Internet on the Fantasy

tikilover

I'm pretty technology illiterate, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand my options for checking my email/connecting to the internet while on the Disney Fantasy.

I will have an iPhone with me. I planned to put it in airplane mode and only connect to the free Disney Fantasy Wi-Fi so that I can use their Navigator app. Is there also a Wi-Fi package that I can buy that would allow me to access my email and the internet on my iPhone? If yes, does that impact my AT&T iPhone bill (and if yes, which aspect of the bill is impacted? Data usage?) Once we dock in St. Thomas, I planned to get out of airplane mode to make some calls (I realize that I might need to set up an international plan with AT&T.) Can I make calls when in airplane mode, or do I switch it out of airplane mode, and then will all of my emails come through.

Alternatively, is there a data usage plan that you can purchase to use time on the Disney Fantasy computers?

Thanks so much for your help (in advance!)

I'm pretty technology illiterate, so I'm hoping someone can help me understand my options for checking my email/connecting to the internet while on the Disney Fantasy.

I will have an iPhone with me. I planned to put it in airplane mode and only connect to the free Disney Fantasy Wi-Fi so that I can use their Navigator app. Is there also a Wi-Fi package that I can buy that would allow me to access my email and the internet on my iPhone? If yes, does that impact my AT&T iPhone bill (and if yes, which aspect of the bill is impacted? Data usage?) Once we dock in St. Thomas, I planned to get out of airplane mode to make some calls (I realize that I might need to set up an international plan with AT&T.) Can I make calls when in airplane mode, or do I switch it out of airplane mode, and then will all of my emails come through.

Alternatively, is there a data usage plan that you can purchase to use time on the Disney Fantasy computers?

Thanks so much for your help (in advance!)

Here's the link to the DCL page with info about the internet packages:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/

One note, there are a limited number of laptops to be checked out for use. Or you can bring your own computer.

We are a month off the Magic.

As noted there are various levels of internet packages. My daughter used her i-phone exclusively while on the ship. In no way did it impact her AT&T. I don't know enough about modes....but there was an internet "expert" on board (a CM) who gave advice as to what apps to close so as not to use internet other than what you specifically want. ''We were VERY pleased with the new internet system--MUCH better than a year ago.

As noted, there are a few laptops available for use, but you will likely be better off with your own device.

I was on the Wonder in March 2014 and needed to keep in touch with my parents (with health issues).

I bought the $39 internet package and used it to make FaceTime voice calls and video calls to my parents. It was perfect and once we realized how little data a voice call was, we started making video calls. We showed my parents Cozumel as we docked and Castaway Cay (from the ship). We video called them one evening from our cabin for probably 20 minutes or more.

I actually had data left over on a 5 day cruise. I had no impact at all to my AT&T bill. I turned the phone on airplane mode and turned off all data roaming and turned email to manual fetch just to be sure I didn't waste my data package on anything.

If the people you need to talk to don't have Apple products, ask around or talk to the reps at a local AT&T store for other voice over internet apps that work with other phones. There are plenty out there and the rep I asked offered up the names of a few she knew about.