Packing List for Alaska

sgutt86

Try the following link, as I found it quite useful! :D

http://www.alaskacruises.com/cruises/alaska-packing-tips.html

Don't overlook the highlighted box in the upper right hand corner! ;)

If traveling with a companion or spouse, divide your checked items into two (or more) suitcases. That way, if one is lost, you will both have some clothing to wear! Secondly, carry papers, passports, medicine and jewelry in your carry-on!

Omg, thank you for the link!

1/2 the amount of clothes & 2x the amount of money!

The best advice was: the three in one jacket from Columbia- it's a waterproof wind breaker with a zip out inner thermal layer. Didn't need anything else. Ok maybe gloves for glacier days.

I bought expensive binoculars- used a few times on balcony, but more important was a goof zoom camera. Awesome pictures! Everyone in our land tour group wanted a copy of my pictures.

I don't think you mentioned the ship, but if it's a Celebrity ship there is NO self-service laundry on board. Which is fine with me because I don't want to spend my vacation doing laundry. I'll budget in some laundry, hand-wash a couple things and our loyalty status perks give us free laundry. I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway.

Use the Space Bags that you can suck the air out. Carry your biggest suitcase and weigh it no more than 45 or 46 lb. to allow for extras coming home. Put heavier things like hiking boots, some knits, jewelry, electronics, etc. in your carry on(s). We each carry a rolling carry on and a small thing that fits on top of that and we take a medium sized to large regular case. Can pull the entire thing ourselves easily. I fold a very large tote in my suitcase and if I end up buying too much I put my top carry on piece inside that and fill the rest with "stuff".

Best advice I ever got was getting a longer length Gore Tex waterproof hooded jacket. Cabela's, $75 on sale. We've worn those everywhere. I have photos of us in our jackets at Stonehenge in England, in Alaska, at Tiger Stadium at LSU football games, in Colorado --- just everywhere! That's the top layer and sometimes it's over just a tee and in the glaciers on the coldest Alaska cruise days it's over a silk under layer, long sleeve tee, light sweater, sweatshirt and that jacket! Take something for your head - I take a wool stretchy band head wrap (like for snow skiing) rather than a full ski cap. I also like the glove liners for ease of camera operating.

I would say 1-2 pr. jeans for your excursions. I never wear jeans on a cruise ship and only in Alaska on excursions. I always wear the same 2-3 bottoms on a week long cruise for dinner and just switch out the tops. Some night tops I dress up with a scarf and jewelry and during the day I wear it plain so it does double duty.

Minimize shoes ladies! I have brought too many before and just like at home I end up having one or two that "live" by the door and tend to wear those all the time.

Don't stress on the packing or laundry though. You're going to have a fabulous time. Alaska is so wonderful. We have yet another Alaska cruise booked - our first northbound.