Be Honest...Bahamas Ports

M_GO_BLUE

I've only walked down some of the main streets in Nassau. We did enjoy Sharky's close to the pier. Had some conch fritters and, of course, Bahama mamas! We've don't the Atlantis dolphin experience and Aqua Adventure, although it is pricey. When it comes to Freeport, if you're looking for a bit of adventure look up Calabash Eco tours. We did the Inland Blue Hole tour and I cannot say enough good things about it! Shamie and his crew are phenomenal! I would go back in a heartbeat to take another adventure with him!

We leave on Saturday for another Bahamian cruise, although, sadly it doesn't stop in Freeport.. Because this time we are bringing the kids, we are doing Atlantis again, but I know they will love it!

As with anyplace, be smart about safety. I can say, we were never approached by anyone trying to sell us drugs and had no unpleasant experiences.

Are they dumpy and sketchy? Booked on a B2B but now I'm second guessing The Bahamas aspect. Different itineraries, same ship (Liberty). Still want the B2B, and could switch to the week on the other side, but that one will cost twice as much, for places we've already seen (yet another itinerary, just one that includes places we've enjoyed in the past).

Not sure if I should gamble on a potentially dumpy Bahamas week or just go with what I know will be great and pay more...

Help! :confused:

Hi. We have been to both Nassau and Freeport several times each. As with any city you visit, there is always a mix of good and bad. We have never been approached to buy drugs there, but have in Jamaica and St. Thomas. In Nassau, a polite no thank you will take you straight through the crowds at the gate. Please understand tourism dollars are their livelihood, when a ship is in port it is a chance for many locals to benefit such as cab drivers, excursion operators, restaurants, shops, etc. We often just walk up to Junkanoo Beach and swim for a couple of hours. We have also taken snorkeling excursions which were just okay here. By far our favorite snorkeling ever was an excursion to Peterman's Cay in Freeport. We kayaked out to the tiny island, snorkeled all the way around it, and enjoyed a box lunch on the beach before heading back. This was like swimming through different habitats, it was a pure treasure trove of amazing sights. A must do if you have the time. We have also been to Tiano Beach and the Sheraton at Port Lucaya to swim. The waves churned up the water too much for clarity to snorkel when we were at these places.

Sorry this is so wordy, but there is much beauty in the Bahamas. Sometimes you just need to look for it. As with any city, be aware of your surroundings and stay in the tourist areas. Enjoy.

Bahamas B2B turned out great. Stayed on the ship for one Nassau trip and went to Starbucks to use wifi for one. Freeport turned out excellent, went to Grand Lucayan. Grand Turk was Grand Turk. I stayed on the ship, DH got off. Missed HMC as usual for me, four times I've been there and zero times able to tender off the ship. Honestly that pushed everyone off the ship in Nassau the next day so the ship was empty.