asked one of the servers how to say "thank you" in the Filipino language (Tagalog). The next cruise we asked about Indonesian. I already knew Russian and Spanish. My wife knew Romanian from when she visited a friend there. We asked about Serbian last cruise. (Oh, and Indian recently, though I think I've heard it before.) So now we say thank you all day and night to crew in their own language and truly, they really love it! Highly recommended. It's a great way to show appreciation.

- another thing about crew... In the main dining room, the asst maître d and our waiter (Daniel and Entis) have been very very accommodating about our vegetarian/pescatarian/kosher requirements. The first night, they showed us the special vegetarian menu for the next night and the regular menu AND the Indian menu! And I asked if they'd make me a vegetarian (base) French onion soup, and they did, then the next night we found out they made a standing order for me! AND they had put in a standing order for vegetarian Indian food! Just because we expressed interest!

- Also, about the MDR, at least in my experience, forget about the small (wine) pours for drink package passengers! Our sommelier, yesh, pours HUGE wine glasses, and then fills them up without being asked!

- I have the premium bev package (upgraded from 123go classic) and my wife has the unupgraded classic. We did have a few servers the first couple days trying to push the ugrade on her. Smoothies in room service (part of suite menu?) and smoothies at aqua spa are included in both drink packages, and are both good.

- sky suite is very nice. Love the shower/tub and big (for a ship) bathroom, though I haven't tried a bath yet. My wife said the jets work but aren't hard. Balcony is indeed huge (we're in 1077), though we haven't taken advantage of it as much we shoulda/woulda/coulda.

- butler is very nice. Don't tell anyone, but she saw my wife washing clothes in the sink and said "no, don't do that, I'll give you the first 30 items free for laundry!" I was so excited when my wife told me! We still washed and hung a few things.

- have been consistently disappointed with room service breakfast food.

OK, need to get back on board for the second production show and second formal night!

See you soon!

Adam

Adam - thanks for posting! Glad to hear you think "the glass is half full instead of half empty" as we are about to pull the trigger on an 11 night Alaska cruise on her and since we've never sailed her before, we were a bit hesitant.

Curious if you are hearing much noise from above in your cabin?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise ... IMHO Alaska should be on everyone's bucket list!

Thanks so much for posting! I had a wonderful cruise on the Century a couple months ago and fell in love with her all over again. I'm so excited to sail on her again for the last time next month. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums