Anytime Dining - Prepaid Gratuities

So, they pay more tax, is that a bad thing? I agree with the poster above, they need to suck it up.

I cant see the problem with having it included in the fare! we have been doing it in Australia with some cruiselines for well over a year now and Royal has just jumped onboard with Australian sailings it seems.

Many if not most People still tip extra cash on Australian cruises but more through cruise tradition and usually only to evening waitstaff and room steward last night.

At least Australian based staff know they will receive there full portion of grats no matter how much the company decides to gives them because everyone without exception has paid:)

With so many cruisers being new to cruising and so many now being full families these days I cant say I blame some for removing "suggested" auto grats especially when faced with an option of lots of dollars in Tips or household bills when we get home:)

Hurray for this thread. I'm fed up of people thinking I'm stiffing (a new word I've learnt on here) for either wanting to pay my own tips or for the cruise line to ensure staff are paid fairly by upping the cruise fare and paying them a proper wage.

So, they pay more tax, is that a bad thing? I agree with the poster above, they need to suck it up.

I certainly get it, but. Think the cruise lines should accept it. There is so much talk about pax stuffing staff, when really its the cruise lines trying to minimize their tax bill.

And now...let me bring you both to reality. A company answers to its shareholders. When they pay more tax, they need to make more profit...because they cant make less profit. So, they will increase prices twice to make this happen:

once to offset the gratuity...

again to offset the increase in taxes paid because we all willy nilly wanted 1 bill and them to suck it up...and didnt think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects of that...only ourselves.

Lol..."they pay more taxes..thats a good thing" ....Wow...that means you pay more money too....

Yeah, hear you...it would be easier for us, but not for them. They exist to make money and the reason they dont change this policy is strictly money related for them. Get over it. 6 year old girls wish for unicorns too...but they never come...

Edited by Deptacon

Hurray for this thread. I'm fed up of people thinking I'm stiffing (a new word I've learnt on here) for either wanting to pay my own tips or for the cruise line to ensure staff are paid fairly by upping the cruise fare and paying them a proper wage.

RCCL is a US based company not a European one. Our tax system is different. Its apples and oranges when calling for a flat wage and getting rid of gratutites...let alone the culture of tipping vs higher wages but paying higher taxes/VAT etc....

Believe it or not, they make more money with tipping/gratuities than a flat wage. My wife has worked in the restaurant business for 10 years...from serving, to bartending, to managing. a flat wage vs tipping would reduce their income.

Edited by Deptacon

So how come the same cruise companies can include the grats in the fare on all Australian cruises plus Australia has for a few years now had the biggest cruising growth:confused:

because Australians don't tip ever....at all.... so either the employees quit...or they change the policy. they changed it for your cruises....doesnt mean they need to take a hit on thier bottom line industry wide....just with you guys.

And now...let me bring you both to reality. A company answers to its shareholders. When they pay more tax, they need to make more profit...because they cant make less profit. So, they will increase prices twice to make this happen:

once to offset the gratuity...

again to offset the increase in taxes paid because we all willy nilly wanted 1 bill and them to suck it up...and didnt think about the 2nd and 3rd order effects of that...only ourselves.

Lol..."they pay more taxes..thats a good thing" ....Wow...that means you pay more money too....

Yeah, hear you...it would be easier for us, but not for them. They exist to make money and the reason they dont change this policy is strictly money related for them. Get over it. 6 year old girls wish for unicorns too...but they never come...

I understand business. And believe me, I know that RC are purely here to make money (unlike lots of posters on this forum).

I AGREE with what you are saying. I am saying, that they are saving money and NOT doing it for the pax or the staff. Mine is an ethical issue. What makes me cross is when people say that RC is doing its best and that we should make up wages.

I know exactly why they want to market they way they do. I just don't agree with it.

Edited by Adayatatime

I understand business. And believe me, I know that RC are purely here to make money (unlike lots of posters on this forum).

I AGREE with what you are saying. I am saying, that they are saving money and NOT doing it for the pax or the staff. Mine is an ethical issue. What makes me cross is when people say that RC is doing its best and that we should make up wages.

I know exactly why they want to market they way they do. I just don't agree with it.

But, again...not accurate. They make more money with tips/gratuity than with a higher wage. My wife has been in the restaurant business for years at many levels. Its clear as day. Its just not a clear consist flow, not same amount every day...but over the long term they make more money

The only people it helps is the cruiser because it consolidates the bill and makes it easier for us instead of split up.

By paying it as a gratuity you take out a middle man...the tax man. They only tax it once, income for the employee (if they declare it, if not..then its not taxed at all) instead of twice if paid as a higher wage through your cruise bill.... income form the cruise..then income for the employee (no longer an option to declare it or not)

Edited by Deptacon